My venture into Sidemount.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I carry at least one lift bag on all OW dives, regardless of depth and whether I dive dry or not. Too many uses for me not to have one.

I also have a 25lb dual lift / SMB by XS scuba. (The 8' can be seen over the rocks if we get caught behind them.) I believe neither drysuit nor wetsuit gives me +22 in buoyancy, so -22lb in a wing failure is a stretch for a +25 lift capability. Too close for comfort, I think?

I'll try the rolled seals.

I also have a 25lb dual lift / SMB by XS scuba. (The 8' can be seen over the rocks if we get caught behind them.) I believe neither drysuit nor wetsuit gives me +22 in buoyancy, so -22lb in a wing failure is a stretch for a +25 lift capability. Too close for comfort, I think?

I'll try the rolled seals.

What pray tell is a Dual Lift/SMB....?

A bag comes along on all OW dives.... how else am I supposed to let the boat know where I am when my buddies abandon 'lil 'ole me.. :)

What pray tell is a Dual Lift/SMB....?

A bag comes along on all OW dives.... how else am I supposed to let the boat know where I am when my buddies abandon 'lil 'ole me.. :)

Most SMBs say, 'do not use as a flotation device', while this XS Scuba one says it will lift 25 lbs . . .

My XS Scuba comes with me all the time -- I'm just asking those of you with more experience if the 25 lb bag would be sufficient as a redundant lift device. My calculations say it is right at the edge if I lost my wing, and had to use my suit and SMB/lift bag as my redundant lift.

Most SMBs say, 'do not use as a flotation device', while this XS Scuba one says it will lift 25 lbs . . .

My XS Scuba comes with me all the time -- I'm just asking those of you with more experience if the 25 lb bag would be sufficient as a redundant lift device. My calculations say it is right at the edge if I lost my wing, and had to use my suit and SMB/lift bag as my redundant lift.

Well - on the CCR & a 3mm I'm heavy... I had the recent misfortune of poking three lionfish spear sized holes in the wing bladder. Of course I only discovered this at 110 fsw.... I was able to complete the dive lurching around w/ a rather overinflated counter lung... I certainly didn't win any points for being silt free... :rofl3:

You should really get the proper fitting neck and wrist seals for your drysuit. With improperly fitted seals you run the risk of leaks or flooding which can impair performance, warmth, buoyancy and trim.
Gamble at GambleScuba.com does an excellent job and is very fast. He replaced my neoprene neck seal with a latex seal for a nominal fee. He was finished in a week also. It fits perfectly and I have not had any leaks.

Reactions: Jax
Well - on the CCR & a 3mm I'm heavy... I had the recent misfortune of poking three lionfish spear sized holes in the wing bladder. Of course I only discovered this at 110 fsw.... I was able to complete the dive lurching around w/ a rather overinflated counter lung... I certainly didn't win any points for being silt free... :rofl3:

:rofl3: :rofl3: There is a reason I gave away my pole spear! :D

You should really get the proper fitting neck and wrist seals for your drysuit. With improperly fitted seals you run the risk of leaks or flooding which can impair performance, warmth, buoyancy and trim.
Gamble at GambleScuba.com does an excellent job and is very fast. He replaced my neoprene neck seal with a latex seal for a nominal fee. He was finished in a week also. It fits perfectly and I have not had any leaks.

Denise, the problem is me, not the seals. Somehow, I have to scare up a children's size. For example, my wrist seals are 5.5" in circumference, and my wrists are 6". Dive-aholic says I'll always leak at the wrist . . . :(

Denise, the problem is me, not the seals. Somehow, I have to scare up a children's size. For example, my wrist seals are 5.5" in circumference, and my wrists are 6". Dive-aholic says I'll always leak at the wrist . . . :(

Check out Waterproof USA Your Fusion can be updated (Dive Right In Scuba) to allow replaceable/silicone seals.

Also check out Jill who reviews her new drysuit from the same company...

Rebreather Pro: Cave Diver Jill Heinerth Reviews Waterproof Dry Suit

Give Dive Right In Scuba a call and they can confirm silicone wrist sizes.

Dwayne

I just went and measured my wrists and they are 6" and my pinnacle black ice wrist seals are 5" which is what came on the size small suit.
I tried a fusion and afraid I hated it. I had leaky wrist seals with it also. I was fortunate enough to try from a retailer who allowed me to use it and return it if I didn't like it.
I purchased the pinnacle black ice and the drysuit lace up boots that are incredibly comfortable and act like a gator by cinching up your feet. I have never had floaty feet. It dives just like a wetsuit.
When I was trying out the fusion, I had a couple of feet first ascents start that I had to do the tuck and roll to counteract.
I used the neoprene neck seal that came with the black ice for a while and it was fine but lady's with their hair makes for pulling some of it out every time you don and doff. :D

Some of us have very pronounce tendons in our wrists and no matter how small the wrist seals, there will always be some leakage through the seals. I rarely come out of the water without at least my forearms being wet.

Check out Waterproof USA Your Fusion can be updated (Dive Right In Scuba) to allow replaceable/silicone seals.
<snipped>
Dwayne

Trust me, Mike at DRIS has been quite helpful, and I currently have the quick replace system and the silicone seals.

However, I can put any seal into the system ... Denise, do you have any idea which ones you have?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom