NDL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaJay once bubbled...
<snip>

I'll weigh the options and crunch my V-planner and learn. What else can I do but that and practice?

With all due respect, you would be well advised to learn how to use your computer the way it was intended to be used and to stop experimenting with pushing it in to deco until you get appropriate training. That might sound a little sharp but someone should say it.

R..

Yeah, nitrox isn't taught here.

Heck, nobody even dives here. I'm 15 miles away from some of the coolest wrecks in the world, and nobody dives here. It's amazing. How frustrating! On the other hand, they're all virgin...

Charleston - an hour and a half away - might do nitrox training. Savannah - and hour and a half the other way - does have nitrox training. I'm also about five hours from places in Florida that are famous for diving... Including Ginnie and Forty Fathom.

If I come to Florida, is anyone willing to mentor? Heck, y'all seemed really eager to "keep me safe." Why not give me a real helping hand, then?

There's nobody here to mentor from. My current instructor, as much as I love him, is not a deco diver.

Okay, then it looks like the key would be:

1. Book on deco. Recommendations to start?

2. Time to take a vacation and learn nitrox. Then do it again with advanced. There's deco theory in advanced? I'm talking PADI stuff here, right?

Y'all don't like the Hal Watts Deep Air thing then, eh? Certainly there's deco in that class, and it's all about 21% - exactly what's available to me.

Then I think it's time for me to purchase a few tanks... Maybe half a dozen of them... All nitrox tanks. Then, I can make the trip to Charleston or Savannah and get them filled, and it won't feel like a wasted trip.

Then, the next time I do a 100' dive, I've got the right gas and a longer bottom time.

Guess it's time to get an Explorer wing and a manifold or three, eh? And a second first stage.

There goes my bank account. :( Oh well.

Charleston is only an hour and a half away? Lucky you. I have a three hour drive just to get to a decent dive site, I can't imagine where I'm going to have to go to get technical training when I get to that point.

I really have no place to say anything, I'm just AOW, but... *damn*. I think you need to slow down a bit. You have, what, OW, maybe AOW, and DIRF?

Get more training. Get the nitrox and advanced nitrox, drive to Charleston if you have to. I don't know if you need advanced nitrox before the TDI deco procedures course or whatever, but find someone who will teach you. Messing with vplanner and pushing your Suunto into deco is no way to learn. Suck it up, find an instructor, and don't do anything stupid.

jonnythan once bubbled...

I really have no place to say anything, I'm just AOW, but... *damn*. I think you need to slow down a bit. You have, what, OW, maybe AOW, and DIRF?

OW, AOW, Rescue (and it's CPR and first aid requirements), and DIR-F. Divemaster is in the works. Apparently now nitrox is too. Basic 'trox is a two-day course. I'll have that done in a matter of a week or two. I already have a good foundation for understanding the material, and will likely do well in that class.

I've heard that I'm going too fast... But I am consistently at the top of my class, meaning that my retention is apparently good - the hallmark of *not* going too fast. I've also got lots and lots of dives in-between. (Well, of course, that's relative; AndrewG told me he had 1400 dives this year. :) )

Get more training.

Thanks... I'm a big fan of training. Without flaming, though, I don't understand how you can simultaneously say that I've gotten too much training in a short period of time AND tell me that I need more. That seems to be the persistent attitude on the board, and it just doesn't make much sense. If I get more training, will I later be chastized for "squishing it all together?"

SeaJay once bubbled...
Thanks... I'm a big fan of training. Without flaming, though, I don't understand how you can simultaneously say that I've gotten too much training in a short period of time AND tell me that I need more.

You misunderstood me. I meant you're only AOW/Rescue, don't be doing deco dives now. Keep diving, keep getting training.

Remember that the fun of diving is diving :wink:

My bad. Sorry.

How 'bout we meet at Charleston Scuba and ask Long Tall Sally to hook us up to some enriched air?

Any takers? Howcome I didn't get anyone offering to mentor? I hear a lot of y'all ripping my dive apart in the name of "safety," but nobody wants to mentor? :wink:

SeaJay once bubbled...
My bad. Sorry.

How 'bout we meet at Charleston Scuba and ask Long Tall Sally to hook us up to some enriched air?

Any takers? Howcome I didn't get anyone offering to mentor? I hear a lot of y'all ripping my dive apart in the name of "safety," but nobody wants to mentor? :wink:

I'd be up for that if NY was a reasonable distance from Charleston. I haven't bothered getting Nitrox certified yet because I'm too cheap to spend $11 on a tank fill when a $3.50 one will do.

There are no divers Upstate, much less any instructors experienced and educated enough to "mentor." It's like pulling teeth trying to get anyone local to me to go diving. I guess there are just a lot of 3.5 hour drives to the coast to dive with the NELD in my future.

Can't we just make MA, CT, and RI sink into the coast?

Maybe there will be some decent diving within an hour of me then :wink:

SeaJay once bubbled...
Pug: Man, I don't know what I did to tick you off, but I wish you'd forgive me for it and get over it. I really like you, man, and I think you've got a lot of knowlege in there. What can I do to make you happy with me again?
Seajay you continue to insist on making everything about you.

You are not interested in learning only in rattling on about... who knows... whatever pops into your head...

I'm not interested in you or your desire to be a... who knows... whatever pops into your head.

I've had enough already... think I'll go find another forum where there are divers who want to talk about diving.

Instead of a 160 WPM typist who wants to discuss himself.

and he probably doesn't even know it. In fact, I have two. I dive with them every chance I get and try to listen more than I speak (including questions).

The unfortunate part... is that I don't get to dive with them as much as I would like. And that is what mentoring is all about... T-I-M-E!!!

You see, asking someone on the board to mentor you is an exercise in futility. It has to be face to face with lots of water time. Any number of great divers can ADVISE you from this board... but they can't truly mentor anyone without spending lots and lots of T-I-M-E with them.

SeaJay once bubbled...
My bad. Sorry.

Maybe it's a hint :) LOL

Back
Top Bottom