My venture into Sidemount.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First thing I learned today is how to figure out which tank went on which side -- this had not been an issue before, because I have two left-handed tanks. Out in the water, something was wrong, and I had the tanks on the wrong side. One nice thing with two long hoses, is I could just swap them. One bad thing about them being on different sides, is I had them stowed / pulled out differently. So, reference the previous video, I was making spaghetti of myself! :laughing: Obviously, something as small as how one stows one's hoses cannot be taken for granted.

We went through many valve drills, and I spent any spare minutes clipping and unclipping the right regulator to develop muscle memory of the ring's location. Interestingly, with the weight pouches on the back, the shoulder straps seem to be slightly lifted (higher up on my chest), so I keep missing the top D-ring. Maybe it's the weight pulling the straps up? :hm:

Speaking of top D-ring, I swapped it out for a welded fixed D-ring. That helps a great deal in snapping to the D-ring. I recommyend you try it, if you haven't. Thanks, Rob! :D

I worked on my frog kick some more . . . it seems a wee bit better. I did several circuits around the basin, and was astonished to find both an upwelling of warm water, and a stream of cold that seemed to come above and 'fall' into the basin. It didn't take long for me to avoid that particular area.

Rob also took me on a short tour of the cavern -- the white of the limestone was in stark relief to the dark pieces of wood and such that was captured in the flurries of the flow. The flow has sculpted the soft limestone over the years into fantastical shapes while chipping off tiny pieces of limestone that flutters up into the basin. :daydreaming: Rob showed me where the flow came in -- Huge pressure, like a 2ft pipe of an artesian well, if anyone has been by one. It's so sad that the sheriff blew the passage some years back because divers died in the cave. We really cannot make the world safe by destroying that which is different or requires specialized training and equipment.

All in all, a wonderful day of being 'tweaked' by a pro . . . What a splendid experience! :clapping:

-- the white of the limestone was in stark relief to the dark pieces of wood and such that was captured in the flurries of the flow. The flow has sculpted the soft limestone over the years into fantastical shapes while chipping off tiny pieces of limestone that flutters up into the basin. :daydreaming: ...
That is a very nice and poetic description, Jax! I really feel like a slob-tard now, because I usually come up with something like, " f*****g cool ", when trying to describe it. Thank you for sharing your training with us. :cheerleader:

Interestingly, with the weight pouches on the back, the shoulder straps seem to be slightly lifted (higher up on my chest), so I keep missing the top D-ring. Maybe it's the weight pulling the straps up? :hm:

I think you may have just place the d-rings in the wrong location. Maybe you should redo the straps...again... :wink:

Ducking and running!

I worked on my frog kick some more . . . it seems a wee bit better. I did several circuits around the basin, and was astonished to find both an upwelling of warm water, and a stream of cold that seemed to come above and 'fall' into the basin. It didn't take long for me to avoid that particular area.

For clarification, the rain we had a couple of days ago finally made its way south and the water level at Morrison has come up at least a foot from what it was yesterday. Easy to tell since the tables that were in the water today were about 15-20' from the water yesterday! The warm water was the flow coming from the cavern. The cold water was the water coming down the spring run from the river.

It was a great day of diving today. Jax improved quite a bit from yesterday to today. Trim and buoyancy were much better (she only had one uncontrolled ascent all the way to the surface... :wink: ). Her frog kick was immensely improved with no more rocking. And she got her hover back!! :D Looking forward to tomorrow's dives!

That is a very nice and poetic description, Jax! I really feel like a slob-tard now, because I usually come up with something like, " f*****g cool ", when trying to describe it. Thank you for sharing your training with us. :cheerleader:

Trust me, Jimi, it was "super f*****g cool" !!!!!!! :thumb:

I think you may have just place the d-rings in the wrong location. Maybe you should redo the straps...again... :wink:

Ducking and running!
:letsparty:

For clarification, the rain we had a couple of days ago finally made its way south and the water level at Morrison has come up at least a foot from what it was yesterday. Easy to tell since the tables that were in the water today were about 15-20' from the water yesterday! The warm water was the flow coming from the cavern. The cold water was the water coming down the spring run from the river.

It was a great day of diving today. Jax improved quite a bit from yesterday to today. Trim and buoyancy were much better (she only had one uncontrolled ascent all the way to the surface... :wink: ). Her frog kick was immensely improved with no more rocking. And she got her hover back!! :D Looking forward to tomorrow's dives!

Aww, you're so kind! :daydreaming:

Trust me, Jimi, it was "super f*****g cool" !!!!!!! :thumb:

For a free dive Morrison has cost me a lot of money!!! Thats how cool it is :D

Apparently, someone was toooooooooo tired tonight to post an update.:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

You should have heard the whining at the end of the day. Oh, and I quote, "There's not a part of me that doesn't hurt." :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

I give a brief report since I know Jax is leaving at 0 dark 30 to head back west and probably won't post a report until tomorrow night or the day after.

We headed to JB today. We had to hide under the pavilion for about an extra 20 minutes while the lightening passed over us before getting in the water. We finally got in, geared up, and started the dive. We spent about 15 minutes in the basin getting comfortable and doing some valve and OOA drills. Jax was looking good so I ran a line into the deco room and we spent another 20 minutes there continuing the drills. Jax was spot on. She knew what reg she was breathing from and performed the drills without an issue. Then....I had her do some bottle off drills... :eyebrow: I'll let her tell you about those. I think she'll be posting some video with her report. After those drills, I grabbed my reel and ran it back to the gold line and gave Jax a tour of the cavern. Of course, after I pointed out a fossil here and there and got her distracted, I threw another drill at her. She continued to do great.

We finished the dive over an hour after submerging and took a surface interval. During that time Jax swapped cylinders. She had been diving Worthington LP85s up to this point and I wanted to give her some exposure to different cylinders during our last dive. I put her in a set of Faber LP95s. After a quick adjustment of the bands to trim her out, we were off. We spent a few minutes in the basin before heading into the deco room where we spent about 30 minutes working on drills. The big lesson during this dive was to remember to turn on your valve after your do a valve drill. Because if you don't, you'll get to do a valve drill on the opposite side and when you switch regs you'll discover that reg isn't delivering any gas! :shocked2: Of course, I was ready to donate my reg, but I didn't need to. Jax was quick to realize her error and simply reached down and turned on the offending valve. :eyebrow: She was very calm and handled it well. The look on her face was priceless, though!!! :rofl3: At the end of this dive, I also had Jax try out a rear mounted stage cylinder just to get the feel for it. We then surfaced and quickly swapped out cylinders so she could experience a set of AL80s. I had brought them to the water before the dive so we wouldn't even have to get out of the water. One small adjustment and Jax was trimmed out great! She's ready for Mexico now!! It was not only a great day, in spite of the weather, but a great 3 days of diving with Jax! I'm glad she chose me as an instructor and was finally able to get her schedule coordinated to come to North Florida. Now we just have to get her back for a cavern class!!

Jax, congratulations with your successful class. Your enthusiasm for the sport is very refreshing. :thumb:

Congratulations, Jax! Hope you have a safe drive back west.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom