Neck Seal Systems (Orust) for smaller persons?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walde

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm planning on buying a drysuit for my girlfriend and was wondering if the neck seal systems are good for smaller persons?
For taller person with wider shoulders the ring systems are good. But how about when person is for example 170cm (5'7") tall with normal body structure.
If you have any experience with Orust or similar system and are not that tall, please share.

I'm planning on buying a drysuit for my girlfriend and was wondering if the neck seal systems are good for smaller persons?
For taller person with wider shoulders the ring systems are good. But how about when person is for example 170cm (5'7") tall with normal body structure.
If you have any experience with Orust or similar system and are not that tall, please share.
I’m 5’5” and narrow shouldered. The first and second generation SiTech ring systems almost covered my entire shoulder. Made reaching suit dump valve even out of the water difficult. But those were stiffer rings. I know the Orust is more flexible.

My suggestion would be to go to a dive shop where your girlfriend can actually try on the Orust.

Related note: Santi does not offer a neck ring system as an option on its Ladies First suits due to the shoulder interference issue.

I ended up getting a DUI suit because their propriety ZipSeals neck ring is very flexible and doesn’t get interfere with my shoulders at. This is only available on DUI suits.

Should be no problem for someone 170cm. If you're a woman who's like 155cm or shorter, then it might be an issue.

I suppose it's the narrow shoulders that could be an issue here, rather than length, right? Just trying to understand the relevance of body hight in this case.

I have the Orust neck seal system on my drysuit. The inner diameter of the ring is 22 cm.

I'm 172cm, and of average build, I've only ever used suits with the SiTech "quick neck" system (where "Orust" seems to be the latest generation of that) and I haven't had any issues with it.

More anecdotal evidence, I’m 5’10”/ 150lbs, fairly narrow shoulders, and the regular Quick Neck ring sits too wide on my shoulders (both on my older Fusion suit and my new M2M Fourth Element). It’s not an absolute dealbreaker, but if I could go back in time and re-order my suit, I’d probably just get a glued-in neoprene neck seal.

Does anyone know if the ORust is the same physical size as the Sitech Quick Neck? I'm considering replacing the Quick Neck with an ORust

I suppose it's the narrow shoulders that could be an issue here, rather than length, right? Just trying to understand the relevance of body hight in this case.

More anecdotal evidence, I’m 5’10”/ 150lbs, fairly narrow shoulders, and the regular Quick Neck ring sits too wide on my shoulders (both on my older Fusion suit and my new M2M Fourth Element). It’s not an absolute dealbreaker, but if I could go back in time and re-order my suit, I’d probably just get a glued-in neoprene neck seal.

I went through this debate for a really long time and ended up going neoprene.

I have heard this quote "If I could do it over again" from a couple friends as well. I am 5'10" about 180lbs 31" waist fairly fit and pretty average shoulders for a guy my size and I went with a Neoprene neck seal on my Santi. Especially for sidemount harness, at least on my Xdeep the shoulder straps come in much closer to my neck then on a backplate and they sit right on top of the Si-Tech ring system. Yes with some fidgeting you can make it work nut with the neoprene neck seal is so much nicer, hence with I went with neoprene.

Some love the ring system others hate them. But I think this is a personal preference/fit thing and your shoulder width is the main driver. As others have suggested best if she can try one on. As @Marie13 has pointed out the ring system almost cover her entire shoulders. I think this is fairly common for narrow shouldered men and women, hence why Santi does not even offer it as a option for smaller ladies suites.

A while back I was speaking with Tom from O'three and said they sell about 50/50 Si-tech ring/neoprene

Not
Does anyone know if the ORust is the same physical size as the Sitech Quick Neck? I'm considering replacing the Quick Neck with an ORust
Not sure if they are the same size; I have a new Orust ring in my workshop and can measure it for you if that helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom