My venture into Sidemount.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam I dont see her judgement being clouded. Clouded judgement is the ones you normally see from new GUE people and its not what she is showing. Like some classes are fun and you learn a lot as in Robs classes. Some are fun and the people suck after and some lose perspective on why they are even diving because the instructor takes all the fun out of it.

I dont see her doing any bashing, just reinforcing a positive in her dive instructions. If you want biased, come to JB when GUE or the DIR crowd show up. Luckily they dont represent the group as a whole.

you see it on both sides :wink:

And that is a shame really. I have friends and dive buddies who dive only OW and back mount, cave dive rebreathers, and pretty much everything in between.
My original post about my class was really to stress the importance of gaining proficiency in the gear in which you choose to dive, for whatever reason that is.
For that reason, because sidemount was my configuration of choice, when I decided to progress further with my training I chose an agency and instructor that specialized in the training I wanted in the sidemount gear configuration that I enjoy.

So Jax, I have one question. If you love sidemount and had a positive experience with your class and it is your choice of gear configuration, why did you take a GUE class knowing that a particular gear configuration is one of the essential fundamentals in that class?

Freakin tech divers! :dramaqueen:

And that is a shame really. I have friends and dive buddies who dive only OW and back mount, cave dive rebreathers,

:wavey:

So Jax, I have one question. If you love sidemount and had a positive experience with your class and it is your choice of gear configuration, why did you take a GUE class knowing that a particular gear configuration is one of the essential fundamentals in that class?

I did not take it in backmount, I took it in a single. I wanted to learn what this wonderful GUE stuff is all about. Okay, I learned it. I was not able to demonstrate that I could meet their standards due to my stupidity with the drysuit thing, but I know I can, and have video evidence that I can. . . . not consistently, but I can.

I simply have to continue practice. I already know the material through other classes and reading; I simply had to learn the GUE way. Okay, done.

My point about Rob's training is that from the first moment I saw him glide through the water, I was all, "Holy schizzle, I want to dive like that!" While I worked my butt off, the whole time I was able to laugh at my FU's and know I could succeed. I never did dismount the tanks correctly, but I know I have the training to develop the skills. I took that away.

The drills and skills taught in the GUE Fundies are the same one might get through an Intro to Tec, as I understand it. It simply holds the AOW / Nitrox / rescue diver to a higher standard of performance. IMO. :idk:

It simply holds the AOW / Nitrox / rescue diver to a higher standard of performance. IMO. :idk:

The standard of performance may be written a certain way by an agency, but it is acheived through the instruction.

Reactions: Jax
I did not take it in backmount, I took it in a single. I wanted to learn what this wonderful GUE stuff is all about. Okay, I learned it. I was not able to demonstrate that I could meet their standards due to my stupidity with the drysuit thing, but I know I can, and have video evidence that I can. . . . not consistently, but I can.

I simply have to continue practice. I already know the material through other classes and reading; I simply had to learn the GUE way. Okay, done.

My point about Rob's training is that from the first moment I saw him glide through the water, I was all, "Holy schizzle, I want to dive like that!" While I worked my butt off, the whole time I was able to laugh at my FU's and know I could succeed. I never did dismount the tanks correctly, but I know I have the training to develop the skills. I took that away.

The drills and skills taught in the GUE Fundies are the same one might get through an Intro to Tec, as I understand it. It simply holds the AOW / Nitrox / rescue diver to a higher standard of performance. IMO. :idk:

if that's what you took away from your class it was all cocked up. that's not what that class is supposed to be about at all

if that's what you took away from your class it was all cocked up. that's not what that class is supposed to be about at all

Do you mean the concept of team and communication? That is not new to me.

Ummm . . . should we take this to the Fundies thread?

To be fair, I think it goes both ways. I know there are a few people who won't speak to me when I'm diving with friends who have GUE stickers on their vans, yet are friendly otherwise.

Show up with Texas plates and a PADI Master Scuba Diver sticker on your back window and NO ONE talks to you. :lookaround:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom