Need a new wetsuit... Advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It also depends upon your body configuration. I find that most wetsuits assume a fairly slender body - something I vaguely remember from my college football days but not seen for about 25 yrs. IF I find one that is big enough "around" I find that I am too short for it. If that is an issue for you look at a custom suit. I was able to get a 3 mil for about $250 from liquid fit some time ago. For me tailored is the way to go.

Last edited:
If that is an issue for you look at a custom suit. I was able to get a 3 mil for about $350 from liquid fit some time ago. For me tailored is the way to go.
I agree that a custom suit is worth considering, even more so for a 7-mm than a 3-mm. I fit off-the-rack suits, but my 7-mm (which hasn't gotten wet in a long time) was custom-made.

I just got measured for a new suit today...in a charcoal-gray tropical wool.:wink:

I have a xcel wetsuit with integrated hood for cold. I think it is 8/7/6.5. I do regular dives in the 50-55 deg range.
I also have a tilos 3mil for warmer waters.
Depends on what you are happy with. Different body shapes/ different manufacturers.
Trying renting a few styles to see which works for you. You don't always have to go the custom route.

+2 for Waterproof. With their plus and tall sizes, they have a *ton* of sizes, and do a fairly good job of fitting different body forms.

wetwear.com? I'm having trouble viewing the site. Its asking for password. Something's not right here... Maybe it'll be working tomorrow...

I'd love to have a suit with my logo. That would be awesome.

Hi yslexdia.... We have been informed that some people are having a hard time getting on our web site. We are working on the problem (not sure what it is yet). I would love to talk with you and explain our product to you in the mean time... please feel free to contact me (Connie) at (800)771-8081.

I am glad that Jim is happy with his new suit, but I have to say that our suits are priced very comparable to any top of the line wetsuit. We just offer more options so there finale price with all the bells and whistles may end up being pricey, but take all the extras off and we even with the suit being custom it is still comparable to off the rack pricing.

I have about 50 dives in my O'Neill J-type... it's kept me very warm when I am in the water but the surface interval gets to me. I dive in 40-50 degree water so it definitely can handle the chill.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I should add that when I was talking about my suit and the price I was referring to the suit I got that can be found under their category for cave and technical divers. These are a great deal when you consider that no one else even makes a wetsuit to my knowledge for those of us who do these types of dives :
Wetwear - Wet Suits for Cave Divers and Technical Divers

Their regular suits are just as reasonable and when you consider that they are fitted to you, more so than an off the rack suit. I have three other off the racks as noted before and even though they all fit (mostly) there are small things that are not quite there and features that you do not find on mass produced suits. Not so with my new wetwear and no one else will add the stuff they will.

Last edited:
I'm really impressed by Waterproofs' W2 wetsuit too. Haven't dived it but it seems top quality stuff. A guy i know also dives one (unfortunately not the same size as me) and he really loves it.

As a few of the others have said, if you plan on diving regularly and considering your location spend the xtra money and get a custom suit...It'll last longer, keep you warmer, drier and be more comfortable...Over the long run it'll cost you less and you'll enjoy your dives more.....Over the years I've tried several brands, they were all adequate and 'fit' OK [I'm 6'4", 230lbs]....But the customs are a joy to wear....I have 3 and a step-in vest...3mm, 5mm, 7mm and the 5mm vest....There are only a few instances when I go to a dry suit......

Almost all wetsuits these days are good wetsuits. Personally first three things to look for are fit, fit, and fit. The last consideration is price.

Look for suits that have as much stretch neoprene as possible. More forgiving body differences for standard off rack suit. Alternatives are suits thicker over torso but thinner more flexible/comfortable arms legs. For 7 mm you need one as tight as you can stand without being uncomfortable. Each maufacturers sizes are slightly smaller or larger than another brand.

Nothing beats trying n and seeng how fits personally. Super stretch neoprene adds to the comfort factor. After finding brand you like then look for suit in your price range.

Also consider how often you will dive colder water. If only handful time then save money. If plan go every week then definitely buy higher price quality suit. If buy less expensive and not great fit just waste money when have to buy better suit.

BTW xspan and neosport are the same company as Henderson which has one best reputations for quality suit.

Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom