Navigating in Darkness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the flames. I am not DIR, just DIR-curious.

I dive a lot at night and had hoped there was a slightly more elegant DIR solution than "put the light in your other hand."

Blitz:
Its not a big stretch to realize that your light can be removed from your left hand so that you can illuminate your compass and take a heading.

People have died doing that ya know :wink:

FishDiver:
Thanks for all the flames. I am not DIR, just DIR-curious.

I dive a lot at night and had hoped there was a slightly more elegant DIR solution than "put the light in your other hand."

What's not elegant about it? It takes virtually no time or skill.

But, if you want the "elegant answer" -- scooter dive at night! With a handle mounted compass you can shine the light in your left hand on your scooter compass mount on the handle your right hand! :D

My SK-7 glows for at least 10 minutes after being "hit" by my can light. That means moving the light to my right hand only a few times per dive to reilluminate the compass. Seems pretty elegant to me.

rainman_02:

But, if you want the "elegant answer" -- scooter dive at night! With a handle mounted compass you can shine the light in your left hand on your scooter compass mount on the handle your right hand! :D

Compass is on the left hand because the magnets in the scooter motor can interfere with it.

rainman_02:

The scooter is the whole reason for the compass being on the left arm. The scooter can interfere with the compass.

edit: oops, RTodd just said that...

You're both missing the point, but thanks for trying.

compinstall6300.jpg

Image hot-linked from the Dive-Xtras website.

The compass on the handle works pretty darn well. And since you hold the handle in your right hand...it's really easy to shine your light (in your left hand) on it.

Elegant. :popcorn:

rainman_02:

come on, you know the elegant answer is to get a light on your helmet :)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom