My Options: ScubaPro vs Atomic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redt1de

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been snooping the board for a few months and we are nearing the purchase of two new reg set ups so I figured I would ask for the opinions of the community here...one is for me and one is for the wife.

We are expecting to dive 6 - 10 yearly off Southern NJ in 60 - 70 degrees at moderate depth 50 - 80 feet. The majority of the dives 20 - 30 per year will be warm water locations to a maximum of 100 - 120 feet. We are about 30 dives in and so far have always rented which were always AquaLung Titans of various models, ages, etc. but we are looking for something a bit more robust and want to own our own set up.

I have several LDSs available and can get service for both ScubaPro and Atomic locally. So far, I have heard great things on both brands and models. We did a bit of pricing from both companies/both shops and we can get a MK25/S600/R195 and Z2X Swivel Sealed/Z2 Octo for within $80 of one another. We are indifferent on the $80 difference considering this is a long-term purchase.

We plan on visiting both shops over the next few weeks to see if we can demo, but due to where we live, a demo seems less than likely. Also at this point, I'm not comfortable self-servicing but both shops are reputable. So what are every one's experiences and thoughts. What would you buy? Thanks!

Apart from the poor quality purge covers it would be difficult to get any more robust than the Titan.

The Atomics have similar type of covers and my experience is that most brands using these soft covers is that they just don't hold up long term down here in Florida. They do do better when stored inside though.
I have had Atomic covers crack and the colored inserts of the adjuster knob crumble away after about 5 years.

As for performance, both brands have a very good reputation.

Last edited:
You will likely not be able to tell the difference breathing of either both are great regs, buy the one you like the look of the most. In those temps you won't need to seal the Z2. Travel diving you are more likely to find ScubaPro service centers than Atomic.

---------- Post added June 11th, 2013 at 08:58 PM ----------

Customer service at Atomic is top notch so imagine they would replace cover etc should it fail. Take good care of your regs, proper rinsing etc and this may not happen.

Doesn't the atomic have a much longer period between required service? That alone would be a huge factor... maintenance costs down the road.. ANY decent regulator is going to perform fine for that kind of diving. I use 25-30 yr old scuba pro regs myself..

Scubapro has the customer service of a large company; Atomic has a (well-deserved, in my experience) reputation for excellent customer service that's as easy as calling them up and speaking directly with someone who works at their main facility. Until recently, Atomic had the longer recommended service interval (2 years), but now I think Scubapro has also decided its regs can go 2 years without service -- however, they didn't make any improvements to support this change. Which means they'd been bilking their customers for unnecessary annual service for decades.

Buy whatever reg you want, when they work they'll probably be equally good for what you're doing. When/if something goes wrong, Atomic has the better warranty and support reputation.

If you go with Atomic beware you need to be careful when rinsing if not pressurized. Due to the seat saving design water can travel up the hose into the first stage if not hooked up to a tank. Personal preference, of the two I'd pick Atomic.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the quick responses. I am leaning more Atomic at this point. I like the standardization of design across the lines and the better customer service.

One question regarding rinsing while pressurized. We plan on diving resorts a lot where the crew cleans and stores gear at the end of the day. How do you guys handle the process with the crew to ensure they know they need to pressurize before dunking? Or do you manage cleaning the reg yourself?

The quick answer to that is do it yourself.
Resort crew will not reliably do this for you.....best you should hope for is that they rinse the regs in the tank before they rinse the wetsuits.

As I just don't like ScubaPro for a number of reasons, I'd go with the Atomic. A few years ago, I know they were using Monel internal parts which is harder than steel and very resistant to corrosion, fire and pure O2, it is non-magnetic and are used in the construction of many high-end military and commercial underwater applications.

Last edited:
You will likely not be able to tell the difference breathing of either both are great regs, buy the one you like the look of the most. In those temps you won't need to seal the Z2. Travel diving you are more likely to find ScubaPro service centers than Atomic.

---------- Post added June 11th, 2013 at 08:58 PM ----------

Customer service at Atomic is top notch so imagine they would replace cover etc should it fail. Take good care of your regs, proper rinsing etc and this may not happen.

What would be the temp where we should start considered a sealed first stage? I have heard that sealed is also helpful to keep sand particles out if doing some shore diving, etc. Would you consider this marketing spin or an actual benefit?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom