Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello everyone,

I'm new to ScubaBoard. I stumbled across this site looking for more information as I finish up college. I am a senior studying Environmental Biology at USF and aiming to become a research diver working with reefs and other species hopefully still in Florida coasts with occasional yearly travel if available. My goal here is to learn more about becoming a better diver. Information on what researchers or those in the career of scuba diving look for when hiring. Maybe specific certifications or just outside of diving advice. Additional things I'm focusing as I transition to more advanced certifications are more inner workings of the gear I use, more specifics on the pros and cons of side mount and the technical diving courses as I would love to expand my hobby into not only diving wrecks, but hear there are more redundancies in the event of gear failure. Rebreathers looked very cool, but may be outside of my price range for now so I haven't looked into that route. haha. I am on schedule to receive Nitrox, Advanced Open Water, and Rescue Diver through March and April. I will then submit info for becoming a Master Diver as I already have over the 50 dives required. (was more of a personal dream goal when I got certified back when I was 11). I've done some basic courses like buoyancy and navigation to better hone those related skills. Living in Florida my diving has mostly been Ocean diving in reefs with some low visibility freshwater dives in places like Devil's Den and Blue Grotto. I've been to Bonaire for my outside of the country experience diving. Hoping for more trips like that after I finish college and to help be a part of preserving these types of ecosystems for the future.

Let me know if you have any knowledge to share. :) Thanks!

Welcome! you will get lots of advice here....most of it bad. :p

Check in with the Vero Beach Scuba Club of Facebook. We have lots of members throughout Florida with lots of dive pros. Club mission statement is "divers helping divers". The club is FREE! and we do a lot of trips and educational events.

Feel free to ping me with any questions. I'm a tech diving instructor and an IT.

The best advice i ever got in scuba was "never stop learning"!

Welcome to ScubaBoard from another Florida resident! I live in SWFL just south of Ft. Myers. The majority of my diving these days are monthly trips over to Palm Beach County to dive, from Jupiter south to Boynton Beach. That area offers an unbroken stretch of amazing drift diving!!

Welcome! you will get lots of advice here....most of it bad. :p

Check in with the Vero Beach Scuba Club of Facebook. We have lots of members throughout Florida with lots of dive pros. Club mission statement is "divers helping divers". The club is FREE! and we do a lot of trips and educational events.

Feel free to ping me with any questions. I'm a tech diving instructor and an IT.

The best advice i ever got in scuba was "never stop learning"!
I will check it out. Looks like some neat fossil dives and wrecks were posted there I didn't know about. Really would be cool to get into stuff like that. A Tec diving instructor? I have a plethora of questions haha

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom