N.C. Wreck Diving Trip: Oct 4-6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is going to be a lot of change from earlier this year. This storm is really going to alter the condition of the wrecks.

HI

Kamala called and said the water temperatures around 80F to the bottom. Warmest water for all summer. I can't hardly wait to get wet.

Happy and Safe Diving

Ron

grumpygrouper once bubbled...
HI

Kamala called and said the water temperatures around 80F to the bottom. Warmest water for all summer. I can't hardly wait to get wet.

Happy and Safe Diving

Ron

i hope it holds out. the surface temps have been around 80, but for most of the summer its been in the 60s at depth.

i'd be more than happy to spend the weekend in 80 degree water.

going out tomorrow with Coastal Scuba out of North Myrtle Beach. should be interesting.

Brad

I'd just wear my polyskin, but I expect I'll wear it and a 3 mil long, and keep my 3 mile over suit handy just in case!

I imagine the viz will be a little murky tomorrow even as far as Myrtle Beach, but two weeks from now - it ought to be great!

:mean: Don

:wflag: Spoke with KAMALA, and she says the F-Inn and the Diver-Down both made it thru Isy okay, she hasn't turned loose of the last few boat spaces yet, and she thinks she can get rooms. Gawd, being a tour sponsor is probably hard work. :errrr: Anyway, I guess it's too late for cheap plane tickets (unless you know a trick I don't know?) but SB members who live close enough to drive in can still get the SB discount and the drive-in rate.

Looking forward to gettting down on the wrecks now that they've been stirred by the storm!

Don,

good info. was wondering how they held out. from what we have heard, Atlantic Beach took a massive pounding, and they are only a mile from Moorehead City.

as for the water right now, did the dives out of North Myrtle Beach, SC and the viz was pretty bad. 30 miles out we had about 15-20 foot viz. but the water temps were mid-70s.

in two weeks the viz should be good in NC, hopefully the water stays warm.

Brad

oh yeah, and maaaaaybe we can get VaScubaGirl to join us.

Hey....GOOD NEWS.... Diver Down and the Fisherman's Inn took nary a scratch and were out diving just 1.5 days after the storm hit! Unfortunately Discovery Diving lost all thier docks so can't run yet. Olympus had some damage to their docks but got out on Sunday of last weekend.

Here is the REST of the good news...

Temp was 78 & 79 top to bottom!!!!
Vis was compromised but improved 5ft or more each day! (It will be great by Oct 4-6)

And are you sitting down....

The storm turned some of the wrecks...and exposed more metal then has been seen in years. It also opened up a hole on one of the wrecks where silverware...spoons, forks, etc. were found. LOTS of them. A number of brass items were found....including just laying in the sand by the U-352 German U-Boat. Some broken cups and plates were found.....and that was in low vis. WAIT TIL WE CAN ACTUALLY SEE THINGS....

So there are only 4 spots left if anyone is up for finding cool things. I am....so that makes that only 3 spots left!

Wreck Wench once bubbled...
The storm turned some of the wrecks...and exposed more metal then has been seen in years. It also opened up a hole on one of the wrecks where silverware...spoons, forks, etc. were found. LOTS of them. A number of brass items were found....including just laying in the sand by the U-352 German U-Boat. Some broken cups and plates were found.....and that was in low vis. WAIT TIL WE CAN ACTUALLY SEE THINGS....

oh yeah, toooooo cool.

the viz should be great by next weekend.

gotta love the hurricanes

lol

Just heard they had 70ft of vis on the Papoose today....the vis is back!!!! Two more spots just got filled so that leaves only 2 left on the whole boat...

Back
Top Bottom