National Geographic Diving Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tassie_Rohan:
This is great - magazine-themed certificates: please wake me up when I can become a certified PADI Playboy Diver.

I'll be the one on the dive boat clad in a dressing gown, wearing a gold chain and 70's style sunnies, with a martini in one hand a bikini clad model in the other...

Cheers,
Rohan.

Hey Hef, that would almost make you a National Geographic PadI Playboy, but you left out the PADIpipesnorkel. Without proper standards, guess what you have left? I'm looking at the Reader's Digest course myself.

Tollie:
Dzer0,
Why dont you tell us about your goals. As you posted this in the Tech section... assuming your not just trolling for laughs perhaps you are interested in the tech route. If so agencies such as IANTD, GUE, NAUI and others have robust programs that will take you from your current basic o/w cert to where ever in the Technical relm you wish to go.

A personal recomendation for you is to look very closely at GUE training. You are close to Ft. Lauderdale and you can contact Brownies Southport Divers which does have an excellent GUE Instructor. I'm sure that your diving will be kicked up a notch or two (but be sure to check your ego at the door) LOL.

Its a great trip... enjoy

Basically I am into this for the fish and photography. I’m a huge fresh water fish enthusiast (250 gal South American aquarium) and have been in the hobby since I was a child following in my fathers footsteps. I am the geek underwater that just wants to watch the fish in his natural environment all day long oblivious to my friends that want to keep on moving. I am really into photography but don’t have an underwater kit for it yet so that will have to wait a little bit.

The NG just seemed like perhaps it would be the next logical step for my “goals” of understanding aquatic life and taking beautiful pictures of it. I keep asking around the dive shops for a Fish ID class or an underwater photography class and no one is really all that interested. I only posted this in the technical diving section because it seemed to be a catch all of subcategories.

dzer0:
Basically I am into this for the fish and photography. I’m a huge fresh water fish enthusiast (250 gal South American aquarium) and have been in the hobby since I was a child following in my fathers footsteps. I am the geek underwater that just wants to watch the fish in his natural environment all day long oblivious to my friends that want to keep on moving. I am really into photography but don’t have an underwater kit for it yet so that will have to wait a little bit.

The NG just seemed like perhaps it would be the next logical step for my “goals” of understanding aquatic life and taking beautiful pictures of it. I keep asking around the dive shops for a Fish ID class or an underwater photography class and no one is really all that interested. I only posted this in the technical diving section because it seemed to be a catch all of subcategories.

There are classes that are appropriate even if you are new and will definitely help you gain skills helpful in underwater photography. Classes like intro to cavern and dir-fundamentals teach you how to propel yourself strictly with your fins (look ma, no hands), teach you how to propel yourself backwards to maintain your place in the water column, precision bouyancy control and trim. These classes don't sound very sexy but the content is outstanding.

As far as the marine biology and photography skills, there are plenty of resources on line.

evad:
Hey Hef, that would almost make you a National Geographic PadI Playboy, but you left out the PADIpipesnorkel. Without proper standards, guess what you have left? I'm looking at the Reader's Digest course myself.

He needs to PM Tamas about how to get that card and snorkel. :wink:

OK Dzer0,

For fish id stuff a great rescource is Project reef: http://www.reef.org/

You can sign up and access a ton of information about fish populations at different points in the world. You also can do fish cennsus and contribute them to the data base.

For photography... please check out the Photo Forum here on SB.

Now for the obligitory PADI con ed pitch... there are pretty good specialties in photography and a new one in digital photography which will get you started. You also can take a fish ID (project awaire class).

I have wanted to do a non PADI class with a world class photographer like Steven Frink and you can google him and see what he offers. He is located in Key Largo.

Now down the line for you... way down the line are rebreathers (great for photographers).

Go slow however and take the classes (like GUE's Fundementals) that will give you a good solid platform (boyency and trim) and great propulsion skills (so you dont kick up the bottom)... these skills should be practiced by all divers and especially so by those who want to bring back images of the reef.

In truth this is not really the forum you need to get the information you want.

Tollie:
Go slow however and take the classes (like GUE's Fundementals)

He wants to buy a Mares HUB type BC. So I don't see his goals in line with GUE. He's probably better off with National Geo.

TheRedHead:
He wants to buy a Mares HUB type BC. So I don't see his goals in line with GUE. He's probably better off with National Geo.

Perhaps if he gets some background info on why bouyancy, trim and propulsion techniques are beneficial for underwater photography, things like gear purchases might become more intuitive.

I never said i wanted a HUB bc, and thank you for your advice. I think i will just invest in some quality photography classes and keep practicing those skills. Thanks for the excellent link!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom