Need a single part - Hollis won't sell

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apeks would own the market in the US if they sold for the same price here as in Europe. But they charge about double here than what they go for in Europe.
That sounds weird... they are priced about similarly here than comparable Scubapro and Mares and Aqualung regs.
Apeks regs are pretty popular here, maybe partially because they work pretty well in cold water out of the box and are easy to service and as said the price is pretty much the same than the alternatives so why would I purchase a holiday reg set which is more difficult to get serviced and is not cold water compatible if the Apeks one fits better my needs and pretty much all the dive stores can service them even if they only sell for example Scubapro regs :)

Yeah, what I need is the valve diaphragm for the 500SE 2nd stage. The only one I've found that contains that valve is this one:

Hollis Service Kit for 500SE 2nd stage

Since this is the reg I have, all the talk about parts for other regs & 1st stages, while interesting, doesn't help my plight.

And, @W W Meixner - give me a break. You guys act like it requires some sort of combination of rocket science and brain surgery.. In almost all cases it's straightforward, especially if you have the service manual and the tools. The 500SE doesn't even have any special tools. Here's the list: small flat blade screwdriver, 1/4" deep wall socket, 9/16 open end wrench, 13/16"open end wrench, 15/16" open end wrench, wooden dowel, O-ring pick. See anything exotic or complicated to use? Nope, didn't think so. In fact the part I need to replace is a simple unscrew, drop out the part, drop in the new part, screw it back together - done.
This one?
Hollis Scuba Regulator Second Stage Parts Diaphragm 500SE 6845

How distant is distant is when scuba first became popular in the 50s and 60s. Vance Harlow mentioned in his book that the manufacturers used to sell travel kits which were just rebuild kits under a different name. Not sure when they stopped. As mentioned, in other countries kits are freely available.

I know that a certificate is worthless. DA Aquamaster lamented that even with years of experience Scubapro would not sell him parts. He wanted to set up an independent service shop. Others mentioned the same.

The proper tools are cheap if you know where to purchase them. I have 2 magnehelics I paid about $20-25 each for. An IP gauge is $20 and you can purchase an ultrasonic cleaners for $60 (with coupon) at Harbor Freight or eBay. The best bet for self-service is to find a regulator that does not require many special tools. My compressed air source is two scuba tanks. One high and one low. Apeks has a flash presentation out showing how to service their regulators using a sink to measure cracking pressure.

If you pick your regulator well then self-service is not a problem. Also I do not fix regs for others just myself.

AMS...

I agree 100% with the last sentence of your narrative...Poseidon has been my choice for well picked...

Having said that no one ever went wrong with proper training/certification...nothing wrong with using a sink or bucket full of water to set second stage cracking pressure...after-all...a magnehelic is only a mechanical device to measure inches of water...

A lot of rebreather manufacturers still have/sell ''travel/save-a-dive kits''...and having said that...you still require the knowledge...which may demand training/certification...to be able to use this ''kit'' safely and effectively...

With rebreathers...release waivers are required to be signed when your unit is purchased...there are no release waivers signed when open circuit reg sets are purchased...this is the primary reason why manufacturers want ONLY factory authorized reps servicing their products...

No rocket science...or brain surgery...just liability...

Best...

Warren

No rocket science...or brain surgery...just liability...

Best...

Warren

Agree is liability, but I think that's just one of several factors.
Greed,
ignorance on the side of the people deciding those "manufacturer policies",
arrogance thinking all the customers are drooling idiots.

Apeks would own the market in the US if they sold for the same price here as in Europe. But they charge about double here than what they go for in Europe.

Are you saying the next time I travel to EU, I should buy a set?
Agree is liability, but I think that's just one of several factors.
Greed,
ignorance on the side of the people deciding those "manufacturer policies",
arrogance thinking all the customers are drooling idiots.

Have you walked around Walmart? :wink:

Just kidding.

Reactions: Ana
Selling parts only to dealers may be illegal but no one has taken them to court. I can walk into any car dealership and purchase any part I want without a hassle.

If I scrap tthe Hollis I will look into Apeks - do they have a side exhaust?

Nope - this one Hollis Service Kit for 500SE 2nd stage

If I scrap tthe Hollis I will look into Apeks - do they have a side exhaust?

Besides Hollis (Oceanic) I only know of Poseidon that uses a side exhaust. There were a few in the past, Tekna was one and more recently the Aqualung Kronos was another.

If you want to do your own maintenance and have a side exhaust then Poseidon is what you want. You can get parts from NESS and DGX.

AMS...
With rebreathers...release waivers are required to be signed when your unit is purchased...there are no release waivers signed when open circuit reg sets are purchased...this is the primary reason why manufacturers want ONLY factory authorized reps servicing their products...

I didn't need to sign a release waiver when I bought my Ford, or Chevy, or Honda, or VW and they will sell me any part I want. I can even purchase a racing engine even though I am not a race car driver. The primary reason scuba manufacturers want ONLY factory authorized people servicing their regs is to keep people coming into dive shops. They can certainly ask someone to sign a waiver when purchasing parts.

Besides Hollis (Oceanic) I only know of Poseidon that uses a side exhaust. There were a few in the past, Tekna was one and more recently the Aqualung Kronos was another.

If you want to do your own maintenance and have a side exhaust then Poseidon is what you want. You can get parts from NESS and DGX.

AND parts are not restricted anymore, AND you can take a factory service class as an end user.

To all those yacking about liability nonsense, if it was purely a liability thing then explain this. I am an authorized Apeks technician, or rather was. Since I no longer work for an Apeks dealer, my certification is no longer valid and I am no longer able to purchase parts. I am trained, my training has not expired, but because I do not work for a dealer, it is not valid. The BS about liability in this country is just that, BS. It is all about how to keep money in the dive shops to keep them open, same reason they recommend annual service which is far too frequent for any regulator

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom