Navigating in Darkness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RTodd:
Compass is on the left hand because the magnets in the scooter motor can interfere with it.

Just as an fyi-

The magnets from the Gavin can interfere with it. Magnets on the X-scooter do not.

On the "X" the compass is farther away from the moter when it is placed on the T handle.

Rainman uses an X and thus his comments.

Kevin

KMD:
Just as an fyi-

The magnets from the Gavin can interfere with it. Magnets on the X-scooter do not.

On the "X" the compass is farther away from the moter when it is placed on the T handle.

Rainman uses an X and thus his comments.

Kevin

Discussing scooter mount compass locations on an X-toy is about as meaningful in a DIR forum as discussing optimum hose stuffing techniques.

RTodd:
Discussing scooter mount compass locations on an X-toy is about as meaningful in a DIR forum as discussing optimum hose stuffing techniques.
Yes, because we all know that to be truly DIR you have to be using an old Galaxy 500 type scooter where you need cranes to deploy them. LOL

JeffG:
Yes, because we all know that to be truly DIR you have to be using an old Galaxy 500 type scooter where you need cranes to deploy them. LOL

Nothing wrong with using them on playing with scooter dives, but you using NimH in a situation where you are relying on the scooter (overhead, deep) is a very poor decision. There are other design issues I disagree with as well, but the power supply is the biggest one.

RTodd:
Nothing wrong with using them on playing with scooter dives, but you using NimH in a situation where you are relying on the scooter (overhead, deep) is a very poor decision. There are other design issues I disagree with as well, but the power supply is the biggest one.

Wait, isn't the "Magnum" a NIMH scooter, as is the mini-G? I think I just read a report about the EKPP using George's Magnum scooters for big dives . . .

Anytime you can't swim out of your situation you need a backup scooter. Battery chemistry doesn't have squat to do with it. The batteries aren't the weakest link anyway. Its the motor seal - nothing works flooded.

dsteding:
Wait, isn't the "Magnum" a NIMH scooter, as is the mini-G? I think I just read a report about the EKPP using George's Magnum scooters for big dives . . .
No...The Magnum is just a really big scooter. (Uses SLA batts) Looks like a scud missile.

The mini-G would fall into the WKPP definition of toy scooter.

rjack321:
Anytime you can't swim out of your situation you need a backup scooter. Battery chemistry doesn't have squat to do with it. The batteries aren't the weakest link anyway. Its the motor seal - nothing works flooded.

wrong, try again. Go put a volt meter on a NimH pack and tell me how long it will burn.

RTodd:
wrong, try again. Go put a volt meter on a NimH pack and tell me how long it will burn.

Actually its not hard to burn test or reliably charge a properly designed NiMH pack. The emphasis being on properly designed.

Regardless, knowing burn time is not the same as scooter reserve. When your galaxy 500 floods via the crappy motor seal, the acid leaking everywhere won't care whether your motor is brushed or brushless, the body is HDPE, PVC, or AL, or whatever the battery chemistry. You're still screwed without a backup scooter.

rjack321:
Actually its not hard to burn test or reliably charge a properly designed NiMH pack. The emphasis being on properly designed.

Regardless, knowing burn time is not the same as scooter reserve. When your galaxy 500 floods via the crappy motor seal, the acid leaking everywhere won't care whether your motor is brushed or brushless, the body is HDPE, PVC, or AL, or whatever the battery chemistry. You're still screwed without a backup scooter.

Based on your response, you have never burn tested a SLA pack or a NimH pack and observed what happens to the voltage. Go actually learn how this stuff works before spouting off. You are confusing a battery compartment leak with a motor leak. The only real way to get the moter to leak is through the shaft seal. To my knowledge all current scooters have this potential issue. (If the X has a fix for this, an explanation of how it was achieved would be interesting.) Having said that, I have never seen an unabused scooter leak through the shaft. (The climate conditions in Mexico can cause this due to rusting.)

SLAs work just fine flooded in water, only NiMH pukes everywhere. Find a Mako over 6 months old that doesn't leak into the battery compartment and I will be stuned. The difficulting of riding a flooded SLA batter scooter is the more limiting factor.

Since you have never actually done a dive that requires a backup scooter, you really should hold off on advice about when they are needed.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom