Nautilus Lifeline Radio Disassembly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok. It's pretty easy to do. Just need some very small blade type tools. I removed the hinge, cap. It's just a pin that you can tap out with a hammer and screwdriver. I then pried on the cap and had to use 2 flat small screwdrivers. The white cap will pry up. Go slow. The cap is just pressire fit in. I think this cap was to be replaced by Nautilus whenever they did exchange battery. Once the cap is popped off, there is a ribbon cable . You can push the black tab to remove that if you like. You can also just leave it attached. There is 2 screws to remove and then the whole inards pulls out.

Now just have to find a battery.

Attachments

• 20240530_225535.jpg
    20240530_225535.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 20240530_225510.jpg
    20240530_225510.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 28
  • 20240530_225450.jpg
    20240530_225450.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 20240530_225826.jpg
    20240530_225826.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 27
  • 20240530_225944.jpg
    20240530_225944.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 30
Ok. It's pretty easy to do. Just need some very small blade type tools. I removed the hinge, cap. It's just a pin that you can tap out with a hammer and screwdriver. I then pried on the cap and had to use 2 flat small screwdrivers. The white cap will pry up. Go slow. I think this cap was to be replaced by Nautilus when they did exchange battery. Once the cap is popped off, there is a ribbon cable . You can push the black tab to remove that if you like. You can also just leave it attached. There is 2 screws to remove and then the whole inards pulls out.

Now just have to find a battery.

Attachments

• 20240530_230925.jpg
    20240530_230925.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 20240530_231035.jpg
    20240530_231035.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 30
Well! Look at you!
Not sure about MX, but in the states, you could walk that into a Batteries Plus type place, and either they would have one, or they could build one right there while you wait. Betting that's a pretty common plug, too.
Just DO NOT tell them it is for a SOLAS-type or marine application; people tend to get really skittish there.

Also, I would replace any o rings while I was digging in it.

Also also, I would not unplug that thing for long in case there is some sort of watchdog mechanism in the firmware and it dumps.

Edit: you can either replace that moisture getter, or bake it slowly at about 120F for a few hours to recharge it. I bought a bag on amazon and just pitch them now.

FYI, I emailed Nautilus LL about my replacing the battery in that old, original radio. Their response:

"The battery for the original LifeLine Radio was a custom lithium ion. Unfortunately, all parts are now out of stock as this model of the LifeLine has been discontinued for several years.​
We have a newly updated version of our LifeLine Marine Rescue PGS that will be launching near the end of May. If you are interested, we will be accepting any previous gen LifeLine, in any condition, as a trade-in, for $135 USD + shipping (regular $245)."​
Not very helpful.
That's super common in this space. Planned obsolescence was created to address great workmanship. Plus dwindling numbers of competent technicians. It's easier to just bin the old one, give you a credit on it (so it gets out of the resale stream) and just get you into a newer one. Like HVAC but with the added ominous... it's orange for SAFETY, YOUR SAFETY

Well! Look at you!
Not sure about MX, but in the states, you could walk that into a Batteries Plus type place, and either they would have one, or they could build one right there while you wait. Betting that's a pretty common plug, too.
Just DO NOT tell them it is for a SOLAS-type or marine application; people tend to get really skittish there.

Also, I would replace any o rings while I was digging in it.

Also also, I would not unplug that thing for long in case there is some sort of watchdog mechanism in the firmware and it dumps.
No o rings inside. There is just the main one that is with the cap. I think they replace the whole top piece when they use to replace the battery. That's why it was like $75 to do. Battery may be a challenge to find . I'll have to search online with what i fo is on it. Not sure if I can make one here. I do that sort of thing out of neccesity living here and fixing my strobe battery packs, cave lights...cameras ...

Attachments

• 20240530_232154.jpg
    20240530_232154.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 20240530_232321.jpg
    20240530_232321.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 29
It didn't look like a flat pack; more some AAA's with spot welding and then a shrink wrap overlay. As long as whatever you shoehorn in there meets the voltage requirements, and the charging circuit can top them back off without overheating, shouldn't really matter.

Is there a thermocouple in the pack? Just a red and black? Hard to tell from the images.

Edit: I see three wires of the same diameter going into the plug. That can mean one of a few things depending on battery chemistry. Meter them out and you'll find out the purpose of the third, if you don't cut the pack apart

Sounds about right!
Only thing I would do is make absolutely certain that plug on the replacement is wired the same as the original. Other than that, smooth sailing from here!

Reactions: JFS

Back
Top Bottom