Need advice from Tampa divers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeguerrero

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Floridians,

I was recommended I post here for my question. I hope you divers can assist me...

I am a California diver that flys out to Tampa on April 8th to the 18th, get to visit my mom in Apollo beach.

I'm so excited about getting the chance to dive other waters other than Monterey which is 48-54 degrees.

I dive 7mm full suit, 7mm hooded vest, 3mm heated torso, 4mm gloves, 6mm boots. I can hang with about 3 dives with the last being very cold towards the end of my dive.

I'm 38 years old and don't have the best tolerance to cold water but if the viz is nice and the fish come out, I do forget about the temp.

I would like to know what you guys would recommend for me for a wetsuit and perhaps a good dive shop when I arrive.

My mom says there is one in the city of Brandon and that I can charter a two tank boat dive for $85 bucks.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated and taken.

Thanks,

Mike G

Well in April the water should be in the low to mid 70's. So I would think a 3 to 5 mil. full suit should be more than enough. There are 3 shops in the Brandon area. The shop your Mom was talking about is Scuba Quest. It is right on State Road 60. It has a great selection of gear and the staff is a pretty good bunch of guys(I DM for them so I am slightly biased). The other shops in the area are good as well but the only one in Brandon that does charters on their own boat is Scuba Quest. The boat runs out of Bradenton and it runs just about every day. Their web site is scubaquestusa.com You will find all the info you need about them there. The Manager of the store is a member of the board as well so I'm sure he will chime in here to say hi and give you some more info. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. You came to the right place. There is a lot of diving around here as well as a lot of very informed divers. When the time gets a little closer and you get something set up just post it and maybe some of us can come out and dive with you. By the way. Welcome to our area of the board.

Thanks for the quick response to my question. I'm getting excited about diving Florida's Gulf real soon. If water temps get to where you are talking about, a 3mm plus my 3mm heated torso with 6mm booties and 4mm gloves with no hood should keep me warm.

If the water does however stay in the low 60's I probably should bring my 7mm with no hood.

I did send an email to the boat shop at Scuba Quest and they were very friendly and gave me some info on the days the boat goes out.

Can you give me an idea of what type of viz to expect in the Gulf and what dive sites the boat caters to?

Thanks,

MG

Thanks for the quick response to my question. I'm getting excited about diving Florida's Gulf real soon. If water temps get to where you are talking about, a 3mm plus my 3mm heated torso with 6mm booties and 4mm gloves with no hood should keep me warm.

If the water does however stay in the low 60's I probably should bring my 7mm with no hood.

I did send an email to the boat shop at Scuba Quest and they were very friendly and gave me some info on the days the boat goes out.

Can you give me an idea of what type of viz to expect in the Gulf and what dive sites the boat caters to?

Thanks,

MG

Viz is typically excellent this time of year. Don't quote me on that because as we know, as sooon as that is said it will turn to crap. Diving out here around spring time is my favorite time to dive this area.

ScubaQuest has some great people working for them. Brandon should chime in here soon and let ya know about the dive sites.

As GRD said, when you know your dives post up and hopefully some of us can join ya :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom