Need a drysuit? Bring your questions to this roundtable!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Right In Scuba

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The last Roundtable we did was very successful and lots of great questions were brought up and answered. Well, it's that time of the year again where people are looking for suits and need help deciding on the right one for them. So, bring all your questions here and get some amazing answers! Drysuits, accessories, repairs, mods, upgrades....bring all of your questions and let us SB Drysuit experts help you! As the largest drysuit retailer and repair center in the US, I guarantee I have answers to your questions, and there is an army of others here on SB with hundreds and thousands of drysuit dives to also help you!

We're all here to help YOU, so bring on your questions and join us on the dry side.

Great !

For a trilam :

1 : What would you suggest the best valve would be when you dive with a sidemount ?
(Like that ? Dry Suit Option - Move Dump (DIR) - Seaskin Custom Diving Suits)

2 : Would you add ankle weights (still because of sidemount) directly on the drysuit ?

3 : Latex socks so I can adapt the booties to the temp of the lake ?

4 : And would you add a lot of protections ? Like knee pads and so on ?

Thanks !

Great !

For a trilam :

1 : What would you suggest the best valve would be when you dive with a sidemount ?
(Like that ? Dry Suit Option - Move Dump (DIR) - Seaskin Custom Diving Suits)

2 : Would you add ankle weights (still because of sidemount) directly on the drysuit ?

3 : Latex socks so I can adapt the booties to the temp of the lake ?

4 : And would you add a lot of protections ? Like knee pads and so on ?

Thanks !

My personnal choice, for my 2nd dry suit, after dry diving for 6 years or so :

1 : not a sidemount diver, so I won't answer/

2 : I prefer diving with heavy fins (jetfins or the like).

3 : I chose latex socks to wear rockboots, which are more convenient (heavier sole and hold ankles better) for long walks prior to diving

4 : knee pads

It was my choice, according to my kind of diving and the size of my wallet.

;-)

...so bring on your questions and join us on the dry side.

1. I have been planning a purchase of a DUI CF200X for Great Lakes diving. Does this remain the best choice given the recent management changes at DUI?

2. I am planning on latex seals. Should I give serious consideration to zipseals or can I depend on the relatively greater durability of latex compared to other materials?

3. I have trouble getting shoes and boots to fit because I have wide feet. I do not get a satisfactory fit with topside shoes and boots unless they are made in multiple widths and I get the widest one. Obtaining footwear that purportedly "runs wide" or in a larger overall size has always resulted in disappointment. Given this, what are my best choices in drysuit footwear?

Answers are in your quote

Great !

For a trilam :

(Like that ? Dry Suit Option - Move Dump (DIR) - Seaskin Custom Diving Suits) - Si Tech Exhaust

2 : Would you add ankle weights (still because of sidemount) directly on the drysuit ? Absolutely not...I would never dive with a crutch. Ankle weights are a crutch to poor trim.

3 : Latex socks so I can adapt the booties to the temp of the lake ? Not sure, I wouldn't do latex socks, typically after a few uses, you have a hole in them. If you didn't walk around on the ground for a few seconds, it's because rocks or sand were in the bottom of the boot...and you get a hole and wet. Go with a built in boot or neoprene boot.

4 : And would you add a lot of protections ? Like knee pads and so on ? A good suit already has that built into the wear points. It's hard for me to say what you should do, as that depends on the suit you're looking at.

Thanks !

Answers below in the quote:

1. I have been planning a purchase of a DUI CF200X for Great Lakes diving. Does this remain the best choice given the recent management changes at DUI? Still a great suit! Durable, warm, and comfortable. They have one of the best fitting neoprene suits on the market hands down.

2. I am planning on latex seals. Should I give serious consideration to zipseals or can I depend on the relatively greater durability of latex compared to other materials? Well, seals always seem to rip at the worst time. A finger goes thru a seal quickly, and it typically happens when your rushed trying to get in with your buddy. I think a replaceable seal system of Zip Seals or a Si Tech system is always a SOLID investment. You can swap seals in less than a minute, and not ruin your dives. We all spend money, and more importantly alot of time getting ready for a trip. It's not always easy to get away, would you rather be prepared and continue the dive....or have to thumb it and sit out all weekend?

3. I have trouble getting shoes and boots to fit because I have wide feet. I do not get a satisfactory fit with topside shoes and boots unless they are made in multiple widths and I get the widest one. Obtaining footwear that purportedly "runs wide" or in a larger overall size has always resulted in disappointment. Given this, what are my best choices in drysuit footwear? I would go with neoprene socks, and buy a boot or shoe that fits your foot. Converse all stars are typically a good choice for wider feet, but Pinnacle also has a pretty wide drysuit boot we can send to try on with your suit. If you can send a trace of your foot, that should help get you a perfect fit when ordering. Then, you try it on and we adapt from there to make it perfect for you.

I'm pretty interested in the USIA Techniflex suit. The pictures I've seen show the dump valve on the forearm. Can the location be changed to the upper arm area if you're doing a custom or semi-custom order? I'm looking at giving sidemount a real go this next year and think the forearm location would be a bad deal for donning and doffing cylinders in sidemount. Seems like they would really take a beating. I'm also unsure about which way to go for the boot/sock options, but that's just indecision on my part I think.

I'm pretty interested in the USIA Techniflex suit. The pictures I've seen show the dump valve on the forearm. Can the location be changed to the upper arm area if you're doing a custom or semi-custom order? I'm looking at giving sidemount a real go this next year and think the forearm location would be a bad deal for donning and doffing cylinders in sidemount. Seems like they would really take a beating. I'm also unsure about which way to go for the boot/sock options, but that's just indecision on my part I think.

It can be anywhere you want, without having to do a custom. You can just pick forearm or upper arm at no additional cost. Great suit, currently on sale at the time of this writing too!

USIA Techniflex Front Zip Drysuit | USIA Drysuits | Dive Right In Scuba | www.diverightinscuba.com - Dive Right in Scuba

I'm also unsure about which way to go for the boot/sock options, but that's just indecision on my part I think.

I recently sent my suit to DRiS and had the attached boots replaced with neoprene socks. I am very happy with the change. I can roll up the suit and pack it smaller now. I can turn it completely inside out to dry. Drying the inside of attached drysuit boots takes for-effing-ever (without using electrical aids). The neoprene socks have some stretch, so I can get a good, snug fit whether I'm wearing one thin sock or 2 thick socks. I get less air in my feet now than with attached boots. I got wetsuit booties to wear over the neo socks. They are less expensive than rock boots, work well, and another few mm of insulation to my feet. And I can replace them if/when they get too worn without having do anything to my actual suit. The booties are also less bulky than attached boots or rock boots, so easier to pack and travel with. They live in the storage bag along with my drysuit, so I'm not too worried about going off to dive somewhere and forgetting my booties. But, if I did, I would probably wear my fins directly over the neo socks and dive anyway.

One person's experience...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom