National Aquarium in Baltimore Volunteer Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoyden:
Pedro and I took the test Monday night along with a bunch of other folks (80-100ish). I think that it was a hard test to guess how well you did on - they promised that we'd get our results quickly and if I don't make it this time, I think that I will be able to prepare better for the the next time. The diving questions were pretty much what you'd expect in a basic OW test. The fish/sealife questions were a little harder and I don't think that I did as well on that section. We'll see. I think that I will try to get a volunteer slot somewhere else in the aquarium even if I don't make it into the dive program this year.

Jackie

1st off to MW Powell - There are no divers in the evenings. We go home somewhere between 430 to 5PM. Sometimes vol divers do a night dive for special occasions, but you need to be an active vol. diver and on a team to participate.

to Jackie - congratulations on taking the test and hopefully you did well, however your attitude is great ! A number of divers took more than one time to get in and your desire to volunteer in other areas will REALLY help you next time ! (if you need a next time, that is). I'm one of the divers at the pool test and I remember a couple of years ago a diver was back for his 5th time ! Wow, that's determination (he passed by the way - just a bad case of nerves).

I think if I wasn't a diver, I'd volunteer to help the aquarists (my interest are in the animals), but there are vol positions as exhibit guides and in other areas as well.

Hope to see you at the pool

NAIBDiver1

I just got my test results and made the cut for the dive test - now I have two weeks to stress over that:). I will try to get some pool time in next weekend and hope I have a good day in the pool for the test.

Jackie

Congratulations Jackie!!!!!!!

I remember seeing how many people were there to take the written and being pretty intimidated by the odds. The pool screening was actually fun as I remember it.

Hoyden:
I just got my test results and made the cut for the dive test - now I have two weeks to stress over that:). I will try to get some pool time in next weekend and hope I have a good day in the pool for the test.

Jackie

Good job, Jackie and congratulations. The pool test isn't hard at all. If you're a diver, you should be able to do all the stuff easily. Boyancy contol is paramount. Remember the fellow I wrote about being back five times ? He had the skills, just nerves that jammed him up, so relax and have fun. Think of it as a dive outing with a group of friends. Before you do the pool test, you'll be interviewed by a panal of three volunteer divers. Make sure you have a good answer as to what the mission of the aquarium is. Also there will be about 40 divers there and you will be asked by the panal that since they will be interviewing many divers, what is it about you that will make them remember you.

I'll try to look for you at the pool test. I think your postings on this forum show a good bit of incentive and I'll pass that along to your interviewers.

Best of luck

NAIBDiver1

Thanks for the advice and encouragement, Throwback and NAIBDiver1. I have some pool time lined up for next weekend to get in some last minute buoyancy practice. I hope that I don't get too nervous and do poorly, but I am very excited to have made it this far.

Jackie

I hope that I don't get too nervous and do poorly,

Why get nervous??? What can happen? Will they put you in front of a firing squad if you don't do something "right"??? Nooooo. All that could happen is that you have to wait a year. Life continues. Remember, it is not life or death.

Well I started this thread but unfortunately it's my time to jump off. I figured I got a score of 40/50 on the test at worst but I was unsure what the cut off would be. When Jackie got her results, I figured I didn't make it because I hadn't received mine yet. But when I opened the test results, I was throughly embarrassed. The cutoff was 38/50 or 76% or a C and I couldn't make that. I had never gotten more than one wrong on any of my OW or AOW tests, so to get more than 12 wrong is down right embarrassing.

I didn't study for the test because since I dive somewhat regularly, I felt I had a good grasp of the diving section and I would just do the best I could with the marine life sections. I think the first few marine life questions, threw me off, since people said it would be easier than it actually was. I probably didn't spend the time on each question as I needed to, especially the diving section. I had to have missed more of those questions that I should've nailed easily.

Well at least they can't take away my certifications. HA HA!!

Since I am a government contractor, I am not sure if I will be able to volunteer next year but if I can I will there more determined not only to be a NAIB volunteer diver but to ace the test next time around.

Good Luck to Jackie and all the other that passed. And to those that didn't, lets come back next year and not only pass the test but ace it.

Pedro

Well, thanks for starting the thread!!! Wish I had seen it a little earlier so I could have taken this year's test!!!! :banghead:

Lets keep it going. I'm on for getting into next years test. Tell us what was on the test. Jackie can tell us how the practical goes, & then all of us can be ready for next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bang:

Definitely great attitudes all around. I just had my first "wet" day at the aquarium. I'd certainly rate NAIB as the best locale dive spot. You'll also not meet any fish more happy to see you get in the water! Although there was a small puffer that was too happy to see me and held on to a couple of my fingers for a little bit, a small price to pay for a great volunteer job though.

Good luck to evryone starting the process and best of luck to everyone onboard to test again next year. There is a lot of waiting at every stage of the process, but it is worth every minute.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom