My First Seahorse - Ft Wetherhill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heading to Ft Wetherill today, Friday July 19 for snorkel at 6-9 pm

Nope, after 3 hour drive got here to changed conditions, high wind from sea, higher waves and other divers reporting low viz. wait until next time.
At least i enjoyed a cranberry chocolate ice cream at Spinnakers in Jamestown, my Solace in my disappointment.

Heading out this thu to dive in the pm. Weather looks perfect with tide high and winds light from the e-ne. Bringing the camera. Fingers crossed. Will also dive fri early am.

I may head out there but I won't bring my camera because the housing flooded Sunday. :(

I just don't get it. I replaced that O-ring last year I hardly used it and kept it outside the housing when not in use to prevent compression. Now it's flooded and the camera is junk.

On the other extreme I have a camera housing I bought in 1995 same brand but a 35MM. I use the housing as a float for my flag/float reel, the reel is floating above and behind my head out of my way, held at my left shoulder by a rubber bungee loop. It also houses my car fob when I'm diving without my surface support, Mrs. AD. The point is I can't recall the last time I even looked at that O-ring, it's been years, no flooding. Go figure. I've got another fob, no backup camera.

I use the housing as a float for my flag/float reel, the reel is floating above and behind my head out of my way, held at my left shoulder by a rubber bungee loop.
So it wasn’t airtight enough to protect camera but it is airtight enough to be a float? What changed?
It is pouring rain up here, lightening too! so no getting in the water. Friday is looking perfect conditions but i have a Bio conference, so hoping there’ll be other chances.

So it wasn’t airtight enough to protect camera but it is airtight enough to be a float? What changed?
It is pouring rain up here, lightening too! so no getting in the water. Friday is looking perfect conditions but i have a Bio conference, so hoping there’ll be other chances.

Nothing changed, it's 2 different housings, one old, one not so old. Newer one with new O-ring flooded, old one is still air tight. The old one gets tossed around, the newer one for the camera I treat like an egg.

I am now the new owner of a pre owned Sealife DC1400 with strobe and video light!

I just can't fight this photog obsession. Is there a support group for this kind of madness?

I'm heading to FTW tomorrow Friday 26th probably get there around 9AM I'll be seahorse hunting with a snorkel then playing in the shallows with my double hose, 72cf w/ J60 valve. If anyone wants to dive let me know before 8AM Friday, I'll bring my real scuba gear too.

I will look for you and try to say hello. Dove ft w today at noon. 8-12 vis. Skate, small stripers, lots juve black sea bass but no seahorse or tropicals. Will be back tomorrow early am. Car is silver Subaru Crosstrek CT plates.

Cream colored Subaru Outback RI plates,Trump sticker. It'll be the only one in the lot. :)

Another beautiful day and dive at ft w. Flat calm, good vis, a couple schools bait fish and one very large flounder. Ad, sorry to have missed you. Ended up leaving around 9:15. Only one other diver, a nice solo diver from RI that drives a blue car and I always forget her name. Sorry about that.

Yeah, it was beautiful! I got there later closer to 10AM. Hey I'm retired I'm in no hurry. :wink: Next time tkaelin. Had a nice snorkel session then went thru half a 72 with the dbl hose. Above 20' the vis and clarity was very good; had I had a camera it would have been a nice day for it. No seahorses, but like tkelin posted lots of bait fish. Also lots of boats and yaks! I came up from 5fsw right along side a yak, not sure who was startled him or me.

Another costly dive. I went to the port a john, left my hood on the rock just outside, came out walked back to my car, after 5mins I realized my hood was still on the rock, only it wasn't, gone. So now I'm out a hooded vest and a hood. Not to mention a camera, 4 lbs of weights, a mesh bag and a depth gauge. Things are starting to add up.

If this keeps up I won't have to worry about getting to old to dive, I'll have no gear left! Maybe I should start spending more time at the gun club?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom