My pet peeve with dive instruction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If there was 100%, undesputable evidence that the one and only best place to put a backup is on a necklace, I'm sure it would be a standard for all the agencies.

Why would you be sure of that? Agencies build courses that protect them from liability and that is their primary purpose. You don't really think they are trying to train divers to do what is best, do you?

CESA and ascent rates should be a fairly easy call as to what is best, but where is the agency consensus on those topics?

Sloppy instructional videos or professional bug me, too.

Errors in dive videos give instructors an opportunity to teach. My SSI instructor always pointed out the errors in the the photos as a game, "can anyone tell me what is wrong or in bad form here?"

Oh, I get it... Bad forms on training videos were placed there on purpose !!! What a novel idea. :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Why would you be sure of that? Agencies build courses that protect them from liability and that is their primary purpose. You don't really think they are trying to train divers to do what is best, do you?

CESA and ascent rates should be a fairly easy call as to what is best, but where is the agency consensus on those topics?

Sloppy instructional videos or professional bug me, too.

Because I'm not someone who spends every second of my day being bitter and thinking the agencies are giant, moronic corporations who don't care about divers.

Like I said, and you can try to prove me wrong if you'd like. There is no one way that is proven to be the best way when it comes to what to do with your backup, octo, secondary, whatever you want to call it.

Because I'm not someone who spends every second of my day being bitter and thinking the agencies are giant, moronic corporations who don't care about divers.

Like I said, and you can try to prove me wrong if you'd like. There is no one way that is proven to be the best way when it comes to what to do with your backup, octo, secondary, whatever you want to call it.

I think there might be some middle ground between being bitter and being naive.

I have no desire to prove you wrong, just wondering about your statement regarding agencies. Thanks for the reply, interesting criteria you have.

Rubber necklaces are sold for $5.00 at many dive shops - in black, yellow, blue and pink. They are releasable and can be passed off to a buddy or janked off your neck with a simple tug.

And can interfere if someone wears a pony backmount with a necklaced reg.

If you dont donate the primary there is nothing wrong with storing the octopus anywhere provided its easy to see and easy to get at.
The neck isnt always the best location depending on other kit used.

I think there might be some middle ground between being bitter and being naive.

I have no desire to prove you wrong, just wondering about your statement regarding agencies. Thanks for the reply, interesting criteria you have.

Its not naive to think that if I went to an agency and handed them the results of a study that showed them beyond a shadow of a doubt that the best place to put a backup when not in use is on a necklace they would adopt that policy. Its not like they've never changed their ways in the past. They're just not going to do it because someone somewhere said that one time a guy grabbed for is mouth.

this could quickly turn into another computer vs dive table/ weight belt vs integrated/ or my fave back inflatible vs jacket.
there's no unsurmountable undeniable evidence to prove either way. hell for all i'm concerned ten feet of duct tape and sha-zam it's the divers left hand. it's personal pref.

if someone likes it as a necklace, a dangly or an integrated inflator it's all them. but you guys could beat this horse into glue.

just my opinion,,i could be wrong.

Its not naive to think that if I went to an agency and handed them the results of a study that showed them beyond a shadow of a doubt that the best place to put a backup when not in use is on a necklace they would adopt that policy. It

No? Why does the SSI OW manual still say that air has a different mass when contained in an AL cylinder than it does in steel? This misinformation has been in print for over 5 years.

Why does PADI still use 60fpm as max ascent rate? I'm pretty sure it's not because it is better than 30fpm for divers.

I agree with you on the dangling stuff, but the rest, who cares?
I care. I'm more considerate of others than to dive overweighted so that I kick up silt the entire dive and ruin it for anyone that comes after me. Being overweighted is one of the biggest issues with training today. The knife is a pet peeve, but I can at least understand why some divers carry larger ones....I don't agree with that line of thought, but as long as it's thought out, I'm not going to say either is right or wrong, it's a compromise IMO.

I 2nd the integrated in-flator, love knowing where it is no mater what.
Am re-thinking the 40" hose on my primary after taking rescue, just not sure I want 7' of hose raped around my neck
You can can stick it under your belt as well, I don't like it around my neck either.

I guess my point is this. If you can't explain EXACTLY why every piece of gear is placed where it is, or why you have it for that matter, you might want to rethink your diving strategy (or your instructor may have taught you well and it's in a good spot already). I'm not completely sold on the DIR style of diving saying that everyone should do it exactly alike, but I do believe that and HOG are great starting points.

You're probably right. I've almost every videos that PADI make, I am sure that I'd find troubling issues as well, just can't seem to remember a particular one right now.

I just hate the PADI music and all the marketing stuff they pack into every training video.

Watch their DSAT video. Tech diver with stage bottles and deco on his knees... :shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom