My new G250Vs and ramblings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Control is the operative word.

Sales gimmick or not, I think the adjustable vane is a useful feature. It does exactly as it is advertised.

Control is the operative word.

Sales gimmick or not, I think the adjustable vane is a useful feature. It does exactly as it is advertised.
I have found the feature more useful in the assist than in VFF control but it does help.

I have found the feature more useful in the assist than in VFF control but it does help.
I think it's worth pointing out for other readers that the Dive/PreDive vane must control freeflow. That is its primary function. When the case is designed to facilitate breathing (i.e., with a Venturi effect that reduces inhalation effort to near-zero under a workload - green curve above), you need a way to control that for beach entries or at significant depth where air density further increases Venturi effects.
If you cannot block freeflow with the vane when you bang on the purge button, there are three things to look at.
1) the reg is tuned too hot (cracks too low),
2) the mouthpiece is wrong, or
3) the first stage IP is too high.

#1 is discussed in the curves above.
Re: #2, it seems counterintuitive, but sometimes you don't want as big an opening as possible.
Here are two "Atomic style" mouthpieces.
IMG_20210109_115058.jpg

But only the left one is OEM.
IMG_20210109_115131.jpg

Atomic designed its mouthpiece in conjunction with its retractable vane to maximize flow while preventing freeflow. The mouthpiece on the right will be much more prone to freeflow with a hot-tuned octo on a giant stride.

Finally, in regs that are right on the edge, a higher input pressure from the first stage might be just enough to provide greater throughput promoting freeflow that can be prevented with a little re-tuning of the first stage.

I think it's worth pointing out for other readers that the Dive/PreDive vane must control freeflow. That is its primary function.

By control, do you mean prevent? At the risk of having to watch you do another "Superior Dance," I ask, are you sure about that? If one were to remove the flow vane, would the second stage VIVA freeflow?

By control, do you mean prevent?...Are you sure about that? If one were to remove the flow vane, would the second stage VIVA freeflow?
Fair enough, @couv. The two functions (adding Venturi and preventing freeflow) go hand in hand. If you pulled the vane, that "airflow focusing" function would disappear, and the reg might or might not freeflow (like a 156 case).
And of course, a vane at a blocking angle induces turbulence and thus helps prevent freeflow.
No dance. :wink: You always read the fine print, you bastard. :D
Just trying to say that my primary second vane is always on Dive, and my octo vane is on PreDive, unless I'm using it. And I don't crank in that adjustment thingy at all. But I think @lexvil was right. Case design got so much better that they had to put it in to be able to reliably control freeflow, and oops!, performance got even better! You'd have to ask someone even older than you or René Dupré.

Back
Top Bottom