My venture into Sidemount.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I spared Rob...after all, he WAS the instructor....

I seem to recall something about groping other parts of your buddy's anatomy... :mooner:

Is that why he hasn't called back?:depressed:

Wow! Yo, Rob . . . about your next class . . . . :D

Took a modified SMS100 on a dive today. This rig has the shoulder strap position changed, additional bars on the butt plate portion of the harness, a different bungee system, and the LP inflator coming off the bottom.

I like the shoulder strap position better, but the way this mod was done, it's not easily repositioned.

One of the issues I had with the rails on the standard rig are they are too close together. I am pretty flexible and can easily do valve drills in backmount, however, I had a very hard time reaching the rails the first time I tried this rig. Additional rails have been installed on this rig in a more outer location. However, because of the location where they had to be placed, the stability I'm used to having in my Nomad wasn't there. My cylinders wouldn't stay where they were supposed to, moving quite a bit with my movement.

Finally, I had the hardest time purging air from the wing. There were times I had to go vertical to get enough air out (not a good thing in a cave). After the dive I examined the rig and noticed the shoulder exhaust is located on the underside of the wing. In all fairness, it's supposed to be located on the "top" of the wing, but because of the design, the exhaust lays down toward the front. One of the reasons I like my dump on the shoulder is the ease of dumping air without having to leave my horizontal position. This isn't possible in the SMS100, at least a complete purge isn't.

I was hoping the SMS100 would work out better than it has, but, at least for me, it hasn't. Again, this isn't to say the Nomad is perfect by any means. I have made extensive modifications to my Nomad to make it work for me. The difference is the modifications I've made haven't required an industrial sewing machine or relocating dump valves.

:w-t-f: OMG, how do you guys DO that?!?!?!

Here's the background - I've been diving my single to learn to get it and my drysuit under control. I went back to SM this weekend because I am hoping to get my final two dives in for AN/DP in a couple of weeks. My brilliant thought - let me breath down my right tank which was at 1500 and then I'll have it re-filled - seemed to make good sense to not waste the gas since my LDS partial pressure fills. I could just practice my reg switches and switch right back to the right tank . . .

I figure I had about 4 lbs difference between the full and the less full tank, and it would go to about 7 lbs at 500psi on the right. I'm pretty sure I looked like a wounded fish, swimming on my side. I found out I could do a helicopter turn pivoting on my right hip (balancing the heavy tank on my left).

So I ask, how in the world do you guys sidemount single tanks and not look weird doing it? do you slap a 7lb weight on your belt? :idk:

I've only ever sidemounted aluminum cylinders. It makes a big difference. If I have to no mount a steel cylinder the floor and ceiling will keep me from tilting. :D

I've only ever sidemounted aluminum cylinders. It makes a big difference. If I have to no mount a steel cylinder the floor and ceiling will keep me from tilting. :D

Ahh, so cheating is a method . . . . :snicker: :joke:

Still, the difference with a full aluminum on one side and nothing on the right is about 4 lbs . . . . just like what I started with. What's the secret?

Still, the difference with a full aluminum on one side and nothing on the right is about 4 lbs . . . . just like what I started with. What's the secret?

Skill. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom