My personal fin shootout - X-stream, Slingshot and Seawing Nova

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoAnywherePhoto

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well, after about eight years of use, my Oceanic Vortex V12 fins finally broke. The stud molded into the side of the foot pocket to hold the strap sheared off. So after a quick-fix with zip ties to finish off the dives that day, I went to the dive shop to see what models they carry, knowing that I wouldn't be able to replace my Oceanics here.

After taking inventory of what models the shop here sells (I am a bit isolated right now so I was limited to their stock), I went back home and started doing research. Even though I was happy with my split fins, I figured I'd start from scratch and I could pick a similar model like the Mares Raptors or Tusa Zoom Z3s if I decided to stick with something similar to what I had before.

After the research, and reading a lot of reviews, I narrowed my choices to the Mares X-stream, Aqua-lung Slingshots and ScubaPro Seawing Novas. They let me take a set of each from their rental rack and go test them out. I stopped by my room, threw on some trunks and headed for the beach.

I started out with the X-Streams which were super light, comfortable and great to get on/off with the awesome Mares straps. They kicked fine on the surface and almost felt like nothing was there after my old heavy neoprene fins. Underwater, they were fast, maneuverable and natural. I was able to follow a small flounder and keep up quite well. They felt a bit soft and mushy even though they performed well.

Next up was the pair of Slingshots, I got in, got them fitted, took them off and put them back on. (I did this with all three to fairly judge donning and doffing once they were fitted.) Right off the bat, they felt like they had a little more zip to them than the X-Streams even on the lightest band setting although I don't know that they were any faster than the Mares or not as I had no way to judge that, they did feel more powerful overall. Next I tried switching from setting #1 to #2 and #3, it was easy to do even in the water. By number three, I could really feel the resistance although I did not feel any "snapping" as some have reported. Overall, I liked the feel of these fins better than the Mares, but after working hard to put two sets of fins through their paces both on the surface and underwater in about a half an hour, I was beginning to tire and the heavier settings on the Slingshots had my ankles feeling it(old injury on one ankle especially.)

Third up were the Novas, even with tired legs, these fins felt better from beginning to end, easy on, easy off, light and very natural feeling although not as natural feeling as the Mares. I actually started to catch my breath a bit more after a few minutes in these fins. I did notice that although not bad with small kicks, these fins really seem to benefit from longer kicks. They were also light in the water which I'm hoping will help with my trim when I'm diving (my legs always seem to want to be just a little below my waist.) Not long into the test, I decided that these were the fins for me at this point and just enjoyed a few more minutes playing around.

I thought I'd share my personal, non-scientific opinions with the board here for others who may be looking for information on these fins. A lot has been written about the Novas, some about the slingshots, but I didn't see much about the X-Streams let alone how any compare to each other aside from Scuba Lab.

Hope this is of use to someone.

I've been diving with the novas for little over a year. Except for the occasional 'squid fin' comment from other, not so enlightened divers,I wouldn't have any other fin....LOL

I long since settled down with Mares fins, not the modern ones like the X-Stream, supposedly with all sorts of gongs and bells, but the very basic Quattro (with four flex slots), and the versions with three and two (don't know their names). My favourite is the two slot one, followed by the three slot. As well as providing all the propulsion I could possibly want (except when I'm trying to keep up with dolphins, when I use freedive fins), I find them soft enough to use gently if that's what I want to do, and the footbed unbelievably soft and comfortable. I've used lots of others - I own a dive shop - but for me nothing else comes close (except possibly the Cressi Frogs). And they're CHEAP - my last pair cost (retail - I don't stock them in my shop) just $40. And extremely durable - I'm still using a pair of the two-slot version that I bought about 15 years ago.

Mind you, I've never even seen the Novas. I've just looked at them on the Scubapro website and I'm not sure whether I've ever seen anyone using them. I presume they're a recent introduction because I used to be the principal Scubapro dealer for my country and I don't recall ever seeing them. Only one comment - the footbed looks as it it's made of plastic. Is that right? One of the attractions to me of the Mares is that the footbed is soft rubber. How much did they cost?

I find your comment about the Novas liking a long, slow kick interesting, because that's what I felt about them as well. They were fine with the kick I normally do, but really "kicked" into gear when I changed my rhythm.

They're very strange to frog kick with.

Peter - Yes, the whole fin and foot pocket are "monoprene" It seems to be harder than neoprene and rubber, but still softer than hard plastic. The foot pockets are actually really comfortable.

Well, the shop here is good to me and gave me 25% off for a grand total of about $140.

TSandM - After looking at some of the ScubaPro literature and watching my kicks yesterday, I think this is because it takes part of the kick to flex the blade back to the optimal 45 degree angle where it really begins to provide thrust. So, I'm guessing on short kicks you're getting more flex and less propulsion, but the longer the kick, the more propulsion after the point where it flexes.

That's around $100 more than I'm prepared to pay for fins! But I hope they work for you.

So who is selling the SP Novas' in white? Seems all the European shops have them in spades...Not so much in the US.

TIA,

--D

That's around $100 more than I'm prepared to pay for fins! But I hope they work for you.

So then I guess Force fins are out of the question? :wink:

I know there is less expensive stuff out there, but these suited me and I've been happy with them in the six dives I've done in them so far. We'll see if they are a good buy in the long run though.

I'd have been happier if I could just find someone else with a spare Vortex V12 - size Regular. :idk: If I can fix the broken one up enough just to at least have a spare set of fins around, that will be nice too.

You're right about the Force fins, but actually not for that reason. I did try a pair some years ago and didn't like them much, so didn't feel motivated to buy them. To be honest, I've dived with very many different makes and types of fins and I've never found anything better than my Mares. Somebody on the boat today was raving about her new Predators. They certainly looked unusual, but i found I was able to keep with her with minimal effort. Again, I don't see the point.

iv tried the x-streams and own them , they are quiet great to use , i find kickin them slow still gets me to where i want to go but i tend to forget that my dive buddy is still trailin behind to keep up . I must say they are very bouyent these fins. But u get use to it very fast.
Well good luck to the OP on choosin the best fins out there. I know i did with these Mares X-streams

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom