Nautilus Lifeline

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:lol: Maybe, like me, Chief's run into far too many people to whom the map is some kind of voodoo magic! :laughing:

ah you met my Ex??? His idea of cruising was to hit a reef in the Keys at 6 knots.. nearly tore off the keel. I wanted to melt into the floor and pretend I wasn't there.. he had the boat on autopilot reading a book. I was down below... one of the many reasons he is an EX..

CVCHIEF: With all due respect, your comment "most boaters" does not specifically state "dive boats" or "pangas in Cozumel - dive boats in cozumel" had you stated that I would have wholeheartedly agreed. I guess that was implied... I gave up mindreading for Lent, sorry. :D

There is an urban legend type story about the Coasties scrambling to find a sending EPIRB and finally finding it in Northern texas (locatoin changes according to who is telling the story I have noticed) in some guys swimming pool. He had activated it because he l iked the flashing light.. :shakehead:
YMMV
'bella
aboard S/V Magolia
Laying Bayboro Harbor.

ah you met my Ex??? His idea of cruising was to hit a reef in the Keys at 6 knots.. nearly tore off the keel. I wanted to melt into the floor and pretend I wasn't there.. he had the boat on autopilot reading a book. I was down below... one of the many reasons he is an EX..

I would not have made the cut either. Years ago I bought a little 18 foot or so runabout and took it to Canada. It was a piece of junk and old. I did do some fiberglass work and bought a trailer for it. Sported a 1959 Evenrude. Found out that:

1. The place we were going was on a river off the side of the lake and shallow.
2. The boat leaked so everday it was a good idea to pull it out and drain the bilge.
3. Taking it out wasn't a problem as we had to work on the engine everyday.

Is still remember it, after we got it working somewhat, we were coming back in. I had a friend's husband on the bow with a flashlight trying to find the small channel into the small river to dock. The old Evenrude would slip outta gear if you didn't keep some speed up, so while not fast we weren't creeping either. Then we hit the sand bank and that stalled the motor. THEN we heard our friends on the bridge yelling you are too far to the left. I yelled back, "Thanks, I know that NOW!"

I didn't catch much fish, I spent weeks getting the grease out from under my nails, and they still talk up there about the guy from the States who keep putting the boat in the water and taking it outta the water and putting the boat in the water and taking it outta the water and putting the boat in the water and taking it outta the water and putting the boat in the water and taking it outta the water and putting the boat in the water and taking it outta the water and putting the boat in the water and taking it outta the water and... well you get the idea.

Finally sold the boat by advertising the nice trailer and making the buyer take the boat too.....

CVCHIEF: With all due respect, your comment "most boaters" does not specifically state "dive boats" or "pangas in Cozumel - dive boats in cozumel" had you stated that I would have wholeheartedly agreed. I guess that was implied... I gave up mindreading for Lent, sorry. :D

With all due respect accepted and returned, you do not need to read my mind. Trust me, it is a very scarey, disorganized place. Many things go in there and get lost. What you do need to do is quote my complete thought (or attempt at a thought...):

But back to my original question: Dave: Do you know of anyone or do you have a radio capable of receiving and decoding the automatic burst transmissions from the Nautilus? I am just guessing no one is buying that kind of a mobile or base in the commercial sector. Maybe the Navy guys have it? ( I mean a diver could read the coordinates, but that does reduce the functionality of the unit. and how many boats could use the gps coordinates to find you?)

I think it is a cool idea generally though....

in context of:

1. We are in the Cozumel Forum.
2. I posted the question to Dave who owns and operates a well respected dive op in Cozumel if he had one or knew of anyone in the commercial sector that had one.
3. The reference to the Navy guy was a local reference to the Mexican Navy stationed on Cozumel.

Clearly, I think, I was talking about the functionality of the unit in Cozumel. Please don't take offense at my good natured sparring. Should you bring what sounds like your REALLY cool boat to Cozumel, I would like a ride..... :) My dive boat doesn't have wifi....

I would not have made the cut either.

naw... running aground was the least of his transgressions.. he never met female he wasn't 'attracted' to..:shakehead:

With all due respect accepted and returned, you do not need to read my mind. Trust me, it is a very scarey, disorganized place. Many things go in there and get lost. What you do need to do is quote my complete thought (or attempt at a thought...):

Scary minds run in my family... I am used to them.

Should you bring what sounds like your REALLY cool boat to Cozumel, I would like a ride..... :) My dive boat doesn't have wifi....

Well that WAS the plan. As I was heading out SW channel Friday a week ago, the other peeps in my dive party ( son & his GF) called to tell me that they had been notified they were not allowed to be further from Fort Bragg than an hour out. NO idea why they are on "alert" and don't want to know.. so they are "jumping" this weekend and I am back in the marina after spending 3 days anchored off Cayo Costa and a leisurely sail back home.

Yes, she, this boat, is a very cool lady.. once the Doc papers go thru her name change will be complete.
I have a BULLET it also requires a bridge, router and cable. I built my own from stuff around the house and the Bullet itself.. you can get an idea from Island Time PC

The plan was, head to Key West, make the jump to Isla Mujeres. Have the son and GF fly in to Isla and ride down to Cozumel. They go into a hotel and have fun. Both were going to get certified... now its all to hel in a handbasket.

Forgive me forgetting its the Cozumel forum.. and not making the leap.. I am a bottle strawberry blonde... half of me is brain dead and the other half out to lunch most of the time. :D
'bella

naw... running aground was the least of his transgressions.. he never met female he wasn't 'attracted' to..:shakehead:

Are reefs like boats, referred to in the feminine voice? Might explain it.....

Scary minds run in my family... I am used to them.
I could still surprise you. I still suprise the wife, though she tends to just shake her head anymore and move on.....

Forgive me forgetting its the Cozumel forum.. and not making the leap.. I am a bottle strawberry blonde... half of me is brain dead and the other half out to lunch most of the time. :D
'bella

No problemo. Just let me know when the yacht makes it to Cozumel. I want to tell my friends, "No, sorry, I can't make WW's tonight, I am going Yachting."

Gilligan36.jpg

CVChief, the answer you have not gotten is important. While having a Lifeline may prove to be lifesaving should it ever be needed, just having it and not knowing if the signal (voice or DSC) will be picked up is too trusting. Aldora did some testing in their environment which is good.

Lets imagine another boat sinking in the channel but no telephone this time. The voice function either does not work or there is no confirmation that it worked. I would use the DSC function (Mayday) since apparently it has a longer range than the voice capability.

How do you know that anyone picked it up? If beaucoup boats in the area and the Navy and/or Harbor master have the system and it has been tested to know useful operating conditions, then you may rest easy knowing that help should be on the way.

Personally, I still see great utility in a PLB type device if your life is in danger.

Last edited:
CVChief, the answer you have not gotten is important. While having a Lifeline may prove to be lifesaving should it ever be needed, jusy having it and not knowing if the signal (voice or DSC) will be picked up is too trusting. Aldora did some testing in their environment which is good.

Lets imagine another boat sinking in the channel but no telephone this time. The voice function either does not work or there is no confirmation that it worked. I would use the DSC function (Mayday) since apparently it has a longer range than the voice capability.

How do you know that anyone picked it up? If beaucoup boats in the area and the Navy and/or Harbor master have the system and it has been tested to know useful operating conditions, then you may rest easy knowing that help should be on the way.

Personally, I still see great utility in a PLB type device if your life is in danger.

Well I thought it was a good question, but I think Dave is ignoring me. Maybe you could ask him? He likes you.... :crying:

That whole cell phone call for rescue was a very dicey thing. Amazing they got the call out before the cell phone bought the farm or even just that they got to the dry box with it in. Of course the other thing would be how would you carry it? In that incident, you could have lost the Nautilus with with the dive gear if it was attached there.

No problemo. Just let me know when the yacht makes it to Cozumel. I want to tell my friends, "No, sorry, I can't make WW's tonight, I am going Yachting."
As long as we’re shamelessly plugging for space on the yacht…. Hey Magnolia! How about me?

Now, I have yet to meet CV, but in addition to his self-proclaimed “scary” mind, I've heard he smokes smelly cigars, and dives with some freakish, superman-like pose which scares away all large reef inhabitants! (It has been told that after he gets aboard they all come out, laughing hysterically, and put on a tap dance show for the Mrs..) :wink:

If you choose me, I’ll be easy to spot. I’ll be the one carrying my own Lifeline!

me.jpg

Till Coz

~Deb

This is something I have been hanging on one of my tanks and telling the crew if it is there I am not on the boat......

I have this printed and laminated with a string to hang on a tank valve............

Been doing it for about 6 years and will now do the NLL card also.......
underwater tag.jpg
I also have a card that gets attached to my Zodiac's Motor that says I am diving and I started at _______ and if it has been more than 1.5 hrs from my dive start time please call the USCG on ch16 or via phone at # 787-123-1234 and report a missing Diver. Grease pencil for the time and I put the date on the top......

Boat tag.jpg

Guess people heed to get a dry pouch for your cell. I have one for my IPhone and can talk while it is in the bag and sealed. Had it for a year for the wet boat rides in the Zodiac... Got tired of replacing phones.....

Dear cvchief,

Please don't think I am ignoring you. I just got back to the world to care for my 12 year old twins in Houston, and I pre-ceeeded that with Carnival and Wednesday night at Wet Wendy's with the Scubaboard Group. I barely remember that I have twins now... and it is all the fault of Cozumel. Now what the heck is your question? I hope I can remember the answer. If not my fake button is now, maybe permanently broken, and I will continue to ignore you.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom