My venture into Sidemount.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some of us have very pronounce tendons in our wrists and no matter how small the wrist seals, there will always be some leakage through the seals. I rarely come out of the water without at least my forearms being wet.

Did I mention that I hate it when you're right? At least on this subject? :D

What do you think about the lift bag for open water, Rob? Should I always carry my 50lb just-in-case?

Trust me, Mike at DRIS has been quite helpful, and I the quick replace system and the silicone seals.

However, I can put any seal into the system ... Denise, do you have any idea which ones you have?

I have the latex wrist seals that came with the black ice. But Rob wears a black ice so if he is having the same issue as you then I guess changing out the seal for the same as the black ice seals wouldn't solve the problem. I was just going by the fact that wrist measurements being the same, the black ice wrist seal was a 1/2 in shorter in comparison to the fusion. A friend of mine purchased the black ice and had to replace her neck and wrist seals in the size small because she was getting leaks. She is also allergic to regular latex so Gamble replaced hers with a latex that she wasn't allergic to in a smaller size.
Have you tried the silicone seals for the fusion? Another question, what type of undergarments are you using with your fusion and how much weight do you have to wear with it with your hp100's?

I have the latex wrist seals that came with the black ice. But Rob wears a black ice so if he is having the same issue as you then I guess changing out the seal for the same as the black ice seals wouldn't solve the problem. I was just going by the fact that wrist measurements being the same, the black ice wrist seal was a 1/2 in shorter in comparison to the fusion.
Have you tried the silicone seals for the fusion? Another question, what type of undergarments are you using with your fusion and how much weight do you have to wear with it with your hp100's?

Yes, have the silicone now. I did notice that if I put my dive watch on top of the seal, it leaks less. Next, a bungee, I think.

Undergarments - arctic xero therms, with the regular xerotherms sometimes.

weight - single HP100, 4 fresh, 8 salt, with my kydex plate. I'm going back to the steel, as soon as I get more webbing. SM - none - just the 4lb of trim.

Some of us have very pronounce tendons in our wrists and no matter how small the wrist seals, there will always be some leakage through the seals. I rarely come out of the water without at least my forearms being wet.

Ditto.

Well it is a shame that the silicone seals don't fix this problem; however, do you really get wet enough on your arms to affect the buoyancy of the suit and diminish it's ability to be used as an alternate lift source?

Great . . . sounds like 'dry' is more a state of mind.

Well it is a shame that the silicone seals don't fix this problem; however, do you really get wet enough on your arms to affect the buoyancy of the suit and diminish it's ability to be used as an alternate lift source?

No, but I can squeeze (not wring) a nice stream of water out of my sleeves after an hour-long immersion. :)

The last of your question is why my concern about, "should I continue to carry the 50lb lift bag as a redundant buoyancy device?"

Originally, I planned to use my drysuit as the alternate. However, the way my suit allows air to slip through the neck (or wrists), I'm concerned it won't do much for buoyancy if I have a catastrophic wing failure. I always carry an SMB which is also a 25lb lift bag. However, would the limited drysuit capability + the 25lb lift be enough to handle two steel 100's + 4 lbs?

Or, I carry the 50lb lift bag as well. Which my instructor requires me to shoot if I'm carrying it. (SMB one dive, the lift bag the other dive. The lift bag hates me.)

No, but I can squeeze (not wring) a nice stream of water out of my sleeves after an hour-long immersion. :)

This is why I love dry gloves. That, and the water temps here.

Have you tried pulling your seals further up your forearm instead of leaving it around your wrist?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom