My venture into Sidemount.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What do you do if your long hose is clipped off? Not very quick in offering it if you have to unclip first.
That's why I have two long hoses and have both regs side by side in a double necklace. Either reg pops free with a firm pull. Either hose deploys easily as well.

I guess I never thought about it in that aspect. But now that I think of it, having it bungied around my neck sounds like a better and quicker way to deploy it if necessary.
Careful, that's also a really good way to get the backup and primary regs tangled up, making neither quickly accessible when needed.

Careful, that's also a really good way to get the backup and primary regs tangled up, making neither quickly accessible when needed.
:gans:​

This has streamlined my sharing air, since neither hose goes around my neck to get tangled. The left stays on the left and the right on the right.

My aim is to make either tank completely self sufficient. Long hose, primary light, gap reel and two spools.

Pete I have several hundred dives with hoses around my neck, never had one get tangled.

Pete I have several hundred dives with hoses around my neck, never had one get tangled.
Good. I like the feeling of not having hoses around my neck. Do you dive with 2 seven foot hoses?

What do you do if your long hose is clipped off? Not very quick in offering it if you have to unclip first.

Do NOT use cave line to secure the bolt snap to the 2nd stage. I secure the snap with a zip tie. A quick twist and the zip tie is broken. You can also use a cylinder neck o-ring.

My last trimix student went through about 1/2 dozen zip ties during the course. LOL!

Good. I like the feeling of not having hoses around my neck. Do you dive with 2 seven foot hoses?

No, there is no need for it. I like my stuff simple, but its only used in caves too.

Do NOT use cave line to secure the bolt snap to the 2nd stage. I secure the snap with a zip tie. A quick twist and the zip tie is broken. You can also use a cylinder neck o-ring.

My last trimix student went through about 1/2 dozen zip ties during the course. LOL!

Funny you should say that . . . . I use zip ties, and lost two clips my last dive. :(

Time to throw away all my zip ties and get new ones. Darned AZ heat deteriorates plastic something awful.

I use cave line to secure my 2nd stages...using zip ties might be a good idea, if people you dive with go instantaneously out of air on a regular basis. I'll probably switch mine to zipties in the future just in case, but it hasn't been an issue so far. My plan anyways would be to donate what is in my mouth, because I know it works.

I do not like Netdoc's idea of making each tank "self sufficient" with gear clipped off on it. That to me introduces a lot of entanglement points. Then again, I'm regularly using my sidemount gear because the cave requires it, so this might not be a problem for people who stick to backmount cave in their sidemount gear.

I only use long hoses. It's the only way to ensure you can safely donate from either tank, and the hose routing feels so much better than crossing hoses around my neck.

:lookaround:

Shhhhh . . . . I'm going diving. Don't say anything out loud, 'cause the Scuba gods have stymied every other trip so far. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom