Need advice on bouyancy control

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
My daughter and I went diving(or tried to dive) yesterday. She didn't do too well and we ended up calling it a day without actually making a dive. It seems that her biggest problem was the fear that she would sink into 300 feet of water and die. Basically she doesn't trust the BCD to control her descent rate or to stop her at a desired depth. We started in an area that was 10 feet deep and the bottom was visible from the surface. What bothered her was that the bottom sloped away into deeper water and she felt powerless to avoid going deeper than the planned 20 to 30 feet we intended.

I'm hoping that some of the experienced divers and instructor can provide me with some training exercises to help her develope confidence with using her BCD.

She has registered on these boards under the name Goosie if you would like to address some encouraging words and advice to her.

We are inland divers so viz is certainly not swimming pool or tropical in nature.

Bouyancy control is something that can be achieved through proper weighting and time in the water. Practice in a swimming pool that is 10 to 12 feet would be helpful and provide an opportunity for her to gain confidence in this skill. You could make a game out of it by setting up an obstacle course of anchored hoola-hoops, set at various depths, that she could adjust her bouyancy and swim through.
Good luck Goosie, and have fun!

(note: i'm not an instructor, just a diver willing to give advice)

While in the pool, have her practice fin pivots and hovering. Both of these excercises will help demonstrate how the BC assists in achieving neutral bouyancy. Hovering will also assist you in adjusting weights and gear so that her trim is dead on (no rolling to one side or pitching heads up/down).

What JAW and TexasMike have said is exactly what I'd suggest.

Maybe start off by lying face down in water that Goosie can stand up in and just practice deflating and inflating.

There is no point in going out into deeper water until you can trust the equipment your using.

At the end of the day, diving is meant to be fun - if you can't find it fun - it might not be for you.

Goosie, my best friend tried diving out in the sea...she had a panic attack when she was out there and never wanted to try it again. Then me and my partner (who is a qualified instructor) took her to a pool.....she loved it.

Not all people take to scuba diving like fish to water. Infact I'd say if you ask most divers they'd say they started in 6-10 ft of water. Don't try running before crawlling.

I'm sure we'll be seeing you in the deep blue in no time! Till then, good luck and keep us informed! :mean:

Drop a line from a boat or a float that she can use to assist with accent and decent. That may alleviate the fear of the abyss and provide a reference for practicing bouyancy skills.

I can't add anything to practicing the skills but I would like to say to Goosie. Hang in there the comfort will come and remember your Dad won't let anything happen to you. I have alot of faith in that. Also if I am diving with you all (which I hope to get to do alot this summer) I won't let anything happen to you either. Stay within your comfort level and keep practicing and it will come.

Good luck.

Chad

I'm just a newbie, but...

When I started diving, descending in open water was a big deal. Unless you have access to a really deep pool, it's hard to practise -- in a normal pool, you hit the bottom almost immediately, so you don't feel you're controlling the descent. Seems like a whole new skill in open water.

I agree with awap -- descending on a line might help. If she feels she's plunging towards the bottom, she can grab it and sort herself out. Plus it might help to have something to focus on, especially if the viz is poor.

Z

jbd
Take some slates, hang them with a 6" string to a descent line every couple feet or so, in shallow water, 20 ft. have her descent and stop at each slate. Have her write anything, name, pci, time, dinner time whatever. It will teach her how to stop and even do a small task at any depth she chooses. I hope it helps.
I do this in advanced courses, except I run a line horizontally, 100 ft or so and hang slates.

I'll need some additional background information.

How old is Goosie? Is she generally fearful? Or is this an islolated incident? Is she motivated to dive? How long has she been certified? How many dives has she made after certification? When was her last dive before the attempt you described? What was the visibility during your unsuccessful attempt? What is the depth in the body of water in which you were trying to dive? Was this a river? Lake? Pond? Quarry? Has she ever dived in those conditions before? Since you were her buddy, I'd like you to answer the same questions for yourself. It'll be better if Goosie answers the questions for herself.

Feel free to respond in a PM if you'd like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom