National Geographic Diving Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dzer0

Registered
Reaction score
I have been debating this for a while, whether or not to get National Geographic certified on my next trip down to the Keys. Honestly I think I’m just attracted to the title and being able to say “yea look at me I’m a National Geographic Certified Diver!” The website looks great and all but if you look at the program specs it just seems to be a combination of advanced + project aware + photography classes. Does anyone have any real insight into this? Please tell me it’s not just another attempt by PADI to take my money!

http://www.padi.com/ng/

People, so often times, answer their own questions.

the K

Hi,

If you are not yet certified and your public profile does not indicate your status, you would be better off posting this in the new to scuba section. There will be folks there who have actually been thru the NG program.

All you will get here is a cynical take.

The NG program is a strong step up for initial certification... and places an important emphasis on buoyancy control and situational awareness.

In truth I'm not sure there are any bragging rights to a NG cert but it will be a stronger introduction to diving than you will get from a basic o/w cert.

Oh... welcome to SB

And if you have a technical bent you still need to begin somewhere and this is not a bad place to begin.

This is not a technical diving specialty.
If you want to get training in bouyancy and navigation then take the advanced course and select the specialties that interest you. That way you are advancing your skills and not just wasting money on a useless (my opinion) certification.

Walter:
LOL! This is extremely funny!

"As a National Geographic Diver, you join an elite group of explorers..."

TheRedHead:
"As a National Geographic Diver, you join an elite group of explorers..."

Plus, everyday for the rest of your life you'll wake up with the National Geographic theme song playing in your head.

Tollie:
The NG program is a strong step up for initial certification... and places an important emphasis on buoyancy control and situational awareness.

In truth I'm not sure there are any bragging rights to a NG cert but it will be a stronger introduction to diving than you will get from a basic o/w cert.

Only if comparing it to a regular PADI OW cert.

"You'll learn to observe and explore like an underwater scientist."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom