My First Seahorse - Ft Wetherhill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I packed up some gear and went to FTW today looking for Bubblesong's seahorse. I snorkeled around the shallows for an hour. Took a break, then grabbed an old 72 and a double hose reg and looked a little deeper, 10FSW for another hour. I didn't find Bubblesong's seahorse but I did however find a BIGGER one.

DSCN2618.JPG

These could have a range of lawns around the country.

If you're looking for seahorses try New Jersey. They are pretty common in bay areas just inside most inlets and in back bay areas close to those inlets. I can't remember ever looking for seahorses and not finding several. A few days ago a former student of mine had one attach itself to his crab trap while he was crabbing with his son at the northern end of Barnegat Bay near the Point Pleasant canal. He emailed me, excited by his catch. I told him it was no big deal, that it happens frequently.

So I spent an hour snorkeling around in the shallows at FTW today. The tide was low took a few pictures I haven't downloaded yet, nothing special, or good probably.
No seahorse yet. Two sets of eyes being better than one, Mrs.AD maybe up to a trip to FTW tomorrow afternoon if I get done at the range early enough. Got to qualify, with more than one gun, lots of shooting.

agilis, that's a drive to see a seahorse, thanks. Yaknow, Mrs.AD maybe willing to do the driving; she LOVES seahorses.

Erik, that chore I had tomorrow has been put on hold for now. I could be free in the PM for a dive and/or a night dive? I'll be calling you. Stand-by.

I was at Ft Wetherhill Sunday and got some pix in the shallows, despite the Sunday bathers, there were lots of critters. The sun was shining right through these two clear shrimp!
upload_2019-7-15_22-20-8.png

I use this page to check weather and conditions for Ft Wetherill. National Weather Service
If the wind is from West, it is calmer water. Lower wind and waves also help. So 8knots, 1-2 foot seas, w or nw or sw winds are good conditions.

I use this page to check weather and conditions for Ft Wetherill. National Weather Service
If the wind is from West, it is calmer water. Lower wind and waves also help. So 8knots, 1-2 foot seas, w or nw or sw winds are good conditions.

Have you tried: Marine Weather | Weather Underground It's a one stop weather page.

I'll be at FTW this AM maybe all day. Saturday I'll be in and underwater all day 96F the high!

I LOVE the summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PICT0034.JPG

I found a feather fish, at FTW yesterday :wink: This feather was stuck upright and waving in the surge. Little things amuse me.

Hey Bubblesong, thanks for starting this thread. I've been having a ball snorkeling around all day. I feel like I'm 12 years old again snorkeling around Stafford Pond in Tiverton. Only now I ride in a Subaru instead of on a bicycle to get to the water.

Nice even lighting on that picture, I’ve seen those feathers, along with a lot of other floaty stuff.
I am hoping to get back in there for an evening/night snorkel because I’ve heard the squid school even in five feet of water, and might be attracted to my dive light.
I also have a Fluorescence Blue light and yellow filter, although so far I’ve only seen fluorescing seaweed.

Atlantic Oyster Drill among sea wrack and green algae FTW.JPG Red Bearded sponge_green algae_sea wrack_slipper snails FTW.JPG

Here's a couple more I took Wed. that aren't too embarrassing to post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom