My venture into Sidemount.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seriously.
.....Seriously CD, you shouldn't pull someone's leg. That should be left for lights out/no vis, OOA, line oking touch contact exiting an overhead environment. Then it is ok to squeeze your buddy's thigh to communicate with them.

.....Seriously CD, you shouldn't pull someone's leg. That should be left for lights out/no vis, OOA, line oking touch contact exiting an overhead environment. Then it is ok to squeeze your buddy's thigh to communicate with them.

:spit:

Yes, I think the Fusion is a fine redundant buoyancy option. With the valve wide open, I can compensate entirely for about 7 lbs of gas. With the valve closed, I'm quite sure I could do a great deal more, so long as I remained horizontal.

Denisegg, have you dived a Fusion? I've had mine for over three years, and have had two pinhole leaks in it, prior to the bolt tearing a gash in it when I fell off the boat last weekend. It's a very durable suit, and has been much less problematic than either of the two I had before.

Yes I dove the fusion. Many times. It was horrendous. I have a friend who knows a friend that let me dive it free of charge. I tried two different undergarments with it. It was the most horrendous experience I have ever had. I then tried Edd's recommendation of a neoprene neck seal Pinnacle Black Ice....the most awesome difference I have ever seen in any equipment.

Interesting -- my experience has been the exact opposite.

Experience is just that....experience...I have been to 160ffw in my black ice and DR EXP nomad with 2lbs trim weight and had absolutely no dive problems with an awesome dive with no issues.

Last edited:
So if you are asking, my take on the fusion is a garbage sack with a rather slim version of a 1 ml (I tried the new tech version), so called cave equipped covering to somehow compensate for the redundant over excessive fabric that is underneath to make it an almost one size fits all. The truth is, it makes you feel like you have donned a garbage sack with a somewhat 1ml suit on the top. Air got trapped in all the excess material, caused my undergarments to be way much heavier than need be with a garbage sack containing them over a pretty much 1 ml sort of neoprene on top. Air got trapped in virtually every hole that could be imagined. I felt like the good year blimp with modest undergarments and could not even reach my drysuit over inflation valve because my short arms would simply not give me the mobility to reach my left arm.
I felt like a marshmallow trying to navigate to the water in back mounted HP100's. At Orange Grove, I literally plunged into the water and lay there floating on the top.
Horrific.....
So, for what it is worth, I sent it back and purchased the Pinnacle Black Ice Neoprene suit. Now I realize that a 7ml crushed to a 4ml may not be the opportune thermal protection for the average diver. I went to aeroskin, which sells a 1 ml neutrally buoyant undergarment which fits snugly, to purchase my undergarments. You can get many options. I chose the two piece set which I am fantastically satisfied with. It makes for a nice hook up to the she-p. I am ecstatic. The fabric is warm, tight fitting and neutrally buoyant. I can wear my black ice, aeroksin undergarments, and nothing else with my sidemount hp100's and have no need for extra weight.

Last edited:
Hm . . . we've kinda moved way off topic of sidemounting . . .

Maybe we could break this off into a "Loose seals?" thread?

So if you are asking, my take on the fusion is a garbage sack with a rather slim version of a 1 ml, so called cave equipped covering to somehow compensate for the redundant over excessive fabric that is underneath to make it an almost one size fits all.

Interesting. I seem to remember some of the original reviews of the fusion making the same comparison to garbage bags.

It looks like a garbage bag!

What I find interesting is that Denise (and Wendy) had horrible experiences with air trapping and the like, and although my suit is big on me (and I have dived Peter's suit, which is a whole size bigger) I've never had the issues. Just goes to show that no one thing is perfect for everybody.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom