NDL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting post, UP

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Uncle Pug once bubbled...

In reality there is no NDL… there is no finely drawn line on one side of which you have no need for decompression while on the other side you have a absolute need for decompression.

Every dive is a decompression dive
However the point at which this off-gassing becomes problematic is ill defined and many variables come into play beyond just the inert gas load itself.

To treat the so called NDL as a line which you can approach with impunity as long as you do not cross it is unwise. To use a computer to do so is doubly unwise.

It would be better IMO to gain an understanding of what the NDL represents and manage your dive accordingly. Plan on spending time shallow to offset time spent deeper…. but not just because your computer told you to do a safety stop. Know what you are doing and why.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting post... you start off stating some diving facts quite succinctly - adding verisimilitude early in your post.
Then the implied message starts to seep through, the message that says you do know what you are doing, and the path you take is the right, or correct one. That other ideas are 'doubly unwise'

Yet you also, even though you claim not to, promote a level of safety that is as arbitrary as dive computer NDLs (Actually, it can be argued that as your methodology has recieved less emperical testing, it could be considered more arbitrary)

If we step backwards for a second, we can imagine that risk of DCS for any dive follows an exponential curve. As risk factors (not just time at depth, although that is a major one) increase, the chance of DCS increases. At first, only slightly, however, rapidly increasing as risk factors increase.

You stated the axiom "every dive is a deco dive" - which I do not think anyone can disagree with. However you seem to ignore the corollary to the axiom - that none of us fully decompress from any dive, we merely do whatever fraction of full decompression we deem adequate. (If we fully decompressed, all tissues would be at exactly ambient pressure when we surfaced)

Now, I would suggest that multiple dives can result in a diver being at the same point on the curve - ie 30 minutes at 60 feet involves the same amount of risk (of DCS) as 25 minutes at 120 feet with about 15 minutes of deco... and a quick review of the pressure group or repetitive group of your favourite tables will show this to be more or less true.

So, what we as divers have to do, is define for ourself what point on that risk curve are we individually prepared to travel to, and then define some methodology by which we intend to ensure we don't go past that point.

And guess what? Dive computers are designed to do exactly that. Each dive computer is designed to designate a point on the risk curve, and indicate to the user how close they are to that point. By either NDL time, or minimum deco time, the computer is providing a measure of how close to that computers defined point the dive is.
(Note - I'm deliberately ignoring where exactly on the risk curve each computer defines it's safe point)

And what we as divers have to do is consider where on the curve our particular computer has set it's point, and decide for ourselves if we want to set our own point at the same place, more conservative, or more risky. If we decide to set our personal point at exactly the same place as the computer is set, then 'riding the NDLs' cannot be called unwise. It is instead, a rationally determined decision, a measure of the risk we have decided to accept.

And this, Uncle Pug, is where I take issue with your stance. You have decided on a point on the risk curve for yourself, and you construct a methadology to keep yourself inside that risk point. Fair enough, it's what everyone should do.

However, what you cannot claim is that your solution is any more correct, or 'wise' than is anyone else's. All you can say is that you have chosen a point on the risk curve that is different (perhaps more conservative) than theirs. You use your methods to get you out of the water inside your risk point, and I use mine. If I decide that my risk point is further along the curve than the computer I use, then for me, riding the NDLs of my computer, or doing minimal deco as indicated by it, is a conservative dive for me.

I know what I am doing and why. I am using my computer to track a point on the risk curve for me, because I have decided on the availiable data for that computer (and algorithm) that I am comfortable with diving to that risk point.

Anyway, that's just my opinion

Se7en

PS: Uncle Pug, if you could buy a computer which indicated exactly the maximum profile that you dive to, would you buy it?

I have read, from time to time, about "undeserved" hits, and so years ago began my own informal "study" of typical diving habits - observing divers all over the world - to see if I could put my finger on anything that fell into "common practice" that was a clear violation of table prorocol that might be going unnoticed by the average diver. And I found one. (I've been documenting this for over a decade, in sites all over with both vacationing and local divers from all over, so I'm pretty confident in my findings)
The "average diver" takes about seven seconds to ascend from the safety stop to the surface. That's over 120 fpm in the most critical part of the ascent! These same divers as a rule are very careful and conservative in their ascent to the safety stop, and religiously spend three minutes at the safety stop. Why, then, the sudden rise in the last 15 feet?
I believe the "average diver" feels the dive is essentially over at the end of the safety stop, and is now moving to the next item on the list, which is getting out of the water safely. They're just not paying attention. I also believe this is the result of a serious hole in training, from "proper weighting allows neutral buoyancy at the safety stop" to "we ascend at 30 fpm and make a 3-5 minute safety stop" and then go on to start talking about getting out of the water - it's as though the final 15' of ascent just doesn't count. This is an instructor action item! Making students take a full minute (a "full minute" is my number - at least insist on thirty seconds) to ascend from 15' is difficult, time consuming and new to most - but I believe we could all but eliminate those "undeserved" hits by doing so.
Rick

This is an instructor action item! Making students take a full minute to ascend from 15' is difficult, time consuming and new to most - but I believe we could all but eliminate those "undeserved" hits by doing so.

