My Options: ScubaPro vs Atomic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am partial to Atomic as well, for 2nd stage design, compactness of 1st stage, 2 year service interval, no bullsh!t warranty, and you can always call and speak to Darcy for any questions or issues.

I know I may never feel the difference between Mk25/S600 and Atomic, but I wonder if there is any measurable differences in terms of which has better design, which is more robust.

Since the same engineering team designed both regulators (at least the first stage), I'd say likely not...

Wow, excellent feedback - thanks to every one. Any thoughts on the swivel feature (the Z2 vs the Z2x). Is it worth the extra $100? Any additional maintenance issues experienced due to the fact there is additional moving parts?

I like the 2nd stage swivel, it makes holding the reg in my mouth effortless. IIRC that's the $100 Z2 vs. Z2X difference since they sell the hose with swivel for that.

I also have the 1st stage swivel on one of my regs - it's nice but once you attach the BC hose, it's fixed so not of as much value. It came with it so I use it. My other Atomic reg (B1) didn't have either swivel and I honestly never noticed. Both cost me the same for service. Neither has been any problem.

Last edited:
I swear by my Atomic M1's!! I am a dealer for both and the M1 is the best reg (performance, reliability) that I have ever owned over the years. Service is every 2yrs/300 dives which ever comes 1st. IMO the Z2 is dollar value for a regulator on the market today.

if you go with a all new I would personally go with MK11/A700, MK11 is a diaphragm reg and is sealed, and it is also much cheaper but not worse than MK25, that money I would put towards A700 major advantage of which will be a metal case which virtually eliminates dry mouth. It will also be much more durable. After diving all metal regs for the whole last year I cannot dive the plastics any more nomatter how much hype they get on SB :)

used and old reg there are much cheaper options including conshelves, SP109/156 etc.

if you go with a all new I would personally go with MK11/A700, MK11 is a diaphragm reg and is sealed, and it is also much cheaper but not worse than MK25, that money I would put towards A700 major advantage of which will be a metal case which virtually eliminates dry mouth. It will also be much more durable. After diving all metal regs for the whole last year I cannot dive the plastics any more nomatter how much hype they get on SB :)

used and old reg there are much cheaper options including conshelves, SP109/156 etc.

The MK-11 is not sealed the MK-17 is. Personally I think the SP cold water package is the G260/MK17. The OP should be able to save a few dollars over a S600/MK25.

@Redtide: if you plan to dive with the standard factory-length hose, the swivel is not a bad idea. Reduces jaw fatigue and sideways-pulling of your reg noticeably. The Atomic swivel is, arguably, one of the best swivel designs too.
I prefer a 5' primary hose with a 90^ swivel, so I moved my Atomic swivel hose to my occy (as much to save $30 for the jam nut as anything). It's not enough to compensate for under-the-arm routing a short occy hose (there is still a bit of pull), but better than nothing.

There are some brands you never hear "I wish I'd bought...instead" about. Atomic regs might be one of these (ignoring the odd issue with Cobalts here)...love my ST1! :)

Dave.

@Redtide: if you plan to dive with the standard factory-length hose, the swivel is not a bad idea. Reduces jaw fatigue and sideways-pulling of your reg noticeably. The Atomic swivel is, arguably, one of the best swivel designs too.
I prefer a 5' primary hose with a 90^ swivel, so I moved my Atomic swivel hose to my occy (as much to save $30 for the jam nut as anything). It's not enough to compensate for under-the-arm routing a short occy hose (there is still a bit of pull), but better than nothing.

There are some brands you never hear "I wish I'd bought...instead" about. Atomic regs might be one of these (ignoring the odd issue with Cobalts here)...love my ST1! :)

Dave.

im having a hard time visualising how a 5' hose routed common way would sit using a 90 degree adaptor? Assuming the hose comes around the back of your head it would seem to me that that would sit kinda funny, no?

All diaphragm regs are sealed, except the main spring . The spring (enviro seal) as in MK17 in my experience does not make difference in cold water as the orifice where the major cooling occurs is pretty far from the spring and the LP chamber in that area is isolated by diaphragm and does not transfer cold that easily. I regulary dive a zeagle and my friend dive apeks without the dry chamber seal we yet see an issue in cold water (mid 30)
it makes a difference when you dive with sub zero surface temps though or in really crappy water. the latter as I understand is not an issue for the OP.

The A700 will have an edge in both (remedying dry mouth and cold water) over the other regs mentioned due to all metal case.
the money saved with buying MK11 over 17 are better spend for A700. And if the LDS would service older regs like 156 that would be even a cheaper alternative with no sacrifice in the performance.

The MK-11 is not sealed the MK-17 is. Personally I think the SP cold water package is the G260/MK17. The OP should be able to save a few dollars over a S600/MK25.

Wow, excellent feedback - thanks to every one. Any thoughts on the swivel feature (the Z2 vs the Z2x). Is it worth the extra $100? Any additional maintenance issues experienced due to the fact there is additional moving parts?

The Z2X has a swivel on the LP hose going to the second stage which many like, we have them on our hoses cause we got some deals on some longer (5' and 7') versions. I find that that swivel pivots to the maximum angle and stays there. Many prefer the MilFex hoses instead.

There is also a swivel on the first stage ie. the B2 first stage which is helpful for hose routing. While not commonly done it is possible for a dealer to order a Z2 second stage matched with a B2 first stage. That is what we did and later added the longer second stage hose we wanted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom