Nautilus Lifeline

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That was not our experience with the Nautilus. Perhaps there is a difference in receiver circuitry? But no matter the details and additional features,
which we did not test, they suit our specific concerns perfectly. Perhaps when cvchief comes down again we can share some Grey Goose and do some more detailed tests!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

PS Sometimes I fool around and go "tongue in cheek" too!

Dave, you are seriously killing me. You are doing it on purpose aren't you? The vein is sticking out on the side of my head.... Are you saying you don't and you don't know anyone who does have decoder for the automatic broadcast? I mean I think it is ok to say that. They are still WAY cool and useful even if you can't use the automatic part. Maybe I will stop and ask the Admiral on the next trip?

Keep it up and you are going to have to buy all the drinks! Can I mix the Grey Goose with arándano or is that a faux paux? I do like a little A&A....

I think that although alot, if not most, dive boats in Cozumel may not have VHF radios with DSC capabilities there are enough other boats in the area that do to make having a Nautilus worthwhile. I have seen both US and Mexican naval boats in port. Also there are the ferry boats and the 5 or 8 cruise ships that dock there daily. I am certain all of these have modern radios that can obtain the coordinates from a distress call. So if your diving close to town your probably going to be located via DSC/MMSI. Otherwise, like any other dive location, you would have to be within 3 miles? of a DSC capable radio to be located via this method. I still feel safer with mine even if the other boats don't have modern VHF's. If I am in sight of land I can give a visual description of what I see to another older VHF equipped boat that can hear me. This would help locate me as well as knowing they are within 3 miles. Just having a shoulder to cry on would help in a lost diver scenario.Anyway I think in Cozumel your odds would be better using this device than alot of areas in the US just due to the amount of traffic on the dive sites.

I totally agree that the unit would absolutely improve your safety even if there is not one radio in Mexico that can decode the signal. That wasn't my question. In the most recent incident, as I understand it, a radio of this type would have helped them absent the ability to decode in the radios as I believe aircraft passed near them before they were spotted. Heck, probably some of the boats might be able to use a gps app on their blackberries to find coordinates given to them verbally. And the Mexican Navy is more than in port, they have a base there. Yet, I don't know if they have those kind of modern radios. I also wouldn't say the dive sites are near town. I imagine the cruise ships would have the newer radios. I wouldn't make assumption on the ferries. All I wanted to know was if anyone actually KNEW of this type of modern radio capable of decoding the emergency signal was in operation in Cozumel. Even if the answer is NO, I still think having a waterproof, depth proof, compact VHF radios would be a nice little addition to your safety gear, so, for my part, we don't have to debate the question of the Nautilus having value based on radio equipment in the area. I know the boats HAVE VHF radios, so the unit WOULD be helpful.

It would be hard to say for sure. I wasn't certain when DSC became a requirement on VHF radios so I went to Seatow's website who issues MMSI numbers. According to them DSC became a requirement for fixed mount VHF radios in 1999. I would think the military and ferry's would have replaced theirs since then but again its Mexico. I can't seem to get 5 years out of one myself. As for decoding the information sent I pulled the owners manual for my Cobra MRF45 radio I bought about 3 years ago. Its a cheap fixed mount VHF. Basically it says when the radio is properly registered and the "distress" button is pressed the following happens: 1) A distress alarm will be sounded at all receiving stations on CH70 2) Receiving stations will be informed of your MMSI # 3)Receiving stations will be informed of your GPS location if you are connected to one or have manually entered your coordinates. I guess my question is do these radios automatically monitor CH70. My manual does say that if a distress call is received then an alarm will sound and the radio will automatically go to CH16. It says the MMSI # of the sender will appear on the screen and their coordiantes if they were sent. So my understanding is that anyone with a VHF radio installed on their boat purchased post 1999 should be able to receive a distress call with coordinates without any special decoding device.

The Lifeline "may" have been of value in the Scuba Mau boat sinking. Actually, unless they were close enough to a passing ferry boat, the value may have been low (In voice mode...higher using DSC in my current knowledge opinion). One range source suggests that a DSC signal may be useable to about three times the voice range.

I do not know a lot about many things, but it would not surprise me if we will see progress in equipping with DSC compatible radios in the near future. Hint hint: Navy and Harbor Master would be prime candidates for high quality units. If legal, use marine park fees to buy the units.

The height of the Harbor masters antennae would be high enough to receive a signal from mid channel, maybe even from the mainland. The north end of Barracuda where we contacted the Aldora office is further than that.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I'm not familiar with marine radios, but spent 28 years in the Air Force, 24 working on aircraft avionics, 16 specifically on communication and navigation equipment. My question for Nautilus: Please consider an attachment point for an additional external antenna. Flexible cable could be attached to, and rolled up within a SMB. Any additional height for the antenna would be greatly enhance RX/TX, especially if there are waves. Dave: The length of the cabling to your tower from the radio is not nearly as important as the number of mechanical connections in the cable, and their condition. Marine environments can quickly cause signal degradation due to corrosion of the coaxial connections. I'm sure it would be a blue beotch to climb the tower and clean the connectors, but your signal would improve if there is corrosion. BTW I enjoyed diving with Stacey Tuesday morning. PM me an email I'll send some photos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom