My new G250Vs and ramblings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buddhasummer

Down under...
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Ok, so after building so many but keeping none for myself decided I'd attempt 2 more.

With prices skyrocketing and parts availability looking sketchy. Between my dealer and two others I managed to get all the parts to make two.

SP say the blue valve is NLA although my dealer has ordered some and says they will be blue, time will tell.

SP changed part number to a clear 11.261.103p as a replacement. I got three, I'm calling BS on SP, I measured them with a micrometer and they are identical in size to the G260 11.250.103, so looks like despite the different part number SP are now simply subbing G250V ones with G260 ones, which by the way are fractionally smaller than the original blue G250V ones.

Previous customers were advised, I used 3 G260 valves IIRC on the last batch of G250Vs I made as the G250V ones were NLA and SP "unofficially" said they would work. No one has complained of wet breathing so I assume even though fractionally smaller they do work, I'll find out for myself after I get mine in the water.

As also noted by @Geo7 I cannot initiate violent free flow with viva on max on either one, I know all the previous ones I made did coz it's one of the final tests I do. What's happened? I tried flipping the flow vane a la G250HP so crescent was facing back of diaphragm, same result, zero free flow.

Lever height is correct, zero rattle, cracking at 1", all OEM parts. The only difference is I used .218 springs instead of the usual .216 springs, could this be causing it? I will swap out spring for a .216 at some point to test myself but if anyone can shed any light on this I'd be most appreciative.

A massive thank you to @tridacna for helping source parts at much more reasonable prices than I could on most items and an apology for the headache it ended up causing him and I know he ended up out of pocket. A massive thank you to @Geo7 for very kindly, at no expense to me, sourcing and gifting 2 halo jam nuts on his dime, I owe you both big time. A thank you to @rsingler for his willingness to assist should the need have arisen.

Here they are. I paired them with a pretty all chrome Apeks FSR I unsealed for ease of servicing, the black and red decal paint fell off, I prefer the all chrome aesthetic. It's my warm water dream travel set. Note the custom chrome yoke knob.

Once again, thanks a million to you guys that helped make this possible.

Take care

Merry Christmas
Simon

314F653C-9818-4B92-A60B-3163F38AA447.jpeg
F272ED99-88F6-4459-B1B1-4B5852017020.jpeg
9066BBC1-031A-4365-BECC-8204E50DADF9.jpeg
7917904F-8FD3-4FBC-A5E4-F6CE8DE2B51F.jpeg
470DFC1A-FABE-4568-83A3-7980869CAD80.jpeg
2D90875A-1B14-4FF0-94B0-895743404B97.jpeg

Looks great Simon... Merry Christmas!

Nice setup!

Nice you acknowledge the Elf’s. Tis the Season :)

Simon,

I do not recall any wet breathing with mine, I believe I have one of your last few. I am very glad you have a gorgeous set of your own now.

Merry Christmas,
Michael

Simon,

I do not recall any wet breathing with mine, I believe I have one of your last few. I am very glad you have a gorgeous set of your own now.

Merry Christmas,
Michael

Thank you, you too.

Easy to check, look through side of exhaust cover, you'll either see a blue valve or a clear one.

Take care
Simon

Gorgeous set up! Thanks for this thread, it would be good to get an overview of parts availability for the G250V.

I recently got my hands on a pair, and the built quality was a revelation. Taking it apart and replacing the o-rings and poppet is so quick that I can't see the need for a floating seat-saver orifice (if you DIY service, that is). The thick housing, the coarse threads, the full length valve barrel, the chunky halo jam nut, all make this reg a real workhorse. I still have to try the G260 (just have not found an affordable one when I had some funds), but I assume it is as robustly built. I am actually also delighted to see that the S620ti is built with similar simplicity compared to the balance chamber of S600 versions (just wish the S-series had less cosmetics on it).

The S620ti will go into venturi freeflow on the surface, but my G250V will not. My Atomics, even with the venturi "tricked" into max on the surface*, will usually not. The D400s I tried to set up as sensitive as possible would also not freeflow. I do like strong venturi though.

So we have 3 G250Vs in this thread that won't freeflow. Perhaps a desirable quality for cave and tech divers. My question is if this is intentional on the G250V. I'd assume even with the same lever and orifice travel, the venturi vane shape may be sufficient for such changes.

*(on my primary Atomic that is in my mouth, I assemble the venturi vane in the "deep" position, so it is always on max, no matter the depth).

I missed out when you were selling the big batch of new old stock G250V's. My G250V will remain an orphan without an identical twin.

Back
Top Bottom