My Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhilK

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
G'day all I'm new to the forum and thought I'd post with the gear I've bought for my upcoming certification and dive trip. Dad is going through a kinda midlife crisis so agreed that if I got my certification with him he'd buy my gear - how could I say no?

I have a full body Neptune wetsuit without a hood etc, a Technisub Favola mask, an Aqualung Impulse 3 snorkel, a pair of Aqualung Slingshot fins, a pair of boots (not sure of brand though) and one of those squeeze lock knives from Wenoka. Not bad seeing as the old man shelled out for them right?

Is it good gear?

For the suit, what kind of temperature is the water you are diving in? Not sure how thick that suit is either.

With masks, fins and boots, just get something that fits you well so if the ones you have fit comfortably, great :). I find in Melbourne I have needed 5mm boots and gloves in winter, at about 11C, but if you are diving in warmer water thinner ones are fine.

The snorkel, well this is not important at all for diving imo, so I am sure what you have is fine :)

Hope your certification goes well!

The suit is 5mm I think, so pretty thick. I don't think I'll use it up North but I'll just dive in the stinger suit. The suit will be good for learning as I'll be doing it in colder waters and pool etc. No biggy if I don't use it, as it came free from my dive shop with the certification/lessons etc.

Phil-
Sounds OK. Any equipment someone else pays for is good equipment. Good luck with the course, and welcome to the board.

The suit is 5mm I think, so pretty thick. I don't think I'll use it up North but I'll just dive in the stinger suit. The suit will be good for learning as I'll be doing it in colder waters and pool etc. No biggy if I don't use it, as it came free from my dive shop with the certification/lessons etc.

Sounds good then! If you do heaps of diving in a day too, the 5mm should come in handy as you can still get cold in warmer waters after prolonged diving so you have an option to go to a thicker suit if the stinger suit is too cold. :)

5mm is a good versatile suit and you will end up with a neoprene wardrobe anyhow so it's a nice start.

Except got the knife it's all abnout fit.

Good luck in your class and take good care of dad,

Pete

Hello,

I use the same mask, snorkel, and fins and i couldn't be happier. The mask fits my face really well. The Slingshots are good too. Now you just need to convince dad to throw downs some cash for a BCD and your ready to go!!:wink:

I reckon we'll just hire BCs and tanks until we know we'll be diving a lot. Then we'll get BCs, regs etc.. But it'd be senseless if we bought them and then never dived again haha

I reckon we'll just hire BCs and tanks until we know we'll be diving a lot. Then we'll get BCs, regs etc.. But it'd be senseless if we bought them and then never dived again haha

Yea good idea! There are lots of helpful threads here about what types are good/what order to buy in, for when you are ready to get the rest of your gear. For your course, you're pretty much set with what you have :)

These are a few quick snaps of my gear.. I'm sure nobody really cares haha but I'm so excited :blush:

Wetty:
scubagear_001.jpg

My Slingshots. They're red not pink haha:
scubagear_002.jpg

Just my boots:
scubagear_006.jpg

Snorkel and mask. This isn't my snorkel, mine is red:
scubagear_007.jpg

Dive knife. Also not mine. Mine has charcoal squeeze locks:
scubagear_009.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back