My new Hyperstretch is better than my custom!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mossym, you will want to keep that vest. My wife and I both have similar wetsuits and vests that you have (we have the 7 mil hyperstretch wetsuit and a 3/5 hyperstretch hooded vest) and dive moneterey frequently. The wetsuit itself will not keep you warm enough. We usually do 2 or 3 dives per day and i can handle depths of about 110 in that gear for up to 50 minutes. The mrs can't go much below 75 ft in monterey for long periods and thus she is getting a dry suit.

lee3:
mossym, you will want to keep that vest. My wife and I both have similar wetsuits and vests that you have (we have the 7 mil hyperstretch wetsuit and a 3/5 hyperstretch hooded vest) and dive moneterey frequently. The wetsuit itself will not keep you warm enough. We usually do 2 or 3 dives per day and i can handle depths of about 110 in that gear for up to 50 minutes. The mrs can't go much below 75 ft in monterey for long periods and thus she is getting a dry suit.

thanks Lee, thats the way i'm leaning alright...just don't know anyone that has one of these suits to find out how warm they are..

I spent a lot of time in several dive shops looking at the Hyperstretch, Xcel Infinity, and Harvey's Kobalt, and getting opinions from the various owners. I ruled out the Harvey's because I couldn't get what I wanted in a one piece.

After trying on the Hyperstretch and Xcel, I preferred the Xcel. It's a little stiffer than the Hyperstretch but not really harder to get on because of the slippery lining. It's similar to Gold Core but Xcel calls it Titanium.

I liked the fit better too. The Hyperstretch 2XL was a bit snug while the 3XL had way too much material and it was easy to pinch it away from my body. It was just a little too loose. The Xcel fit snuggly without binding. I could easily do a valve adjustment, squats, and move easily in any direction. It was just as easy in the 7/6/5 as in the 4/3.

The Xcel also has a velcro friendly exterior, which is nice since I have the velcro held weight pockets on my Seaquest BC.

The Xcel material probably isn't quite as stretchy as the Henderson but it's stretchy enough. I also liked the ankle zippers on the Xcel that the Hyperstretch did not have.

I asked for prices on 2 suits; a 3mm and 7/5 Hyperstretch, and a 4/3 and 7/6/5 Infinity for the Xcel. The price difference was negligible, about $5, although I could have received free fly zippers on the Henderson from one dealer. This was a $42 per zipper option. I added a 6/4 Xcel hood and a pair of Harvey's 7mm gloves and paid just shy of $780, including tax, out the door.

I picked up the suits today and hope to get the 7/6/5 wet soon. The 4/3 will have to wait until February when I head to Tahiti (10 day cruise) followed by Hawaii (8 days on Maui for my son's wedding). February 11 - March 3 in the south Pacific. Don't you hate it when that happens.

You can take this for what it's worth since I'm a newbie. I've only been certified for about a year and these are my first wetsuits. But I'm very happy with my purchase.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom