Need a set of drysuit fins - recommendations please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdelprete

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
OK, so for 12 years now I have used a size larger Avanti Quattro solid fin. They are a bit rigid yes but have worked very well for me and have strong enough legs to handle them.

Now that I have a dry suit and a big foot I need a bigger fin. Surely I have heard about split fins, good and bad (such as for surface swimming) but all in all I wanted to see what's out there, general opinions and recommendations.

Aside from this how good are the spring straps?

:cheers: Thanks for your time if you respond. :cheers:

JIM

Beuchat X-jets have a very big foot pockets, quite stiff, and I really like them. I also FAR prefer spring straps, it makes life easy getting in and out of fins with lots of bulky equipment on you.

My vote goes for one of three, the traditional jet fin, the XS Scuba turtle if you have gigantor feet and they float, the turtles are negative and stiff. or the lighter and neutral OMS Slipstreams. All three are great drysuit fins.

Yeah the standard fin straps are well becoming a thing of the past and it does seem to easy to slip on and off. I'll take a peek at the fins mentioned. Foot size is 13 but DS boot is 14. Thanks again guys.

I also wear a size 14 rockboot... I use the Scubapro jetfins (with springs), love 'em.

can I ask ACR what size fins you bought?

I've just read some reviews too on the OMS and Scubapro fins and all seem great and the cost too....Again thanks for the feedback all, much appreciated.

Jim

Now that I have a dry suit and a big foot I need a bigger fin. Surely I have heard about split fins, good and bad (such as for surface swimming) but all in all I wanted to see what's out there, general opinions and recommendations.
Aside from this how good are the spring straps?
You will get some strong 'personal preference' opinions. Many of us use SP Jetfins (I do) with a DS and love them. They are somewhat negative and, with gaiters, tend to offset the 'floaty foot' syndrome. The 'Jetfin' equivalents (e.g. Rocket Fins) are also somewhat popular. You will probably get a mixed, and polarized, reaction on splits. It may be a bit difficult to find a big enough size in the JetFin if you have VERY large DS boots but that is an exceptional issue (when your DS boots are 12s for example). As for spring straps, you will find few, if any, who will do anything but praise them. They are good, durable, and provide security. There are rare reports of failure - the metal breaks - but these are very uncommon. Relatively easy to attach to Jets.

yeah not sure I could make the jump to split fins with all the different opinions and my likeness of solid fins at this point. The SP Jetfins and OMS equivalents seem decent and the way to go.

An out of the blue suggestion here.

I was down at Salvo last weekend, and needed a set of spring straps on my drysuit pair of Jets. Barry asked me to have a look at 2 kinds of new fins he was bringing in. They are essentially Jetfin clones but one of them had a footpocket that fell right between the XL Jet and the XXL jet. Both sets of fins were stiffer than my Jets on two axis. I told him, if I were in the market for a fin, I would certainly buy one of those.

Also I prefered his spring straps to any other's I've seen. I have Manta's on my other Jets, and I've seen or used a few other types. I like the rubber covered ones, without pull loops the best of all since they lay flat and don't move around.

Just my $.02.

Back
Top Bottom