my SUUNTO ZOOP logged dives deeper than actually dove.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the computer shows the same depth as DM5 after downloading, then I agree it is most likely a pressure sensor.

HOWEVER...

If the computer show the correct depth and the DM5 shows a different depth, it very well could be the DM5 software. DM5 has severe problems abd most of us using Suuntos have completely abandoned it. If your Zoop does in fact shiwbthebcorrect depths, download Subsurface (it's free) and try downloading the dives into it. If Subsurface shows the same readings as the Zoop, then DM5 is most likely your problem.

so, Subsurface is forcing me to add other people and only after they download and login do I get the ability to import dives from my computer. I won't do that. any other suggestions for free software that imports your dives?

I only recently downloaded the DM5 and the additional driver for it for my MAC so Im hoping this is the issue. I will try SubSurface. Thank you.
Oh, you're on a Mac. Some people have had issues with Subsurface running on Macs but hopefully you'll be one of the people that don't. Good luck and I hope it solves your issues.

so, Subsurface is forcing me to add other people and only after they download and login do I get the ability to import dives from my computer. I won't do that. any other suggestions for free software that imports your dives?
I've not heard if that issue before so don't know what it is it is asking you to do. There is a program for Macs I think that's called Mac Dive but it is not free. A lot of Mac users swear but it, though.

As long as the dive log on your Zoop is showing the correct depths, your Zoop is fine. This is a common problem with the current version of DM5 and Zoops. I dive with both a Zoop and a Vyper Air. All my Vyper's dives sync just fine, but any time I do more than one day of diving in a row, the second dive each day, starting on the second day, uploads from the Zoop at something around 180 feet. There are a couple of threads about this in the Suunto forum, but nobody has found an answer yet. Suunto doesn't seem too interested in fixing the glitch, either.

It's frustrating, but as long as you aren't seeing the issue in the dive computer, and only in DM5, your Zoop is safe to dive and not affected by the recall.

In the news today is an article about the defective Suunto computers. All are covered by the settlement. Send it back to aqualung for free inspection and replacement if defective. Also if anyone got rid of their computer there is a provision for compensation if you have the proof of purchase info.

Do you have your Zoop in Nitrox mode?

I just found this on Reddit:

I have the same problem. I centered the problem down to a firmware issue in my 2 year old zoop computer. First I'm using the zoop in imperial not metric mode. When I'm in air mode, between dives on the boat, I could check surface interval as many times as I wanted regardless of the depth I was using it at. I'd download the dives into DM5 and the profiles would be correct. When I'm in nitrox mode, and do anything to any of the buttons, like checking surface interval, when I downloaded into DM5, I'd get really deep dive profiles. To solve the problem, I bought a cheap watch that was good to 100' or so and use it as a stopwatch timer. When I set the zoop to nitrox all I do is look at the screen and leave the buttons alone until after 24 hours have passed. If you do the math, you went to 55 ft but when you down loaded into DM5, the zoop thought you were at 55 meters and converted it to 180ish feet (55 meters = 180.44 ft). In nitrox mode, my zoop would dive correctly and be fairly accurate, and the memory profiles would be correct but when downloading into DM5 the zoop thought it was in meters-feet and then convert to feet-meters or something. I haven't sent the zoop to suunto because I don't want to loose the dive memory. I also use Diving Log 6.0 software to download dive profiles. Its crazy, I'll download into DM5 and have deep profiles, then download into Diving Log 6.0 and the profiles are correct every time.
The first time I saw this problem was last June, just after I did my Nitrox class. I had my computers in nitrox mode for the entire week, even though I was on air the first two days, and just changed my O2% to match. My numbers don't seem to match up to a meter to feet conversion exactly between the two computers, but it's pretty close. One thing that's weird about the Zoop is that once you do a a nitrox dive, you can't get back into air mode until your no fly time clears, and despite doing about a dozen dives on air over the summer, I kept forgetting to change it back to air (I had it set to EAN21), so I don't know if that would fix the problem.

Do you have your Zoop in Nitrox mode?
[...] and the memory profiles would be correct but when downloading into DM5 the zoop thought it was in meters-feet and then convert to feet-meters or something.
I have a pdf saved somewhere that shows a dive where I went to 250+ ft on EAN33 for 40mins. Had a good laugh, but realized there were a couple other weird ones that were too deep. Been meaning to look up the issue. It's been going on for about two years now... and that syncs with the timeframe I would have switched my Zoop to Nitrox and just left it there. The Zoop still gives me accurate info during a dive, but when I check it in DM5 something goes wrong - and the imperial-to-metric mix-up he described seems spot on.

I'll check the memory on my computer to see what's up. I remember I copied some dive data into a logbook (none of which seemed suspicious), and at least one of those dives was corrupted later on. The computer is accurate while underwater, so I'm not so sure it's a pressure sensor issue. Unfortunately, I won't be near my Zoop for about a week, so...

Unfortunately, I won't be near my Zoop for about a week, so...

I'm hoping to take mine out for a couple of days at the end of next week if the Pacific coast storm surge dies down a bit. I'll be diving air both days, and I finally got my Zoop back in Air mode, so I'll find out if this problem goes away when I get back home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom