need advice on key largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cozumel insists that we hire a DM for my 10 yr old. Both my boyfriend and i are DMs so I refuse to hire one. That was why we changed destinations...not because of the money.

We weren't planning on taking the kids to the Spiegel grove. I won't even let my 12 year old dive Jersey yet.

is it just a specific operator in cozumel or do all of them make you pay for a divemaster? im not a divemaster, but i definitely dont need someone to hold my hand through the whole dive (besides, if i did i have my wife for that)

scuba41girl:
cozumel insists that we hire a DM for my 10 yr old. Both my boyfriend and i are DMs so I refuse to hire one. That was why we changed destinations...not because of the money.

We weren't planning on taking the kids to the Spiegel grove. I won't even let my 12 year old dive Jersey yet.

My suggestion would be to PM KeyLargoBrent. We went out with him in March. He took great care of our dive group. 3 divers 3 snorkelers, one of which was pregnant at the time. He bent over backwards for us. He's truly a Great Guy. His web site is http://www.bluewaterdiver.net/ If you would like to take a look.

My wife and I got a great Expedia package. Airfare, rental car and motel for 7 days at the Ramada Limited. The entire package was about $1400.

The Ramada limited is right next to the Holiday Inn and if you stay at one you can use the other's pools, etc. They surround the Marina Del-mar and there are several Dive/Snorkel/Glass bottom boats that use the marina. (The original African Queen is there too)-

We dove (2 days) with Sea Dwellers (they use the marina and it is 100 yards to the boat from the hotel) and had good service (www.sea-dwellers.com). They were recommended by our LDS and their shop is across the street from the motel. Also dove on the Spegel Grove with "Capt Slate's Dive shop. We had good luck, no current and good viz. (I hear it can be rough however).

When we hit Key Largo, we stopped at the Chamber of Commerce Welcome Center and learned about a NEW Dive Museum (mile marker 80 something). We went and they have a large collection of dive gear from wooden diving bells (reporduction) through modern equipment. A little heavy on hard hat but very interesting.

Pennecamp State park is also worth a stop.

Enjoy!!!!

Conch Republic or Quiescence are two really good operations. You want to stay with shallow reefs for your kids (just my opinion here). The Spiegel Grove can be very challenging or it can be an easy AOW dive. It just depends on the conditions at the moment and they can change fairly quickly. The Benwood is a great shallow wreck dive with a lot of history and a lot of sea life. One of my favorite dives. Have fun.

r&wc:
is it just a specific operator in cozumel or do all of them make you pay for a divemaster? im not a divemaster, but i definitely dont need someone to hold my hand through the whole dive (besides, if i did i have my wife for that)
are you saying your wife is a better diver? or should i say admitting :confused: very impressive male ego you have there :D

all of them were telling us the same thing. it's ridiculous and i'm not paying for a DM. it's the law to dive with one of theirs (or at least that is what i was told). i would rather change destinations.

scuba41girl:
are you saying your wife is a better diver? or should i say admitting :confused: very impressive male ego you have there :D

QUOTE]
although she is a good diver i meant that i would rather be holding her hand than a divemasters :mooner:

If you stay at the Holiday Inn, Sea Dwellers boat is right there next to the hotel, very convenient. Their dive shop is right across the street from the Holiday Inn. I've stayed there and dove with them a few times. I have to recommend them. I just reallized I basicly said that same thing as DHMO Diver, well I second the motion.
http://www.sea-dwellers.com/

I'll jump at any chance to promote Blue Water divers! Definately check them out!

r&wc:
Coz is notorious for the cattle call boats and their follow the leader diving. Since it is drift diving...it's not really very likely that you'll have much variation in your dive, anyway. You go with the current. But I hate being told to come up 40 minutes into a dive. Or 30 on the second dive...when I still have half my air. Very annoying.

I dove with Dive Paradise last year (right before Wilma hit) and after a few days I got switched over to one of their "EDP" boats. It was a panga, only 5-6 divers, and they let you dive your own profile. Longer bottom times, better sites, etc. But I had to endure a few days of the cattle call before that happened. And then you had to have the blessing of the DM for them to switch you. But the trip certainly improved after that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom