Need a single part - Hollis won't sell

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AMS...and all others...

You can all see quite clearly the the dog is chasing its' tail...

Parent companies...divisions bought/divisions not bought...who used to sell what...and to whom...

I've decided...eventhough I formerly supported a few of the hobbled brands bought by Huish...BARE...being one...that completely staying away from the whole lot...is the best policy...for me...

There are...after all...lots of alternatives...good alternatives...with operators willing to bend over backwards to provide dedicated customer support...

W...

What dog and what tail? In the distant past the industry sold parts to divers, then as popularity increased they stopped. This was not just Oceanic, but Aqualung and Scubapro and many other brands do the same.

I guess Dive Rite broke the mold then followed by Zeagle. Then you have some of the other minor brands like HOG and Deep6. By far most of the market does not sell parts to divers.

@ams511 I think those kits are for the Apeks regulators.....

Not sure if you remember but Zeagle sold the Apeks TX series of regulators here in the US up until 2000 (I think). When Apeks was going bankrupt Zeagle looked into buying them and passed and started their own line. Aqualung bought Apeks and then raised the price of the parts kits to Zeagle. The Apeks regs sold by Zeagle had a parts for life program. That is why Zeagle did the trade-in program for the old Apeks regs because they could no longer honor the parts for life. The Zeagle-designed regs were similar to Apeks but are not identical.

I like Zeagle products but I would not purchase anything after they were sold because I don't know the status of the parts availability. They could shut it down tomorrow.

Personally, I have never figured out what Huish wanted with Oceanic. Unless they wanted a mid-line brand or more distribution. They had a premier brand with Atomic and they had a "tech" brand with Zeagle. Oceanic and Hollis are just overlap.

Aren't there other factors, such as SKU management and legal liability to name a few?

Every separate part has a cost to manage the supply and distribution. SKU reduction is good business.

Selling parts to those who have not received training is a HUGE legal liability. One good lawsuit and you're out of business.

@gr8jab brake pads and rotors for cars... nuff said. Regulators can kill you, but not someone else. Bad brakes can kill a lot of people.

Most other countries have laws in place that forbid the restriction of parts which is why you can get Aqualung/Scubapro parts freely in Europe. That has been beaten to death several times on here.

Brakes schmakes. Auto manufacturers are huge with teams of lawyers to defend against inventive lawsuits, acting as a deterrent. A small scuba company would be shuttered by the costs of defending even a poorly conceived lawsuit. We are so litigious in the USA it is often the primary factor in decision making.

Topic Shift:

Where is the line drawn in the EU? If parts are sold, they must be sold to anyone? What if they only offer OEM refurbishment that includes new parts, but don't sell parts outside the factory (such as factory replaceable batteries)? Just curious.

Where is the line drawn in the EU? If parts are sold, they must be sold to anyone? What if they only offer OEM refurbishment that includes new parts, but don't sell parts outside the factory (such as factory replaceable batteries)? Just curious.
I can order at least Apeks parts freely here from multiple places.
Though the LDS can sell them very cheaply if I let them install the kits as well so I haven't bothered doing it by myself :p

have not seen other regulator brands parts for sale so far except the cold water kits so it can be an Apeks thing?

Even if it were true that one can obtain parts in Europe, shops tend to not sell them...it is a bit easier to find parts online but not tremendously easier than in the US. The prevailing mentality in at least Western Europe is to take your regs to a shop for service as most divers obtain specific diving insurance and there is a fear that if there is an issue with a regulator that causes injury or death the mutual/insurance company will not cover/pay if someone services their own regulator and they are not certified by the manufacturer to do so. Shops tend to not sell parts to the public because it is not in their interest to do so even if the law provides for it,

In the US the issue of parts availability is fear of lawsuit. In Western Europe the issue of parts availability is the economic impact on the shop coupled with the fear the individual diver's insurance will not provide coverage in case of a regulator related issue.

-Z

Even if it were true that one can obtain parts in Europe, shops tend to not sell them...it is a bit easier to find parts online but not tremendously easier than in the US. The prevailing mentality in at least Western Europe is to take your regs to a shop for service as most divers obtain specific diving insurance and there is a fear that if there is an issue with a regulator that causes injury or death the mutual/insurance company will not cover/pay if someone services their own regulator and they are not certified by the manufacturer to do so. Shops tend to not sell parts to the public because it is not in their interest to do so even if the law provides for it,

In the US the issue of parts availability is fear of lawsuit. In Western Europe the issue of parts availability is the economic impact on the shop coupled with the fear the individual diver's insurance will not provide coverage in case of a regulator related issue.

-Z
We have pretty good national health insurance for all the citizens covering chamber treatments etc so it might have something to do with it.
as said the service parts are very easy to get for Apeks here (they are listed in the shop catalogs and webshop pages like any other product) but if you walk to the store in person they probably offer to install the kit for you for very good price unless you specifically want to do it by yourself

We have pretty good national health insurance for all the citizens covering chamber treatments etc so it might have something to do with it

Yes, even in Belgium the health insurance will usually cover a chamber ride, but if there is a death or one needs treatment outside of Belgium while diving on vacation, the dive specific insurance will most likely refuse to pay if it is found that one serviced their own equipment and they were not specifically certified to do so. That is my understanding.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom