Need a new wetsuit... Advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always recommend Scubapro. They have exceptional quality gear and a very competitive price. Have a look at the Everflex 7mm or the Nova Scotia Semi dry 6.5mm. I have both models. They are fantastic and very durable!!!

I would not advise buying any type of super stretch material suit. Super stretch usually means it will more easily compress and lose it's insulating value at depth. It may sound nice in theory but better to spend the money on a good fit and leave the super stretch alone. While it minimize some water movement the idea of having neoprene is to slow the amount of heat loss. That means the neoprene needs to maintain it's thickness.

Agreed. If you're in cold water and don't have an off-the-rack body, you need to go custom (or dry).

In addition, custom suits are built from stiffer, thus warmer, neoprene.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the replies everybody. You've been lots of help.

Couple things I should probably share.

I am going to be using this suit for work, and it'll get very regular usage. It needs to be durable.
I'm never going deeper than 10ft...so the compressing of the neoprene isn't going to be an issue.
...I wish I could afford a dry suit!

Custom sounds like a good idea, but I'm not sure its worth the cost...for me. A 'normal' ML size suit actually fits me quite well...and I'm fortunate that even after getting married, I'm not carrying around any excess pounds around my belt. :wink: As I said earlier, I'd LOVE to have a suit with my logo...but I'm not sure I can justify the expense for a custom suit. ($550+ for 7mm)

As it is, I'm intrigued by the semi-dry option...I just need to hammer down the brand that I want.

Dry is the best way to dive. Yes they are more expensive that wetsuits. But they last longer and you can be in one all day and be comfortable. You should be able to find a used Nex-Gen but they do not have any for sale at the moment. I bet you can find one for less than $500. I do not know of any instructors that live in CO, or NM that dive wet.

Bare 2007 Nex-Gen Dry Suit Mens Bk. Med Large Shoe s #010102-ML | eBay

I love my no-name superstretch wetsuit. Over time, it went from 5mm to 1mm. Now I have a much better grasp of my buoyancy and I don't have to constantly adjust the amount of air in my BC to stay neutral.

As it is, I'm intrigued by the semi-dry option...I just need to hammer down the brand that I want.

A new Scubapro semi-dry Nova Scotia fits your price range.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the place where I dive, the temperature of the water, in the season, changes from 50F to 80F so super stretch material suit can reply to this variety, in fact thats what I believe, but not sure.

By the way, I am not fun of Mares 2nd skin, but it is very much recommended by my divemaster on the other hand I really would like to buy Scubapro Everflex 7mm. However Scubapro semi-dry Nova Scotia is also an option. Hard to decide ??

Any suggestions?​

Back
Top Bottom