Need a single part - Hollis won't sell

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AND .........
The BS about liability in this country is just that, BS. It is all about how to keep money in the dive shops to keep them open, same reason they recommend annual service which is far too frequent for any regulator
Ohhhhhh Now you did it! You're obviously displaying a cowboy-like behavior.
Disregard the sacred annual service? Blasphemy!
Next thing you'll say that anyone without a manufacturer cert that services their own regulator is gonna die.
Did you forget this is a life and death gear.

Oh Ana and Tbone1004, how could you let the cat out of the bag in this fashion? You are evil people and divestore owners are going to die like flies and lie in pauper's graves because of your posting, Shame, shame, shame, shame (as you are walked through the streets of Kings Landing).

Since I don't go for annual service on any of my 20+ regulators, I must be dead.
And I've been dead for over 30 years, but didn't realize it yet.

Michael

AND parts are not restricted anymore, AND you can take a factory service class as an end user.

To all those yacking about liability nonsense, if it was purely a liability thing then explain this. I am an authorized Apeks technician, or rather was. Since I no longer work for an Apeks dealer, my certification is no longer valid and I am no longer able to purchase parts. I am trained, my training has not expired, but because I do not work for a dealer, it is not valid. The BS about liability in this country is just that, BS. It is all about how to keep money in the dive shops to keep them open, same reason they recommend annual service which is far too frequent for any regulator

TBone...

I'm in exactly the same position you are...all the brand certifications...and no longer affiliated with a shop...

I deal with one US based supplier who sells kits for the brands they sell...and stick to those brands...it's that simple...absolelutely nothing wrong with their ''house brand''...or Poseidon...

Some of the Taiwan favourites I do not service at all...I normally get 3/4 seasons use out of them...having thoroughly cleaned and tested after each use...make minor adjustments if necessary...and recycle them...I see no point in wasting time on $100. firsts...and $150. seconds...

Aside from ''spares''...I now only have the gear I need...the problem with a lot of divers and I used to be one myself...is having far too much of everything...and it all costs $$$ to keep it serviceable...no point at all in having gear that is used for nothing else but ''bragging rights''...

As far as ''shops''...LDS or otherwise...haven't been near one in years...I service my own cylinders...and get fills at dive destinations...

I run my tanks into Toronto to ''FlameTamers'' once every five years for hydro...

Everything diving is geared around keeping the ''shops'' open...I choose to take the ''road less travelled''...and it serves me well...

Best...

Warren

But on a happy note, ams511 pointed out to me that while I could look at pictures I apparently can't read. :banghead: He found a place that sells the kit (which I have ordered - so I will die soon). It seems they use the same picture for all their kits - the picture is actually for a 1st stage and so it didn't look right. But as ams511 pointed out to me, it clearly said Hollis 500SE 2nd stage. I called and confirmed with the company and ordered immediatly. Thank you ams511.

When I was at the LDS to pick the reg back up (since it would be $90 to service it) I had them top off a couple of tanks that were about 2500psi. I paid for a full fill even though the owner didn't want to charge me. I told him it's as much trouble to do a top off as a full fill. So I do try to throw a bit of money to my LDS. I just don't want to spend more than a third of what the reg originally cost on a yearly basis.

@W W Meixner

I like your most recent post but it seems to run counter to what you posted before. Why I don't doubt training and experience are helpful at servicing regulators the problem is that it is difficult if not impossible to get from most manufacturers.

According these same manufacturers, you with your training and experience are no different than me, a yahoo with a wrench. Kind a funny isn't it?

I have far too much of everything too, both old and new. That is why I tell new comers to the world of self-service to standardize on a reg that is simple to service, can find parts for, and doesn't require too many specialized tools.

As far as the Taiwan specials go, they are not much less expensive than what an Apeks regulator sells for in Europe, So why not service them? Think of the environment.

As I mentioned in another post, the traditional dive shop model is dead, the industry has not come up with a replacement model. They instead are trying to milk the old model until it is completely unsustainable. That is why so many dive shops are going under.

@W W Meixner

I like your most recent post but it seems to run counter to what you posted before. Why I don't doubt training and experience are helpful at servicing regulators the problem is that it is difficult if not impossible to get from most manufacturers.

According these same manufacturers, you with your training and experience are no different than me, a yahoo with a wrench. Kind a funny isn't it?

I have far too much of everything too, both old and new. That is why I tell new comers to the world of self-service to standardize on a reg that is simple to service, can find parts for, and doesn't require too many specialized tools.

As far as the Taiwan specials go, they are not much less expensive than what an Apeks regulator sells for in Europe, So why not service them? Think of the environment.

As I mentioned in another post, the traditional dive shop model is dead, the industry has not come up with a replacement model. They instead are trying to milk the old model until it is completely unsustainable. That is why so many dive shops are going under.

AMS...

Not counter...I don't service what I have no certification for...with what I have now...I service my Poseidon equipment...the ''house brand/Taiwan favourites get cycled...

As far as the environment...cycling/recycling is better for those receiving my recycled gear than having to by new gear...there are a lot of divers in the Lake Muskoka area diving with my ''old'' gear...

Those who know me...know my new equipment is like new...and my old equipment is better...

I never have any trouble getting rid of anything...

And...in a few more years...I'll be getting rid of everything for the last time...

Oh...before I forget...Apeks...is a Taiwan special...

Best...

Warren

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom