My new Hyperstretch is better than my custom!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do agree that buying online is great in many circumstances, but won't recommend my LDS for you to just use them to try it on....

Perhaps you will consider buying from the LDS who helps you with the product decision? :)

(I have absolutely no affiliation with an LDS from a business standpoint other than as a customer...)

I say this, but please understand that I have bought from LP items ($1100 worth) that I researched online and that I didn't need sizing help.

But, I bought the Hyperstretch at the LDS....and have used it in their pool in full gear (ironically, after I had already used it in the ocean, since the pool event was my son doing confined water dives for his OW.).

If you get the right LDS, they will let you try it on in the pool before purchase....I think its worth it, and you can show your appreciate by buying there maybe....

Cheers,

Sean

chris3536 once bubbled...
I wish they had a 3/2 version of the Hyperstretch. I need to replace my custom 3/2mm Atlan Largo 2-Piece!

According to the book that came with my 2002 hyperstretch purchases, Henderson makes a 3mm jumpsuit.

stevetgreene once bubbled...
...does anyone know a LDS or retailer in the Santa Cruz/Monterey/ San Francisco area that carries Henderson suits ...
See post in NDI Northern California thread Santa Cruz/Bay area wetsuit retailers.

To echo scubasean's point, you might give the LDS a shot at the business...Diver Dan's advertised prices, for example, are only about $50 more than LP, depending on the suit you are looking for - plus you can take that suit home right away instead of having to wait a few days (suppress that drooling) AND ensure you have the right fit. :wink: [DISCLAIMER - I have no affiliation with any of the LDS mentioned]

What kind of prices are being offered by LDS? I would at least give them an opportunity to match. I went to one LDS near my home. The owner tossed me his new, for personal use Henderson Hyperstretch and said to try it on. He wasn't even a Henderson dealer and has since gone out of business so I didn't feel bad buying from LP later when I could afford the suit. I also bought a 7/5 that I have had in 40 deg. water. I bought a rack size even though I don't really fit rack sizes normally. This suit has so much give that not only is it extremely comfortable but also very warm as it doesn't move much water thru it.

yknot once bubbled...
What kind of prices are being offered by LDS? ...
For the one that quotes prices on its website, a 7/5 hyperstretch fullsuit is $320, a 7mm hyperstretch Combo is $420 and a 7mm Gold combo is $430. LP is $290/320/$405. For 2 out of 3 the LDS is reasonably competitive (IMO), particularly with the ability to try on for fit (they may also let you use their pool to check it out wet as well) before buying.

I purchased my suit from my LDS. I had the arms and legs altered from the factory, as well as the knee pad adjusted. I would suggest you negotiate with your LDS. I paid $470 for mine with alterations! You can get those from leasure pro. If you give your LDS a resonable offer where they can still make a few bucks they will take it! (If they don't.....it's their loss!) Don't be scared to talk price

Regarding where to shop in the Bay Area, I'm a devoted Diver Dans customer. While I am somewhat affiliated with them (DMC, and a regular customer) I can say that after running all over Monterey last weekend looking for gear, a shop like Dan's that offers just about every brand for gear comes in hand when trying to compare, or trying to find the right replacement gear. It took me hours in Monterey to find the mask I wanted, because each shop seems to carry 1 or 2 brands exclusively.
And Dan's isnt as cheap as LP or other internet places, its good, and the customer service is amazing (very knowledgeable, very friendly)

Liquid Fit has the very same material but has it in a wide assorment of colors. I love mine. I do try to keep my suit away from velcro.i

Got the 7/5 suit (pretty well frayed at this point, but still going strong. I kinda like the fact that it gets all sorts of velcro pilling... reminds me that I've been diving. Who the hell wants gear that always looks new?), got the 7mm no-zip boots, got the 5/3 hood.

To risk sounding closed-minded -- I won't even consider anything other than Hyperstretch when it comes time to replace them. Granted, I do look a bit like a Henderson ad half the time, but looking foolish is a small price to pay for quality.

I'm a newbie, having been certified less than one year. I own my own BC/Reg/Mask/snorkel/fins, that I bought from my LDS. Next is my wetsuit and I have been seriously considering the Hyperstretch.

I'm not sure what the difference is between the standard Hyperstretch and the Aqua Suede, but it appears to only be the exterior surface. For those of you that have one, I'd appreciate any comments on that.

I have talked with my LDS about the Hyperstretch and they highly recommend it. However, when I asked about the semi-dry, they told me I didn't want one of those. Any reason why not?

My LDS is $100+ more expensive than LP, so if I'm going to do business with them, I want to be armed with all the info I can get. I would be buying the 7/5 jumpsuit. This morning, LP lists a price of $290 and my LDS wants $435.

Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom