My personal fin shootout - X-stream, Slingshot and Seawing Nova

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got the slingshots for Christmas, I'll tell you how they do.
A question: Does the rubber or composite (whatever fins are made of) wear out over time or become weakened?

So the general consensus is??? What are the best fins ? Mares X-stream, Scuba Pro Nova's or the Slingshot? I am a diver who has the Mares Raptor Split Fin and want to get a fin that is better for Frog Kicks but also want performance doing the traditional scissor kick...The X-stream are selling for about $200 CDN here and still not sure if thats a great price or just comparable...When looking on Ebay they are selling for less but when you add in shipping they are about the same...Any thoughts

IMO $200 CDN is a ludicrous amount of money to spend on fins.

So the general consensus is??? What are the best fins ? Mares X-stream, Scuba Pro Nova's or the Slingshot? I am a diver who has the Mares Raptor Split Fin and want to get a fin that is better for Frog Kicks but also want performance doing the traditional scissor kick...The X-stream are selling for about $200 CDN here and still not sure if thats a great price or just comparable...When looking on Ebay they are selling for less but when you add in shipping they are about the same...Any thoughts

Not to sound mean, but did you just ask for a consensus on a piece of gear here? :rofl3:

Well, for me, the Novas felt the best, for you that may be different. The X-Streams were very nice and the most conventional design of the three so that might be the thing for you as far as different kicks, but that is up to you. I was just sharing my personal expierience and what I thought of the three after I got to try them side by side.

I think that if the X-Streams are in your price range and suit your other needs, you will be pleased with how they feel and work.

Hope this is helpful to you.

IMO $200 CDN is a ludicrous amount of money to spend on fins.

I think you have made your point that you already have fins that you like and that you do not agree with the prices of other new fins.

Next time you offer to buy someone here a new pair of fins I hope they will take that into consideration. Until then, I don't think your comments about the retail prices of the fins discussed above (which are all relatively close in price) really adds to the purpose of this thread.

Perhaps a new thread here would be a more appropriate place for your discussion of gear prices.

Too many people are prepared to pay silly amounts for gadgets they don't need that won't help them in their diving. A lot of this stuff has questionable design and appears to be marketed with the sole objective of persuading people they must have this newest contribution to the available pool of diving equipment. I'm not just speaking for myself, but for the countless divers I see daily who have paid large sums for things they realise only too late were a complete waste of money.

But if people want to pay large amounts for unnecessary gear then of course they may do so.

Too many people are prepared to pay silly amounts for gadgets they don't need that won't help them in their diving. A lot of this stuff has questionable design and appears to be marketed with the sole objective of persuading people they must have this newest contribution to the available pool of diving equipment. I'm not just speaking for myself, but for the countless divers I see daily who have paid large sums for things they realise only too late were a complete waste of money.

But if people want to pay large amounts for unnecessary gear then of course they may do so.

That's great and you are entitled to your opinion, but again it doesn't have any part in the original topic.

Not to sound mean, but did you just ask for a consensus on a piece of gear here? :rofl3:

Well, for me, the Novas felt the best, for you that may be different. The X-Streams were very nice and the most conventional design of the three so that might be the thing for you as far as different kicks, but that is up to you. I was just sharing my personal expierience and what I thought of the three after I got to try them side by side.

I think that if the X-Streams are in your price range and suit your other needs, you will be pleased with how they feel and work.

Hope this is helpful to you.
I did not as for a consensus on price but what gave the best value for money.

I picked up a pair of the SP Seawing Novas tonight. People seem to really like them, plus they're lighter and shorter than my Mares Avanti Quattros. I initially wanted to get the newer style buckles for the Mares, but ended up with the Seawings. Only concern for me is the foot pocket. I actually have very narrow feet, but with my 5mm Deep See Manta booties, it feels a bit tight coming down onto the top of my feet, along the bone coming back from the big toe. Anyone else find this? Only difference I can see is that the foot pocket material is a little softer on the Mares than the Seawings. Not sure if it's just something to get used to.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom