My kind of America

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems reasonable that possibly 8-10 officers were shooting at the suspect and considering most swat teams carry 10-15 round/ magazine, then each officer shot roughly 11 times. Doesn't sound too excessive to me. Just a thought!

As to the sheriff ...so he was dismissive of a typically hostile press...kinda wish he was there for the Haditha 7 ...instead of the spinless hand wringers in the USMC handling this case ...but thats just my opinion.

Which to me just goes to prove that the police shouldn't, by and large, be carrying guns. The ability to hit what you're aiming it is merely the start of some form of fire discipline, and a lack of discipline (be it around guns, car chases, or tasers, is one of the biggest reasons that innocent people get killed by cops.

It is actually a fairly significant problem nationwide.

As Nick mentioned, these guys are getting equipped with military grade weaponry, yet aren't even getting moderate levels of training.

I think the local LEO requirement is 4 hours on the firing range every year. With that little training it's a wonder they can find the trigger.

You are welcome to your opinion. You are not even close to the reasons innocents are injured. Once again I would direct you to BCJS and the studies conducted . I do not know what locality you speak of that has 4hrs annual qual. Most jurisdictions require more.

I would also suggest to you that you become part of the solution by revamping the way policing is done. Write a book, lobby Washington, get a TV program. Show us how it should be done. Tell us how to overcome manpower shortages, so that officers can get range time instead of working the street because there are not enough bodies to fill the cars. Tell us how to overcome budget shortfalls to purchase ammo for practice.

I would further suggest you research the items you state as fact regarding loss of life.

Kingpatzer, let me ask you a question are you still with the 160th?

I'm no longer in, I got out shortly after Somalia. Had some vertebrae problems from an accident (no not one that made it into a book or movie of the same name). I was a WO3 when I got out.

You guys lead the way, but only after we drop you off :wink:

I read the story and from my viewpoint they might have used too many rounds. They knew where he was, he was alone, he had a handgun and had already used several rounds from it to kill and wound three officers. I think a single shot in the form of a napalm cannister dropped on his head would have been sufficient. Or maybe a couple 105 anti personnel rounds would have done the job just as well.

If more of these animals were just executed on the spot my tax dollars would not be feeding and sheltering them for the rest of their lives. My nephew is a Pa state trooper and another is trying to get into the academy. We had a trooper killed here about a year ago execution style. They caught the bastard and he got life. Cpl Pokorny got a pine box for doing a routine traffic stop where the driver was a scumbag who should have been killed when he left the womb. Some people are just born bad and need killin'. Anyone who points a weapon at a police officer or refuses to drop their weapon or runs from the police is guilty of something and I have no issue with the cops dropping them like a mad dog.

On a lighter side considering the number of military on this thread my son went today and got his third stripe sewn on his uniform. Senior Airman Joshua E. Lapenta, Airborne Cryptologic Linguist. I am very proud that he chose to serve his country, his family, and his God. Instead of becoming some lowlife too lazy to pull his pants up, put a hat on straight, and wear a shirt that does not fit. God Bless All our men and women who serve and have served. My thanks, respect, and admiration is for you.

I read the story and from my viewpoint they might have used too many rounds. They knew where he was, he was alone, he had a handgun and had already used several rounds from it to kill and wound three officers. I think a single shot in the form of a napalm cannister dropped on his head would have been sufficient. Or maybe a couple 105 anti personnel rounds would have done the job just as well.

If more of these animals were just executed on the spot my tax dollars would not be feeding and sheltering them for the rest of their lives. My nephew is a Pa state trooper and another is trying to get into the academy. We had a trooper killed here about a year ago execution style. They caught the bastard and he got life. Cpl Pokorny got a pine box for doing a routine traffic stop where the driver was a scumbag who should have been killed when he left the womb. Some people are just born bad and need killin'. Anyone who points a weapon at a police officer or refuses to drop their weapon or runs from the police is guilty of something and I have no issue with the cops dropping them like a mad dog.

This is where I should probably point out that it is more expensive to execute someone than it is to put them in prison for life.

I should also point out that we have a justice system that works pretty well in this country and therefore we don't need police officers who are also on the spot executioners.

Should I also tell you stories like the one about the little old lady in Maryland who pointed a gun at a SWAT team and was dropped like a mad dog? The only thing she was guilty of was living in the house the SWAT team mistakenly served a no-knock warrant on. She woke up to a bunch of men kicking in her door and, naturally, went for her gun. But far be it from me to question the tactics of police officers. Clearly they never make mistakes.

On a lighter side considering the number of military on this thread my son went today and got his third stripe sewn on his uniform. Senior Airman Joshua E. Lapenta, Airborne Cryptologic Linguist. I am very proud that he chose to serve his country, his family, and his God. Instead of becoming some lowlife too lazy to pull his pants up, put a hat on straight, and wear a shirt that does not fit. God Bless All our men and women who serve and have served. My thanks, respect, and admiration is for you.

A cprypto linguist, eh? What language? I have a special place in my heart for Airforce Crypto Linguists. Well, the women anyway. Those ladies did a good job of keeping me company when I was at DLI. :D

Seriously though, congrats to him on the promotion.

The concept of suppression fire is a myth created by those who wish to justify bad shooting. Every shot should be well aimed at the intended target. If you're providing cover for a team member who is in an exposed position then you continue to aim in the direction of the target and fire only when you have a shot. You don't just pray and spray and hope you're getting close enough to scare the guy into staying down.

I worked with some of the best marksmen the U.S. military has to offer. If we so desired we could easily put 68 rounds into a target in a heartbeat. The point is there is really no reason to ever do so. Especially at close range 68 rounds isn't going to do any more than a well-disciplined, well-aimed, well-placed double tap will.

You have no idea what you are talking about. One person can empty a clip of 14 or 17 rounds in a tactical engagement in less than 10 seconds while "front sighting". They don't do bullseye when engaged. Multiply this by however many officers were there and you get the high round counts. This is something most people don't understand when they read these stories..... and you don't stop firing until the target is dead.

Might want to read that story I posted earlier where the perp was hit 7 times out of 14 shots. That is what it took to down him...in your book I suppose the officer should have stopped after hitting him a couple of times and asked if he was ready to say "Uncle".

I usually don't "flame" people but sorry, you are just clueless. Totally... and full of yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom