Nautilus Lifeline

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As long as we’re shamelessly plugging for space on the yacht…. Hey Magnolia! How about me?

Deb you are more than welcome.. the more the merrier..
I would hardly call her, at 32 feet, a yacht.. just a comfy sailboat.
Boats nick is Maggie.. I am 'bella. <GG>

This is something I have been hanging on one of my tanks and telling the crew if it is there I am not on the boat......

I have this printed and laminated with a string to hang on a tank valve............

Been doing it for about 6 years and will now do the NLL card also.......
View attachment 116916
I also have a card that gets attached to my Zodiac's Motor that says I am diving and I started at _______ and if it has been more than 1.5 hrs from my dive start time please call the USCG on ch16 or via phone at # 787-123-1234 and report a missing Diver. Grease pencil for the time and I put the date on the top......

View attachment 116923

What a great idea... otoh.... do you leave the boat unattended? I would be worried someone might make off with the boat?

Guess people need to get a dry pouch for your cell. I have one for my IPhone and can talk while it is in the bag and sealed. Had it for a year for the wet boat rides in the Zodiac... Got tired of replacing phones.....

And now you know how I know that Uniden handheld VHF's are not water resistant ....:depressed:
First rule of boats.. turn OFF the phone.. toss below... ignore.

Dear cvchief,

Please don't think I am ignoring you. I just got back to the world to care for my 12 year old twins in Houston, and I pre-ceeeded that with Carnival and Wednesday night at Wet Wendy's with the Scubaboard Group. I barely remember that I have twins now... and it is all the fault of Cozumel. Now what the heck is your question? I hope I can remember the answer. If not my fake button is now, maybe permanently broken, and I will continue to ignore you.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Hey, Dave, there ya are. 12 year old twins? I had you pegged as crusty old guy.

And if you are going to ignore me, have the decency to marry me first. My wife did....

Now, what was that question I mention in passing... Let me see. Oh here it is:

Dave, do you know if anyone has the ability to receive and decode the automated distress thing with the GPS location? I know you could read it off, but I wondered if you could use all the functions of the radio?

Which still promotes the original question: Anyone in Cozumel have radios that can do that?

But back to my original question: Dave: Do you know of anyone or do you have a radio capable of receiving and decoding the automatic burst transmissions from the Nautilus? I am just guessing no one is buying that kind of a mobile or base in the commercial sector. Maybe the Navy guys have it? ( I mean a diver could read the coordinates, but that does reduce the functionality of the unit. and how many boats could use the gps coordinates to find you?)

I still wonder if anyone knows of boats equipped with radios capable of receiving and decoding the coordinates in Cozumel, but I am coming to terms with the idea that no one has an answer to that.

2. I posted the question to Dave who owns and operates a well respected dive op in Cozumel if he had one or knew of anyone in the commercial sector that had one.

cvchief, I have been diving with Aldora for several years. I have no apprehensions about their safety philosophy. That they procured the Lifeline units, which are relatively new, shows a continuing effort to improve safety should a bad event happen.

I suspect that many of us could brainstorm and come up with things that would help the Cozumel dive community evolve to incorporate the GMDSS maritime system...and the use of GMDSS/DSC compliant radios.

For all I know, that is being done. If not, I would not be surprised if Dave is involved with making it happen. There is a lot I do not know about GMDSS and maritime/boating activities in Cozumel. Actually, it may be simpler to say that I know very little. But part of brainstorming would suggest that the Navy and Harbor Master should have reliable radios that would receive the DSC signal. So if that type radio is not being used, I would suggest that the park fees be used to buy radios for the Navy and Harbor Master. This assumes that said purchase is legal with those funds. Just my opinion of course.

In the Scuba Mau boat sinking, at best they may have been able to activate the DSC switch if they had one. Knowing a persons exact location basically removes the "search" from "search and rescue."

Imagine going on a dive and during the dive a gray whale breaches and sinks your dive boat. There are plenty of dive sites where I would not be concerned about my safety. There are lots of boats around and my biggest risk is probably excessively wrinkled toes and fingers. Other dive sites carry a potential higher risk. The Lifeline is one tool to address that risk.

cvchief, I have been diving with Aldora for several years. I have no apprehensions about their safety philosophy. That they procured the Lifeline units, which are relatively new, shows a continuing effort to improve safety should a bad event happen.

I suspect that many of us could brainstorm and come up with things that would help the Cozumel dive community evolve to incorporate the GMDSS maritime system...and the use of GMDSS/DSC compliant radios.

For all I know, that is being done. If not, I would not be surprised if Dave is involved with making it happen. There is a lot I do not know about GMDSS and maritime/boating activities in Cozumel. Actually, it may be simpler to say that I know very little. But part of brainstorming would suggest that the Navy and Harbor Master should have reliable radios that would receive the DSC signal. So if that type radio is not being used, I would suggest that the park fees be used to buy radios for the Navy and Harbor Master. This assumes that said purchase is legal with those funds. Just my opinion of course.

In the Scuba Mau boat sinking, at best they may have been able to activate the DSC switch if they had one. Knowing a persons exact location basically removes the "search" from "search and rescue."

Imagine going on a dive and during the dive a gray whale breaches and sinks your dive boat. There are plenty of dive sites where I would not be concerned about my safety. There are lots of boats around and my biggest risk is probably excessively wrinkled toes and fingers. Other dive sites carry a potential higher risk. The Lifeline is one tool to address that risk.

Ron,

I get the feeling I am being lost in translation. I know Dave has and probably will continue to do good things for the state of diving in Cozumel. I am all for not breathing CO. I believe you that Aldora is a great, safe op. Heck I want to go do some of that east side diving with them sometime. (Unless Dave blackballs me!:rofl3: ) I think it is great that they are testing the radios. I think the radios are cool. Really. I just wondered about the reception ability of the coded stuff. I know everything around this board seems to be about being on one side or the other. I ain't into that. I am just looking for info with NO ulterior motive.
I do like razzing Dave and everyone else a little bit. I mean really am I the only guy that imagines Dave throwing back a scotch and posting what he really thinks these days? Seriously, though, I would not have asked him the question if I didn't think there was some chance he knew the correct answer.

I would love to have bought him a drink at the El Moro meet and greet. I imagine I would have walked away having learned something.

This is apparently what happens when you go and drink up all the tequila CV! Everyone gets all serious and cranky. This whole board has been making me a tad tense lately...maybe it's just Coz withdrawal?

I know it's sometimes hard to discern sarcasm or friendly jabs in written text, but it seems people have switched from assuming a post is intended to be lighthearted banter to taking it as an assault. I'm not directing my comments at Ron or anyone in particular (disclaimer before I get flamed), just an overall vibe.

This is apparently what happens when you go and drink up all the tequila CV! Everyone gets all serious and cranky. This whole board has been making me a tad tense lately...maybe it's just Coz withdrawal?

I know it's sometimes hard to discern sarcasm or friendly jabs in written text, but it seems people have switched from assuming a post is intended to be lighthearted banter to taking it as an assault. I'm not directing my comments at Ron or anyone in particular (disclaimer before I get flamed), just an overall vibe.

Anyone who takes me seriously, does so at their own risk! hehe.... I mean I am a little tired too. I went to Carnival, drank all the tequila, ACTED like a 12 year old and I was seeing double so everyone had a twin.....

As a side note, I almost got the Mayor himself with a set of beads and I did give him the big thumbs up!

I do like razzing Dave and everyone else a little bit. I mean really am I the only guy that imagines Dave throwing back a scotch and posting what he really thinks these days?

He's a Grey Goose guy. Otherwise you're on the money...

Not sure how that translates to marine VHF, but typical a base or mobile will push more watts out than the portable.

It is the exact same principle. And, yes, a handheld device will normally hear a base station at a greater range than the handheld device's ability to transmit back to said base station.

That was not our experience with the Nautilus. Perhaps there is a difference in receiver circuitry? But no matter the details and additional features,
which we did not test, they suit our specific concerns perfectly. Perhaps when cvchief comes down again we can share some Grey Goose and do some more detailed tests!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

PS Sometimes I fool around and go "tongue in cheek" too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom