Naturagart, Germany

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oh yeah !! and why shoudn't I go ?

so you never travel to any country of which you don't speak the language unless you're an extremely talented multilingual person or maybe you never leave your own country :shakehead:

oh yeah !! and why shoudn't I go ?

so you never travel to any country of which you don't speak the language unless you're an extremely talented multilingual person or maybe you never leave your own country :shakehead:
I was joking. :D

Yes, I traveled more than 30 countries !

ok :D

I went to NaturaGart on August 15 on a dive organized by the JAVARO dive shiop in Diegem, Belgium (Loading Duikhuis Javaro Diving). The owner of the dive shop, Jan, speaks fluent English and the trip was well organized, the bus was comfortable, and the price reasonable. I plan on taking future trips with Javaro.

NaturaGart is a good concept. Dive the “remains” of an ancient sunken city…though not sure if the motif was supposed to be ancient Greek or ancient Egypt. The staff at NaturaGart spoke English, though to varying degrees.

NaturaGart is targeting two different groups: divers and bus tours. There is the “dive park.” They provide hand carts to truck your gear down a dirt / gravel path over to the diving area. On the way you jostle with Senior Citizens who are part of bus tours stopped there to admire the gardens and perhaps have some beverages and desert along the water side (In the “restaurant” we only had beers and soft drinks and the only food I saw were deserts). After our dive we ordered our drinks/deserts in a service line and ate outside. They did look to have an indoor restaurant but not sure what type service. I didn’t see anyone eating anything other than a desert.

The dive operation is limited by the amount of divers it can support. It’s just not that big a place. We had to use their cylinders due to some rule about how many tanks we were allowed to transport on our bus from Belgium to Germany. It will save you time if you can bring your own (filled) cylinder. One tank is all you will need for an 80 – 90 minute dive. They dive with DIN gear there so if you have an “international” regulator you might want to take a fitting to convert their tanks (if you opt to use one of theirs). One of the attendants was put out that we didn’t have the adapters, though they did scrounge up enough for us. I don’t know that NaturaGart is going to be a word diving Mecca so when in Rome…well…in Germany…expect to need a DIN adapter if you’re going to use their cylinders.

The dive area is shallow. The deepest I logged was 6.5 meters. The water temp was 21 Celsius. I managed with a full 3 mil and chicken vest w/hood but after 70 minutes I was getting cold. I regret not taking my 6 mil.

Everyone starts at the same entry point and in theory you follow a numbering system. In a few places the numbers were missing or one half of a number, say for example the “1” in “13” had fallen off, and that could become confusing with such bad visibility. At best I think in a few areas you could see up to two meters, but normally it was one meter or less. The water was greenish but it was the silt and sediment that hurt the visibility the most. My buddy and I were on the second wave in the water and by then visibility was just awful. What helped me find my way to all the “major” attractions was by setting a compass bearing on the opposite end of the pool before we descended. With the bearing I was always able to keep some semblance of orientation.

The most memorable part of the dive took place in one area known as “Felsental.” In the pool are many docile large fish, the biggest being the sturgeon at about 1 meter long (well, I think it was a sturgeon). We fin pivoted in a school of them and they literally swam right up to us and proceeded to bump and brush against us, often coming nose to nose. It was like a fish petting zoo. In 21 years of diving that was a first for me.

I did take my u/w camera but forgot (!!!!) my memory card so taking photos was a bust. Not that it would have done me much good in the poor visibility. I have, however, scanned a copy of the u/w map they gave us to navigate during the dive. You can see photos at Naturagart - Home but there is no English translation.

A few people did a second dive but…most of us opted out for the beer garden.
Was this worth eight hours on a bus (four up and four back)? I have to say yes if only for the unique experience. I did expect better visibility in a man-made pool but it was not unlike some of the cold dark quarries I’ve dived over the years. I could not see myself going back (unless I was long retired and on a bus tour) but glad I had the chance to see the place up front. It’s all part of diving. There seems to be a lot of construction going on and the establishment is expanding (or maybe they opened before they were 100% done with construction?), but the dive site looks to remain the same size for now. Showers cost 1 Euro (only takes a 1 Euro coin...no combinations of change). We did get scan badges to wear but nobody scanned them coming in or coming out of the water as they did in El Orans 2007 trip report comments.

I believe reservations are necessary (I would not go without them). If you send them an E-mail I think they will be able to respond in English, if not, find a friend who speaks German and let him or her have a whirl at it.

Attachments

• Scan10005.jpg
    Scan10005.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 56
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom