My pet peeve with dive instruction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think SSI has a monopoly on bad video examples. I've seen other agency videos that are just as bad or worse! :11:

Having been involved in industrial video shoots, the unfortunate majority of them are "point the camera at Joe while he....".

This is substantially different than a viable film on "how to" do something.

I often use images from Scuba Diver Magazine in my stand-up talks. My favorite is one that shows "Don't Touch!" while the SPG is doing a dredge routine trailing behind.

It's all Hollywood.

The only proper way to watch a PADI video is after 3-4 good stiff drinks. Then they are funny! If you sober, they are so stupid as to be painful and pretty much worthless.

There are good little tid bits on them though. Hard to find, but they are there. Of course, I never paid more than $5 bucks for one... it is just hard to listen to the stupid music, and the darn marketing.

I agree with securing gauges but it is personal preference where to put knife and backup second stage some people don't want it on a necklace since if another diver needs it you can pass it to them and if on a necklace you would have to share your primary.
There's a good chance a distressed diver steals your primary anyways, so it's taught frequently to donate from the primary, at least that's what I was taught. Now if I'm diving and my backup 2nd is longer, what I'll do, is let the situation become calm, and then give the distressed diver my backup, and get my primary back so it's easier to ascend.

my back up is an integrated inflator. besides like ucf said when someone needs air it's not gonna be the calm thing like in the pool. your primary is gonna just disappear.
but if you sit and watch you could probably pick any training video apart.

If I wear a necklace it's a big gold link one like Mr T.

I 2nd the integrated in-flator, love knowing where it is no mater what.
Am re-thinking the 40" hose on my primary after taking rescue, just not sure I want 7' of hose raped around my neck

Errors in dive videos give instructors an opportunity to teach. My SSI instructor always pointed out the errors in the the photos as a game, "can anyone tell me what is wrong or in bad form here?"

I agree with you on the dangling stuff, but the rest, who cares?

The placement of your backup is totally personal preference. As long as it isn't bouncing off the reef and is secured to your body in a place where you can easily access it and quickly donate it to another diver, I don't care where you're putting it. Well, I should qualify that. If there's a chance it may go into my mouth, there are a few places I hope you don't put it, but you get my point.

The necklace thing makes some sense, though it isn't as founded in fact as some would lead you to believe. If there was 100%, undesputable evidence that the one and only best place to put a backup is on a necklace, I'm sure it would be a standard for all the agencies. Especially since that's one more piece of gear they could sell you.

Fact is, there isn't proof that's the best place for it. You'll hear talk of studies about how people will rip a reg out of your mouth. You'll also hear of studies that show that people will go for a brightly colored object mounted in the chest area. Then there's the "they'll do what they're trained to do" crowd. The truth is, no one really knows, so the best bet is to do what's comfortable for you and make sure your buddy knows what's going to happen if he needs your help. Of course that also doesn't mean that things aren't going to turn into a cluster (you know what) if someone is out of air, so you deal with that situation as best you can.

Now I'm sure 27 people are going to jump in and say "one time, when I was diving, this guy was out of air, and he grabbed my primary, and I was like, 'whoa, that not cool' but he did it anyway, and I had to use my secondary" but like I said, there's no definitive proof that an out of air diver is going to do one thing or another.

As for the knife, again, who cares? Is it affecting your dive if some other guy has a broadsword strapped to his leg? There is a school of thought that says you can use a big knife like a little knife but you can't use a little knife like a big knife. Now, I've never needed a big knife while diving, but some people may feel as though there is the chance they'll need to knife-fight some creature lurking in the murky abyss. So if having that big knife makes them feel better, they just think it looks cool or if they do have a legitimate reason for needing it, I'm not going to be bothered by it in the least.

I 2nd the integrated in-flator, love knowing where it is no mater what.
Am re-thinking the 40" hose on my primary after taking rescue, just not sure I want 7' of hose raped around my neck

5 feet is a good compromise for many. The 7 feet facilitates single file diving such as in a cave. In OW 5 feet will meet the objectives. Besides if someone is tethered to my 1st stage I want them on a short enough lead.

BTW, I'm not a long hose user.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom