My first FG trip on the Spree coming up!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks again guys and gals. I talked to my doctor about the scopolamine patch, and she is all for it. And I was a Dan member before my OW training was done--my instructor told me about the $7K helicoptor rides as well.

Keep all this stuff coming. Getting all the info on the worst parts (ladders, seasickness, etc) is making the dives more exciting! Anyone else besides cudabait going?

In your AOW text on navigation, you probably remember reading on Natural Navigation (using landmarks to find your way). The FG is an excellent place to put this technique in play. Especially when you proceed far enough away from the line to lose it in the "haze".

As you proceed, turn around and look back the way you came. Try to find a very unusual piece of coral that you can remember it's shape as you return to it. Try to line it up with the previous land mark. Study long enough to memorize the features. Rinse and Repeat very often as you progress.

Then as you return, head for these landmarks in reverse order until you find the anchor line.

A compass can be used as an aide in this process, but don't depend fully upon it since even a slight current could push you off course without realizing it.

I made sure to practice this my last trip and it made foraging far away from the line more enjoyable since I knew the way back.

anyone else going on this trip besides cudabait?

Will be making my 3rd FG dive this year October 18-19. I've had a blast. As others have posted, be sure to watch out for the ladders. They can be a bit tricky.

The 2 times I've been out, seas were pretty calm (1-2 ft). The last time (August 9-10) DM's had to call the last dive at Stetson Bank due to currents.

Have a great time!

Knobber,

I'm going to be on the Fling. Maybe we'll meet at the dock or something. Have a great trip!!!

I will not repeat the good info you have already received. But to add some things, be sure to hold your mask and weight belt on entry as several people on our last trip lost theirs. Things get a little frantic during entry and recovery so try to saty alert for your opprotunity to go.

No one warned me about the gloves and it made for a rather difficult time on the lines. Have a good time. :D

well, trip's been cancelled due to high seas, so I guess I have to wait until about April to find out what I'm missing :upset:

knobber once bubbled...
well, trip's been cancelled due to high seas,

Welcome to diving in the Gulf of Mexico! Don't feel bad... I had 12 trips cancelled before I got out the first time.

As I found out this year Gulf diving is unpredictable. Went out on a private boat before labor day. 6" (inch) seas and no current. 100+ visibility. No luck since then

Knobber,

Too bad we won't get to go. However I've spent my share of time out there on boat rocking around in rough seas and it ain't worth it for a diving trip. Maybe see ya next time.

Back
Top Bottom