Instructors as a whole need to spend more time on what the safety is and how to do them and ENFORCE them on their dives. If the student just doesn't "get" them, then they just don't "get" the card.

There are NO undeserved hits... not fully understood, maybe... but they happen for a reason, and I don't think the NDL is the reason. Diver error or attitude are the reason for the majority of these hits. No data to back me up on this... just a gut feeling (and I got a lot of gut! :tease: )

Since I have it in front of me, this stuff is pretty telling...

Injured Divers

53% of injured divers reported a problem or problems during the dive where they were injured. 21% or so (the HIGHEST) was Rapid Ascent, followed by Cold and Exertion.

45% of men and 65% of women had less than 20 dives in the previous 12 months.

Fatalities

Equipment problems were reported in some of the fatalities, with the number 1 reported problem equipment piece being the BC at 13%. Following the BC, the most common reported problems were with regulators and weight belts.

Procedural problems that resulted in fatalities is really telling.. 60% OF ALL FATALITIES HAD BUOYANCY PROBLEMS, 31% RAN OUT OF AIR, and 10% ASCENDED TOO RAPIDLY.

60% of men and 90% of women had less than 20 dives in the previous 12 months.

Statistics can be used for anything, but what this tells me is that the majority of divers getting injured or killed are vacation/sightseeing/puddlejumpers that have poor skills.

O-ring once bubbled...
Since I have it in front of me, this stuff is pretty telling...

Injured Divers

53% of injured divers reported a problem or problems during the dive where they were injured. 21% or so (the HIGHEST) was Rapid Ascent, followed by Cold and Exertion.

45% of men and 65% of women had less than 20 dives in the previous 12 months.

Fatalities

Equipment problems were reported in some of the fatalities, with the number 1 reported problem equipment piece being the BC at 13%. Following the BC, the most common reported problems were with regulators and weight belts.

Procedural problems that resulted in fatalities is really telling.. 60% OF ALL FATALITIES HAD BUOYANCY PROBLEMS, 31% RAN OUT OF AIR, and 10% ASCENDED TOO RAPIDLY.

60% of men and 90% of women had less than 20 dives in the previous 12 months.

Wow. This would mean that poor buoyancy control is the number 1 contributor to incidents by a mile.....

I just took a look at the BSAC numbers too. They show DCI as the number one problem but go on to say that poor buoyancy control was the contributing factor is most of the DCI incidents....

And 30-odd% OOA. Does this blow anyone else's mind?

R..

Diver0001 once bubbled...

Wow. This would mean that poor buoyancy control is the number 1 contributor to incidents by a mile.....

R..
Mike reads this stuff too and he can tell you back a lot farther than I can, but I know for sure it was also last year's big killer..

I also wonder if this:
number 1 reported problem equipment piece being the BC at 13%
was really a problem with the BC or a problem with the diver using the BC... That would make it even worse..

Diver0001 once bubbled...

I just took a look at the BSAC numbers too. They show DCI as the number one problem but go on to say that poor buoyancy control was the contributing factor is most of the DCI incidents....

And 30-odd% OOA. Does this blow anyone else's mind?

R..
It blows my mind to hear people talk about how they don't need solid fundamental skills and don't need to know anything about diving physiology and current best practices because all they want to do is dive 3 times a year in the Caribbean. You should see the bar for diving injuries and fatalities in the Caribbean region...man...it's a biggie.

Why doe's this susprise you?

"Wow. This would mean that poor buoyancy control is the number 1 contributor to incidents by a mile....."

How many threads have you read or seen that involved this problem directly or indirectly. Complaints about people who can't stay off the bottom or weighting issues.

When I first started diving I went on a trip. Shallow drift dive in a river. During the dive I noticed someone draging a rock the whole way. At the surface I ask who it was and and why. It turned out to be the DM that planed the trip. He wasn't weight correctly and couldn't stay down. He's now an instructor and I found out that he got a DCS hit last month. I didn't get the details because he mention that he wasn't suposed to talk about it while at the dive shop. (he's also the Mgr for the same shop) He did say dan D/L his profile and couldn't explain the hit . S'posedly there wasn't a problem with his profile and according to his computer he didn't bust an NDL but I have to wonder and would love to know the details.

Could be like Rick mention and he made a fast accent from the safety stop, who knows and he didn't elaborate on it but the first thing I thought of was the trip to the river where he had a Boyancy problem by not being correctly weighted.

Is buoyancy control the root cause of these problems or just a symptom of being unfamiliar and uncomfortable in the water, resulting in panic, that resulted in a loss of buoyancy control?

Back
Top Bottom