National Aquarium in Baltimore Volunteer Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pairizarry

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently submitted an online application for the volunteer divers program at the National Aquarium in Baltimore. I received paperwork yesterday which provided me more info on dates of tests, etc.

Is there anyone out there, who is currently or formerly a volunteer at this facility? I would like to prepare for the test and would like to know what areas to concentrate on. According to the memo I received the tests covers: SCUBA diving skills, basic diving physiology, dive table usage, first aid, and basic marine mammal and coral reef biology.

I would also like to get the inside scoop of the committment level of volunteering and overall satisfaction of the experience.

I would appreciate any info.

Thanks

Pedro

Only visited that aquarium once> Good luck though.

I am signed up to take the test as well. There seems to be a real lack of information available on this. I ordered a couple of general books (coral reef and marine mammals) from Amazon and plan to review my OW textbook. Hope that covers it.

Jackie

Thanks for the link that helped. Hopefully this thread will get more updated info.

Thanks again

Pedro

Hey Pedro,
No info for ya....saw the post and just wanted to wish you good luck! Have a good holiday, and get up with me when the weather turns warm!

Jason

Hoyden:
I am signed up to take the test as well. There seems to be a real lack of information available on this. I ordered a couple of general books (coral reef and marine mammals) from Amazon and plan to review my OW textbook. Hope that covers it.

Jackie

I guess I will see you at the test on Monday Jan 10th. It's going to be a long ride driving over to the UMBC campus coming from Chantilly, VA. I definitely have to leave work early that day to make it through the traffic on time. Which books did you order?

It will be interesting how this all works out. I just hope to make it to the water skills test for now.

Good Luck

Pedro

Jason B:
Hey Pedro,
No info for ya....saw the post and just wanted to wish you good luck! Have a good holiday, and get up with me when the weather turns warm!

Jason

Thanks Jason. It seems like an interesting endeavor, so we'll see how it turns out. I am signed up for the April NC trip, so I will definitely see you and the rest of the NCWD crew. I will be happy to go back to Lake Rawlings with you guys next year.

Happy Holidays to you and your family

Pedro

pairizarry:
I guess I will see you at the test on Monday Jan 10th. ... Which books did you order?

It will be interesting how this all works out. I just hope to make it to the water skills test for now.

Good Luck

Pedro

I ordered Coral Reefs: Ecology, Threats, and Conservation by Charles Sheppard and
Whales, Dolphins, and Other Marine Mammals (A Golden Guide from St. Martin's Press). I found used copies at amazon for a great price. Hope they are helpful. The idea of taking a test with no real idea what will be on it isn't very pleasant.

Jackie

I will let my friend know about this thread. She is involved with the volunteer dive program there. Of course, with the holiday's so close I cannot guarantee an immediate response.

From what I have heard you don't need to have the knowledge of a marine biologist. Just a willingness to be a team player and do the various tasks assigned.

Good luck to you all.

Back
Top Bottom