"My Father, The Captain"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, Francine was not la Bergere.

Not to digress but in Brad Matsen's book, Jacques Cousteau - The Sea King, how was it possible that JMC did not know of his father's relationship with Francine at the point their children together were in their early-teens? Even being French would not explain this assertion IMO...

I'd have to ask JMC himself to get the answer to that question. He may well have been aware. Personally, I think some of the animosity stems from the fact that JYC married Francine a mere 6 months after Simone died.

Spent the day with Jean-Michel out at Howlands' Landing on Catalina on Saturday. He was there to conduct the Cousteau Family Camp at the shared facility we arranged for him about 13 years ago. Joining him on the program were Dr. Richard "Murph" Murphy, his right hand science/education guy at TCS and now OceanFutures, and Pam Stacey who has written for JMC, TCS and OF for decades. I was on staff with both of them during the early Cousteau Project Ocean Search programs in the mid to late 1970s so it was a nice reunion.

I was surprised to have nearly three hours mostly one-on-one with Jean Michel as we caught up on one another's lives and current projects, as well as discussing a few ideas he and I had for future projects on Catalina and in the Cayman Islands.

I gave JMC two of my recent DVDs to watch while he is flying from engagement to engagement. Yesterday he said he was sending a copy of My Father, The Captain as a thank you. I told him that he should wait until he watches them as the only thing he might be thanking me for is a cure all for insomnia! Look forward to reading his book... I only got to page 20 on Amazon.com before they cut me off!

Murf%20JMC%20and%20me%20Cousteau%20Family%20Camp%202010%204955med.jpg

By the way, Friday morning I watched the first TCS documentary I've seen since JMC and Murph left TCS. It was the 2004 one on the return to the Red Sea. I was singularly unimpressed with the lack of vibrancy and energy in the documentary. It certainly lacked the spark the older ones under the Captain, Philippe and later JMC had. Francine's interviews were rather bland and her children certainly did not carry the show. However, I support all organizations that do what they can to inform the public, especially non-divers, about the ocean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom